Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilson Combat .458 Socom

Pretty cool, George.

I'm curious: how does the .50 Beowulf stack up against the 458?

Once vetted, will the 458 become your go to GP rifle, to include short range hunting?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Looks pretty serious in the video. I had no idea these things kicked that hard.
    That is what happens when you launch a 540 power factor BB out of a six pound AR.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Pretty cool, George.

I'm curious: how does the .50 Beowulf stack up against the 458?

Once vetted, will the 458 become your go to GP rifle, to include short range hunting?
    I am not too familiar with the Beowulf these days. Either SteveB or I had something like that years ago, and it wasn't reliable, as I recall.

Once proven I would like to take the Socom bear hunting, but it doesn't shoot flat enough for where we moose and caribou hunt. I do see the Socom as a possible replacement for the SBS Benelli.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is what happens when you launch a 540 power factor BB out of a six pound AR.

I am not too familiar with the Beowulf these days. Either SteveB or I had something like that years ago, and it wasn't reliable, as I recall.

Once proven I would like to take the Socom bear hunting, but it doesn't shoot flat enough for where we moose and caribou hunt. I do see the Socom as a possible replacement for the SBS Benelli.
    We had a pair of Beowulf uppers; between the two of them, we couldn't get through a mag of ammo without multiple FTF issues.

I do see the Socom as a possible replacement for the SBS Benelli.
    The shotgun would seem sleeker and easier to carry; is it the greater capacity or the terminal effect that would make the SOCOM more attractive?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The shotgun would seem sleeker and easier to carry; is it the greater capacity or the terminal effect that would make the SOCOM more attractive?

The shotgun and Socom weigh about the same. The shotgun has a sleeker shape, assuming you do not have a pistol grip. The shotgun likely hits harder with Brenneke slugs than the Socom with Barnes.

The Socom has a better trigger. The Socom has better optics mounting, with QD options to ditch an optic quickly. The Socom has better iron sights. The Socom recoils less. Socom is easier to sling. Socom is easier to reload. Socom has an easy to adjust LOP stock. Socom holds more ammo. Socom is easier to shoot fast. Socom is easier to shoot at distance. Socom is more accurate.

The shotgun and Socom....
    Well, let us know when you've had some time to put some thought into it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Nice rifle.

Bigger bores are always going to do better with shorter barrels but 1800 FPS is too slow for my liking/needs.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I continue to shoot the .458, and have yet to have a stoppage. Bill says they are expanding their ammo choices in this caliber, with a lower cost shooter load.

He also has been using a .338 Federal in an AR with good success on hogs and deer.

The shotgun and Socom weigh about the same. The shotgun has a sleeker shape, assuming you do not have a pistol grip. The shotgun likely hits harder with Brenneke slugs than the Socom with Barnes.

The Socom has a better trigger. The Socom has better optics mounting, with QD options to ditch an optic quickly. The Socom has better iron sights. The Socom recoils less. Socom is easier to sling. Socom is easier to reload. Socom has an easy to adjust LOP stock. Socom holds more ammo. Socom is easier to shoot fast. Socom is easier to shoot at distance. Socom is more accurate.
    Well; yeah THAT.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Fancy east coast guys, like my friend SteveB, have Blaser packages -- high end, multi caliber kits. Being Bill W's unofficial (and unpaid) marketing adviser, I suggested the redneck equivalent to a Blaser kit, consisting of a Wilson .308 with .458 Socom and .338 Federal barrels. That would allow a guy to do bear, hogs and terrorists all in one handy kit.

User Tag List