Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabe White Standards

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I shot these today and saw a decent improvement from last time.

My adjusted times for concealment were
    Bill Drill:
    3.44 -1C = 3.44
    2.88 -1C = 2.88

F2S
    3.13 -0= 2.88
    2.76 -0= 2.51

2H
    2.77 -0 =2.52
    2.78 -1B= 2.78

4B2H
    4.11 -1B= 4.11
    4.02 -1B= 4.02

I really like these. They are very challenging for me. I had a bad trigger freeze/ oh crap moment on the first bill drill. My sights were way off target and I realized it so I had to readjust and it resulted in a .61 split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's great to see you are improving on last time!

You may be able to get a little time off your draw moving your hands a little faster/more explosively in general, but especially between the time the gun is coming out of the holster and it is arriving at its final position. Moving faster during that portion can definitely net you some time - and ultimately you'll still have to balance that with getting the motions (especially grip) right too.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Well...I can't sticky anything if that's what you're asking for, but this thread seems like a good place to put them. PDF attached too, so you can download if you want.

---

Pistol Shooting Solutions

Technical Skills Testing

USPSA Metric or IDPA target at 7 yards, 3x5 or 4" circle added to the head.

Three start positions allowed - hands at sides, hands high torso, hands at surrender/opportunity. No extra shots allowed.

Scored time-plus:
    A/-0/4" circle = no penalty
    B/C/-1 = + 0.25 second per shot
    D/-3 = + 1 second per shot
    Miss = + 2 seconds per shot
    Head shots that land in the body count as misses.
    Body shots that land in the head are lucky shots that will be scored.

Times listed are for open-carried, non-retention gear. Concealment or duty gear (SLS+ALS minimum) gets a 0.25 second bonus (subtraction) on all drills.

The four drills are shot two times each. The highest-scoring four out of the eight total attempts will count for performance awards.

Turbo Pin - A highly developed level of excellence in core technical skills of drawing and shooting.
    Bill Drill, 2.00 (1.00 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .20)
    Failure to Stop, 1.70 (1.00 + .20 + .50)
    Two to the head, 2.00 (1.50 + .50)
    4 body 2 head, 2.60 (1.00 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .50 + .50)

Light Pin – An early stage of excellence in core technical skills of drawing and shooting.
    Bill Drill, 2.50 (1.25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25)
    Failure to Stop, 2.25 (1.25 + .25 + .75)
    Two to the head, 2.50 (1.75 + .75)
    4 body 2 head, 3.50 (1.25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .75 + .75)

Dark Pin – A tactical level of proficiency in core technical skills of drawing and shooting.
    Bill Drill, 3.50 (1.50 + .40 + .40 + .40 + .40 + .40)
    Failure to Stop, 2.90 (1.50 + .40 + 1.00)
    Two to the head, 3.00 (2.00 + 1.00)
    4 body 2 head, 4.70 (1.50 + .40 + .40 + .40 + 1.00 + 1.00)
    Thanks. Maybe Tom can do it. I bought some IDPA targets just for this test and Seeklander's (Wilson's) 5x5. My times are so bad I wondered if I was making it overly difficult with a B8 and 3x5. Probably not

Site Supporter
    Ran my best three consecutive Bill drills ever today. 2.19, 2.11, 2.05 Clean. Got so excited that temporarily forgot how to shoot, so blew the other drills. I think I finally found the correct grip for Sig 320 and good holster position (15:00 OWB.) for speed.

I struggle with Bill drills the most. I don't haev that magic fast finger that some have to the trick seems to be a fast draw, yet with my strong hand relaxed enough to let my trigger finger fly (I mean waddle) and a weak hand grip strong enough to manage recoil. I'm also prone to a time hiccup smewhere in the string which can easily add another 0.2s.

Doing this all together - with consistency - is my challenge. But like you, I am getting close...
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Out of the four drills, I find the Bill the hardest too.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I struggle with Bill drills the most. I don't haev that magic fast finger that some have to the trick seems to be a fast draw, yet with my strong hand relaxed enough to let my trigger finger fly (I mean waddle) and a weak hand grip strong enough to manage recoil. I'm also prone to a time hiccup smewhere in the string which can easily add another 0.2s.

Doing this all together - with consistency - is my challenge. But like you, I am getting close...
    Just pick a day to do lots of Bills with a buttload of ammo. It's fun to make that much noise, and if you fail you're only out the ammo.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

With the Bills, the draw is the single largest element that can be shaved for overall time gains. There's not a lot to be had with the splits once you are under about 0.25. But with the draw, once the overall physical movement is pretty efficient, shaving time is mostly about firing with less stopping the gun and less aiming. For a long time I have always tended to push that first shot a bit, firing with the gun still in motion and the visual reference a little coarser than seeing a sight picture stopped on target. The last couple of times I have worked on Bills though, I have felt like maybe I got a better overall combination of time and hits from more stopping the gun, more aiming, more locking up the gun in its firing position, and then running the six actual shots a bit harder. Definitely going to keep working with this.
    Lord of the Food Court

I especially enjoy two of the Gabe tests, the 2H and F2S, as they are ammo efficient, and test things I am particularly interested in. Today at the range, shortly after arriving, I shot them with the PX4C. Here is the Beretta:

Next, I decided to shoot these two tests with my Carry Optics gear, in this case a G17 MOS with a DP Pro. Don't believe I have tried these tests from open carry, and obviously the time constraints are .25 less.

Finally, I shot these two tests with a Legion 226 that I got back yesterday from Robert Burke, with a trigger job.

Didn't write it down, and it has been a few hours, but as I recall I was 9 or 10 out of the 12 tests. Wish I ran the tests from an AIWB with my 17 MOS, as I felt fastest with that pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

GJM,

What did you think about the Sig, especially the trigger, coming from the EL and the G? Harder to shoot? Just as easy?

I like the Beretta, Sig and Glock. Don't notice much absolute difference on these two drills. The Beretta feels more like my Tacoma TRD Pro and the Sig 226 more like what I imagine Darryl's Raptor to handle like.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List