Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabe White Standards

Site Supporter
    I shot each drill 3-5 times yesterday.

M&P 2.0 9mm
    JMCK IWB at 3:00
    Untucked t-shirt

Bill Drill. I couldn't pull this off with an adjusted time under 2.00. If the time was good enough I dropped shots.

2.87 -0 = 2.62
    2.46 -1 = 2.46
    2.05 -2 = 2.30
    2.15 -1 = 2.15
    2.01 -1 = 2.01

Failure to Stop

2.30 -1 = 2.30
    2.13 -0 = 1.88
    1.87 -1 = 1.87
    1.88 -0 = 1.63

Immediate Incapacitation. I tried too hard to make good hits on this and ended up dropping shots and being slower that I should have been. These times are much slower than the head shots on my FAST runs when I trusted myself to make the shots. What'd the dude in The Last Samurai say? "Too many mind." That was me.

2.21 -0 = 1.96
    2.13 -1 = 2.13
    2.24 -1 = 2.24

Split Bill. This is flat out fun to shoot.

3.35 -2 = 3.60
    2.55 -1 = 2.55
    2.65 -0 = 2.40

I enjoyed these. I'm not happy with the shots I dropped and would rather see slightly slower but clean times. I do feel like I'm knocking off the winter rust though so I think I can improve on the times and consistency fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    FYI to anyone getting confused on terminology, I updated a couple of the drill names as I was standing up my website. Nothing about the shooting, engagement sequences, times, or test protocols has changed. Just a couple of names.

Bill Drill (6 to the body)
    Failure to Stop (2 to the body, 1 to the head)
    Immediate Incapacitation (2 to the head)
    Split Bill Drill (4 to the body, 2 to the head)

Many thanks to everyone who has been shooting these. It's really fun to see them put to use and see how people do! Great video and shooting, nwhpfan.
    Gabe,
    I'm going offer my course feedback here.

I have no idea how to adjust the packed syllabus to fit anything different in but . . .

It struck me that it might be cool and street relevant to have a SHO block.

Maybe added to the four tests, maybe substituted for the BD which as I've said, I detest and which at high technical shooting levels (splits in the teens) means shooting faster than reactions can process changes in the situation such as innocents moving into a dangerous zone etc.

IDK. Maybe just a block of instruction and reps. SHO sure came in handy on Day 2 during the movement shooting phase.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-04-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

JHC, that's a fair point and thank you. The dilemma is exactly what you said - curriculum is pretty packed already...

It was so fantastic to get to meet and train with you for a couple days. Thanks for coming!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

So I really like this drill because it's fast and easy so I ran it with my AR. Would be interested in hearing what others are getting for times.

Last edited by nwhpfan; 04-21-2017 at 10:19 PM.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    So I really like this drill because it's fast and easy so I ran it with my AR. Would be interested in hearing what others are getting for times.
    Nice, presently working on these with a Glock 19 and Glock 26, but I will try with an AK the next time I take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post

Unfortunately, USPSA has taken the fun out of low ready PCC starts, and classifiers mainly now start with butt on belt and muzzle down range, adding .4-.5 to shot 1.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Finally got around to running this. Had a rocky day of it, got it on video and it is what it is.

I will make some personal observations as learning points in my notations if / when I reference this again or update.

I have been playing with a red dot quite a bit and a new "gamer rig" where the holster is a bit further forward and a bit more rear cant. I ran this drill on video with my usual set up that is seen in many of my vids. I will note that I was having a heck of a time establishing a good grip out of the holster. With even the minor changes in either set up, it made a notable difference, at least for myself. Even though I run appendix and regular duty OWB position, I don't have issues. But from the "gamer rig" to my normal set up, they are too similar but with a slight enough of a difference to throw me off. I guess I need to make the 2 more holsters OWB more similar in positioning. Great reminder and learning point for me.

I was completely cold and I took that opportunity to test myself and attempt to run at a pace that I thought I could achieve all clean runs, or at least 90+% accuracy. I didn't want to game anything at least for the first time shooting it. Don't get me wrong as I am eager to really press the pace in future runs.

I think I ran it correct where I ran each stage 2X then move on to the next. I didn't have the print out at the range but it looks like I got the drill sequence correct.

Annotations are for my future reference.

Bill Drill
    1st Run - 2.28 clean (nothing stellar, a bit slow, but a solid run. I'll take this cold @ 90% hit speeds all day.)
    2nd Run - 2.16 clean (Again nothing amazing but another solid I'll take it run.)

2 Body, 1 Head
    1st Run - 1.86 clean (terrible grip out of the holster)
    2nd Run - 1.86 clean (nothing stellar, think I slowed a bit after a poor grip from prior run. Still disappointed even on a clean run)

2 to the Head
    1st Run - 2.05 clean (terrible grip out of the holster, slowed to ensure hits)
    2nd Run - 1.70 clean (solid presentation, a bit slower than I would like, as prior, I think I get more deliberate following a poor draw on a the run just prior)

Turbo F2S
    1st Run - 2.78 - .25 (Another horrible grip, video shows the attempted re-grip in the holster. Very poor run)
    2nd Run - 2.52 - clean (Nothing crazy, but the run went well. Decent 90% pace.)

Overall it is a tough set of standards especially if you are at the borderline Turbo levels of speeds. Not too long where it is easy to lose focus, but just long enough where you need to stay on your game for 8 solid runs.

I didn't have the printed course or rankings when I shot the drills, but looking at them now I do think that the 2 to the head, Turbo time, is a bit forgiving and the Bill Drill and Turbo F2S is pretty tight. Even though I shoot sub 2's on the bill drill probably in the 50% to 60% range when I am really going all out, I do think sub 2.0 is tough, especially cold at a 90% consistency pace. Not sure what I would shoot a Turbo F2S completely cold @ a 90% pace. It will be interesting to try that out.

I would like to try this AIWB and from my ALS/SLS as I might opt for the bonus .25 seconds as I know my draws are pretty similar, I don't think they are a full quarter second slower. As Nwhpfan did, I might also want to run the rifle and come up with some times. Comparatively speaking I am better with a rifle than I am with a pistol, so that could be interesting.

Great time running the drill and I can see how this thing can make me want to chase that rabbit. I know I can definitely run Turbo times for each drill, but stringing them together for 8 runs WITH acceptable consistency will be my personal challenge. It is cool seeing great shooters here in this thread do their thing and always makes me want to push myself to keep up with you guys!

Thanks for the drill Gabe. Now I am going to be running all kinds of variations with this.

Edited to add video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-F46hrlFE&t=40s
    Last edited by Surf; 05-06-2017 at 03:19 AM.

I guess this is what I shot the other day after shooting a bunch of slow fire groups. I shot it once with my G-17 and once with my CZ75. Dark Pin runs all around. I can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Finally got around to running this. Had a rocky day of it, got it on video and it is what it is.

I will make some personal observations as learning points in my notations if / when I reference this again or update.

I have been playing with a red dot quite a bit and a new "gamer rig" where the holster is a bit further forward and a bit more rear cant. I ran this drill on video with my usual set up that is seen in many of my vids. I will note that I was having a heck of a time establishing a good grip out of the holster. With even the minor changes in either set up, it made a notable difference, at least for myself. Even though I run appendix and regular duty OWB position, I don't have issues. But from the "gamer rig" to my normal set up, they are too similar but with a slight enough of a difference to throw me off. I guess I need to make the 2 more holsters OWB more similar in positioning. Great reminder and learning point for me.

I was completely cold and I took that opportunity to test myself and attempt to run at a pace that I thought I could achieve all clean runs, or at least 90+% accuracy. I didn't want to game anything at least for the first time shooting it. Don't get me wrong as I am eager to really press the pace in future runs.

I think I ran it correct where I ran each stage 2X then move on to the next. I didn't have the print out at the range but it looks like I got the drill sequence correct.

Annotations are for my future reference.

Bill Drill
    1st Run - 2.28 clean (nothing stellar, a bit slow, but a solid run. I'll take this cold @ 90% hit speeds all day.)
    2nd Run - 2.16 clean (Again nothing amazing but another solid I'll take it run.)

2 Body, 1 Head
    1st Run - 1.86 clean (terrible grip out of the holster)
    2nd Run - 1.86 clean (nothing stellar, think I slowed a bit after a poor grip from prior run. Still disappointed even on a clean run)

2 to the Head
    1st Run - 2.05 clean (terrible grip out of the holster, slowed to ensure hits)
    2nd Run - 1.70 clean (solid presentation, a bit slower than I would like, as prior, I think I get more deliberate following a poor draw on a the run just prior)

Turbo F2S
    1st Run - 2.78 - .25 (Another horrible grip, video shows the attempted re-grip in the holster. Very poor run)
    2nd Run - 2.52 - clean (Nothing crazy, but the run went well. Decent 90% pace.)

Overall it is a tough set of standards especially if you are at the borderline Turbo levels of speeds. Not too long where it is easy to lose focus, but just long enough where you need to stay on your game for 8 solid runs.

I didn't have the printed course or rankings when I shot the drills, but looking at them now I do think that the 2 to the head, Turbo time, is a bit forgiving and the Bill Drill and Turbo F2S is pretty tight. Even though I shoot sub 2's on the bill drill probably in the 50% to 60% range when I am really going all out, I do think sub 2.0 is tough, especially cold at a 90% consistency pace. Not sure what I would shoot a Turbo F2S completely cold @ a 90% pace. It will be interesting to try that out.

I would like to try this AIWB and from my ALS/SLS as I might opt for the bonus .25 seconds as I know my draws are pretty similar, I don't think they are a full quarter second slower. As Nwhpfan did, I might also want to run the rifle and come up with some times. Comparatively speaking I am better with a rifle than I am with a pistol, so that could be interesting.

Great time running the drill and I can see how this thing can make me want to chase that rabbit. I know I can definitely run Turbo times for each drill, but stringing them together for 8 runs WITH acceptable consistency will be my personal challenge. It is cool seeing great shooters here in this thread do their thing and always makes me want to push myself to keep up with you guys!

Thanks for the drill Gabe. Now I am going to be running all kinds of variations with this.

Will edit with video a bit later.
    Surf, that is super cool you ran those drills, thanks!
    Definitely looking forward to checking out the video and hearing about any of the variations you try out.

The main write up with the protocols, scoring, and awards is here: http://www.gabewhitetraining.com/performance-awards/

As tests in class, the Turbo level is intended to be ROUGHLY similar in difficulty to winning a FAST Coin or what would be considered M/GM-level shooting, though my tests are narrower in scope. In class you shoot them warmed up and having practiced them but if you care about the results then stress comes with that for a lot of people, myself definitely included. There are plenty of shooters who can meet or exceed the Turbo level, but I also think that it's hard enough that basically no one will be able to phone it in.

I even added them to The Chart, because I love adding things to The Chart, rough as it may be:

[img]The Chart by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    [img]The Chart by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    I...I have a crazy hyperbolic curve of diminishing returns to climb.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

User Tag List