Thread: AUG Change to .300BLK

AUG Change to .300BLK

I'm not eager to pollute the existing AUG thread with a wild proof of concept fantasy, but I'm kind of thinking that an AUG would be nicely improved in its HD / Urban role if it were a .300BLK. Seems like the magazines and bolt are fine as-is, but it would obviously require an altered barrel. Just to get started, who do we use to bore out a rifle barrel to a larger caliber?

Any thoughts on the project?

Since the current chamber is way longer than 300 BO, its a no-go. You'll need a new barrel & extension made for it - try calling the Austrians.

I think FN made the barrel in my A3, so I suppose they could crank one out. But is the .300 Blackout the right cartridge to pair with a bullpup? Is there any advantage to launching a .300BLK from a 16" barrel? Considering how the .300 is optimized for use with SBRs, it doesn't seem like it would take advantage of the bullpup design in the same way that 5.56mm does.

But I'm certainly no ballistics expert, so welcome comments from folks who know more about this than me.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think FN made the barrel in my A3, so I suppose they could crank one out. But is the .300 Blackout the right cartridge to pair with a bullpup? Is there any advantage to launching a .300BLK from a 16" barrel? Considering how the .300 is optimized for use with SBRs, it doesn't seem like it would take advantage of the bullpup design in the same way that 5.56mm does.

But I'm certainly no ballistics expert, so welcome comments from folks who know more about this than me.
    This is what I was thinking too. Not to mention the other benefit of .300, running suppressed, and that probably would take a LOT of effort to get working in the AUG.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Is there any advantage to launching a .300BLK from a 16" barrel?
    Well, presumably you get at least a little bit more velocity than a short barrel, which could be relevant with the supersonic loads, but conversely be counterproductive with the subsonics. It's probably not optimal, but that doesn't seem to have stopped people from buying 16" .300BLK ARs, right?

On the other hand, is there a technical reason you couldn't SBR an AUG? I mean, sure, you'd need to be really cognizant of the position of your support hand relative to the muzzle, and I imagine that with the muzzle closer to your face than an AR, it'd be pretty blasty, but from a technical feasibility standpoint, is there some reason it wouldn't function? You'd have the shortest shorty carbine ever, right...?

But is the .300 Blackout the right cartridge to pair with a bullpup? Is there any advantage to launching a .300BLK from a 16" barrel? Considering how the .300 is optimized for use with SBRs, it doesn't seem like it would take advantage of the bullpup design in the same way that 5.56mm does.
    For supersonic loads, I don't see a ballistic disadvantage to a 16" barrel over an SBR. To me, the advantage is that the 16" AUG is legal without all the NFA nonsense, and you get that benefit in a package whose OAL is more like an SBR than a conventional carbine. Not sure about availability, but the Desert Tech MDR looks interesting:

https://deserttech.com/product_overv...oduct_overview

I just read that Lithgow is planning an F90 in 300BO, so you might get a licensed variation of your wish!

From the Steyr Arms Facebook page...

Name:  IMG-2969-167044.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  45.6 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List