Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    SLG I've been using Tony since Pat (RIP brother) sent me there in 2011 but I'm UNC @ this time if Tony is still doing light holders.

Stated as a close friend/fellow LFer like me emailed him about one for his EAG Fury & his response is below.

" I don’t make light pouches at this time. Thanks

John “Tony” Mayer

JM Custom Kydex "

So w/ Tony not an option, my bud elected to buy one from Brian @ KyTex for $20. shipping included.
    Bill was asking about an IWB holster to accommodate the TLR6. I know for a fact that JMCustom can do those.

As far as light pouches go, of course it depends on the light as there are so many, but Rich at CCC has always made my light holders and has done an excellent job. You may have to send your light to him if he doesn't have it, but he has quite a few, and does great work.

What's the consensus on Nitecore lights? I never carried a flashlight before but am thinking about picking one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    What's the consensus on Nitecore lights? I never carried a flashlight before but am thinking about picking one up.
    I've had an excellent experience the past few months with a Nitecore HC30 headlamp which can do double duty as a handheld or clip-on light. (I use it twice nightly when taking the dog out in a wooded environment.)

Mine is the neutral white version. I only need to recharge every few weeks. Judging by the performance of this light I'd not hesitate to use one of their other products. (Though most all of my other lights are Surefire or Malkoffs.)

Edited to add:

I also get good performance from a pair of Nitecore chargers as well as the one 16650 Nitecore battery in my rotation.
    Last edited by blues; 01-22-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Bill was asking about an IWB holster to accommodate the TLR6. I know for a fact that JMCustom can do those.

As far as light pouches go, of course it depends on the light as there are so many, but Rich at CCC has always made my light holders and has done an excellent job. You may have to send your light to him if he doesn't have it, but he has quite a few, and does great work.
    The CCC light pouch is really nice in that it takes up very little real estate on a belt. As I type this, I am wearing one to carry a Klarus XT2C. The 1" diameter size works quite well for this light. I believe he offers one other standard size, as well as custom sizing.

The one caution would be not leaving the pouch in a hot car with the light in the pouch. This WILL ruin the retention, an issue I have not had with other Kydex gear. Rich fixed my pouch for free when I made this mistake even though it was my fault. These pouches are inexpensive enough that having more than one is probably wise.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    JM can do that right now.
    Good to know. Holster availability is probably the single biggest limiting factor re: weapon mounted lights, and I like the fact that JM offers a 10 degree cant option.

I completely agree with your previous post re: the usefulness or lack thereof regarding weapon mounted lights. I always have a handheld light on my person if I am carrying a gun, and that light is more capable than anything I could reasonably conceal mounted to the gun. As non-military, non-LEO, if I have a reason to search something outside of my own home, there are strong reasons to have my gun holstered, and if I really expect to find what I am looking for, calling the police and letting them do it would be wiser. So, for me a WML is a low priority but a nice option to have if I am not compromising something else to have it.

I am at least as interested in the laser as the light. I removed the Crimson Trace LaserGrip from my G26 shortly after I installed it for exactly the reasons you describe in your post. Even though the Crimson Trace lasers work for me on a few other guns, it compromises my grip on a Glock. Since I wear glasses, which could be lost or damaged in a situation that prompts the need for a gun, having that alternative sighting system could be helpful. Even though the activation is not as convenient as Crimson Trace, having the laser without messing up my grip would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    I had a MT26 that I was very pleased with but I sold it to fund....something. Wish I still had it.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Flashlights in 2017...
    Streamlight released a few new products this week:
    http://www.streamlight.com/products/...s/new-products
    Since I've been on a quest to remove the CR123 lights from my inventory, the Dual Fuel 18650/CR123 models are exactly what I've been looking for. I've been pondering a Nitecore P12 or Streamlight ProTac HL USB as a new EDC light, but the ProTac 2L-X is up at the top right now. As it is right now, before the end of the year, the only CR123 lights I'll have will be my X300s and an older Surefire G2 (halogen) that I keep around for really foggy nights.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The Dualie line looks very interesting, price depending.
    I asked Streamlight about pricing and availability and this was the reply I got via social media (believe this was MSRP, but I forgot to ask):

Quote Originally Posted by Streamlight
    HL-X is $200, available end of March; 2LX is $85, available mid-February; headlamp is $145 or $155 depending on the model and will be available in April. Hope this helps!
    Given the MSRP vs. Street Price of their other lights, things are looking pretty good on that front.

EDIT: I might have gotten the Dual Fuel mixed up with the Dualie models in your post. Disregard if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    The Protac Rail Mount XL-X looks pretty good. I need a couple of rifle lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, I'm looking at those instead of Scout Lights I was looking at, big bonus that the ProTac rail mounts take Scout mounts. I'm a Surefire fanboy, but they're falling behind (IMO) on the rechargeable front.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 01-24-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    ...a 4sevens quark tactical 2x123a cell(I bought 5 when I heard they had to change the switching because of the lawsuit).
    I'm not very happy about the current state of the market, so I found what works and got a bunch of them.
    If you could elaborate on the features 4sevens had to eliminate due to Surefire's lawsuit? I couldn't find any trustworthy explanation as to what's missing on the later (current) versions that make them less desirable for this role. I'm liking the Protac 1L-AA I just bought, but the 2x123 quark lights are barely a 1/4" longer with the benefit of twice the capacity in a light barely 1/4" longer. But I don't want to buy one of the new ones if it's flawed in some way not obvious to me.

A little PSA for my fellow flashlight addicts: Foursevens still has NOS QP2L-X lights on eBay for $25. I just got two and have to agree with all of you who praise this light, it's awesome. Perfect size-output ratio and great switching for a "tactical" light that also excels at utility tasks. With a 16650, no need to burn up all of your 123's either.
    Also, Armytek has some pretty good deals on their site right now. Just received one of their Viking V3 lights for $55 right off their website. It seems to be a VERY well built light. We'll see how it holds up over time, but for an outdoor/camping/hiking light it seems like a good fit. 50m waterproof, 30m impact resistance should be enough to stand up anything I can do.
    Last edited by Chefdog; 02-01-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I asked Streamlight about pricing and availability and this was the reply I got via social media (believe this was MSRP, but I forgot to ask):
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamlight
    HL-X is $200, available end of March; 2LX is $85, available mid-February; headlamp is $145 or $155 depending on the model and will be available in April. Hope this helps!
    Given the MSRP vs. Street Price of their other lights, things are looking pretty good on that front.
    They finally dropped on LAPG, I'm liking what I'm seeing here for street price:
    Streamlight ProTac 2L X Flashlight, $54.99
    Streamlight ProTac HL X Flashlight, $89.99
    Streamlight ProTac Railmount HL X Long Gun Light, $119.99

Soon as the cash is available, a couple Railmount HL X and 2L X/HL X lights will be in my hands. Already have the 18650 batteries waiting for them.

User Tag List