Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabe White Standards

Gabe White Standards

So I shot the Gabe White standards over the weekend and I video’ d it - only to realize I didn't have a card or circle in the head box so I won't post that video since I technically didn't do it correct.

But after I shot it in USPSA gear I shot it concealed. Admittedly I don't shoot from concealed near enough and I had a hard time with the Bill Drill.

So I set up FAST to see which was tougher - Gabe White Standards vs. FAST.

Last edited by nwhpfan; 10-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    A71593

Nice shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Nice shooting!
    No kidding. I am fortunate enough to get to shoot USPSA with nwhpfan pretty regularly. He is simply an outstanding shooter.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Dude, I used the google machine and it failed me...what are the "Babe White Standards?"
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Dude, I used the google machine and it failed me...what are the "Babe White Standards?"
    Everyone knows I am a babe but that doesn't mean I want to hear it from you.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    what are the
    From my training journal:

I've been working on a set of performance goals and awards to use in classes I conduct away from my main home range. There are a few ideas I tried to incorporate. I wanted a graduated set of goals. I wanted the hardest set of goals to be rather difficult, somewhere in the ballpark of what would considered M/GM performance, or could win a FAST Coin, etc. They certainly don't translate exactly, but I think they are roughly similar at least, and are based in recognized levels of M/GM performance where I've been able to discern it.

A core element I also wanted to incorporate into the scoring was a philosophy of shooting for As, rather than one of guaranteeing As. My personal belief is that the concept of truly guaranteeing hits is somewhat illusory, and even to the extent one can do that, attempting to guarantee hits costs a lot of time compared to simply making an earnest attempt at hitting all the shots. That may be a subtle philosophical and semantics difference, but I think it is there. It's not about wanting to shoot Cs, it's about a modest level of tolerance for a low rate of error in briskly attempting to put some rounds where they really need to go, right now.

Hopefully there is no misunderstanding - I am not countenancing clean misses. This is about the difference between more/less desirable hits, all of which strike the threat. I think that in most cases, shooting for As will lead to a stronger overall combination of accuracy and time, at least outside of circumstances involving a highly sensitive shot that carries a huge, real-world penalty for putting a shot outside the most desirable scoring zone (such as a hostage shot or similar.) That idea is reflected in the moderate penalty assigned to B and C-zone hits. A person's score isn't going to be automatically and irretrievably ruined by one B or C, but it would certainly be difficult to overcome if one were attempting to reach the higher threshold of goals. Ds and misses are punished pretty hard and will ruin score quickly. When I want there to be a more sensitive shot, I add specific, physical representations of that to the drill (no-shoots.) This basic, core set of drills represents a single adversary with identified clear line of fire.

Four drills comprise this performance testing. They are simple draw-and-shoot drills on a single, open target at 7 yards, that I think can reasonably represent pretty simplistic acts of self-defense with a handgun. Certainly, many other elements can and will be involved in self-defense, but these focus on the core technical skills of drawing and shooting a single adversary. The four drills are: Bill (draw, shoot 6 COM), Failure to Stop (draw, shoot 2 COM and 1 CNS), Two to the Head (draw, shoot 2 CNS), and Four Body Two Head (draw, shoot 4 COM and 2 CNS - a more intense and difficult version of the Failure to Stop.)

Everyone practices those four drills in different parts of the class, then I come by and time and score each person on two runs, for a total of eight attempts, two on each of the four drills by the time class is done. The best four of eight attempts count for score. This is slightly less consistency than TLG required for the FAST Coin - that was 2/3 successful attempts - but more consistency than the USPSA Classification system requires, which cherry-picks only the best scores over a long period of time.

Special pins are awarded for reaching certain thresholds of performance on at least four of the eight attempts.

I posted this set of drills up for a recent DotW (pins are not available except in person with me) here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hoot-Challenge

In a few weeks we'll shoot the same drills in another DotW (unrelated to official awards in class), but with no-shoots present.

One other quick comment - I think standards is the wrong word to describe these. To me, the term 'standards' refers to an obligated level of performance, and if you can't do it all the time, then you are wrong. These are intended to be difficult goals to reach for. I specifically set the Turbo threshold to be difficult enough that almost no one would be able to easily walk through them at 100% without effort. I certainly can't.

Here's the breakdown of scoring and the pin awards:

USPSA Metric or IDPA target at 7 yards, 3x5 or 4" circle added to the head.

Three start positions allowed - hands at sides, hands high torso, hands at surrender/opportunity. No extra shots allowed.

Scored time-plus:
    A/-0/4" circle = no penalty
    B/C/-1 = + 0.25 second per shot
    D/-3 = + 1 second per shot
    Miss = + 2 seconds per shot
    Head shots that land in the body count as misses.
    Body shots that land in the head are lucky shots and will be scored.

Times listed are for open-carried, non-retention gear. Concealment or duty gear (SLS/ALS minimum) gets a 0.25 second bonus (subtraction) on all drills.

Turbo Pin - A highly developed level of excellence in core technical skills of drawing and shooting.
    Bill Drill, 2.00 (1.00 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .20)
    Failure to Stop, 1.70 (1.00 + .20 + .50)
    Two to the head, 2.00 (1.50 + .50)
    4 body 2 head, 2.60 (1.00 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .50 + .50)

Light Pin – An early stage of excellence in core technical skills of drawing and shooting.
    Bill Drill, 2.50 (1.25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25)
    Failure to Stop, 2.25 (1.25 + .25 + .75)
    Two to the head, 2.50 (1.75 + .75)
    4 body 2 head, 3.50 (1.25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .75 + .75)

Dark Pin – A tactical level of proficiency in core technical skills of drawing and shooting.
    Bill Drill, 3.50 (1.50 + .40 + .40 + .40 + .40 + .40)
    Failure to Stop, 2.90 (1.50 + .40 + 1.00)
    Two to the head, 3.00 (2.00 + 1.00)
    4 body 2 head, 4.70 (1.50 + .40 + .40 + .40 + 1.00 + 1.00)

The pins - from left to right, Dark Pin, Light Pin, Turbo Pin (Five Animal Prints.) If you are excellent enough to win the Turbo Pin, you get to pick the animal print you would like to have, out of leopard, snow leopard, tiger, alligator, or elephant - it pays to win. Though I suspect tiger is the one everyone will pick since it arguably looks the nicest.

[img]20160926_145412 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    Lord of the Food Court

Getting on this tomorrow at the range. That Bill Drill under 2 seconds is what makes it spicy!
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

I'm extremely jealous of the lack of snow and miserable temperatures.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Smokin shooting mannnnn. This thread is like the essence of PF.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So did this cold today....after a very good new year's eve....

Hope you don't mind me posting here since I can't read and did not do two consecutive strings and follow the format on the DOTW thread.

Did it with the Roland Special. AIWB with a NICkydex holster. Concealed with t-shirt = -.25 off time

IPSC Metric with 3x5

Times were:

Bill: 2.73 + 1 C .25 - .25 = 2.73.....Dark Pin level.....this was a complete shit show today lol.
    FTS: 2.16 = 2 C .50 - .25 = 2.41....Dark Pin level....Charlies f'in killing me.
    2TH: 2.06 - .25 = 1.81....Turbo Pin level
    4B2H: 2.79 - .25 - 2.54...Turbo Pin level

Fucked myself with a fumbled draw on the Bill and the Charlies. It did however lead to a great discussion with Tim Herron on how to fix some stuff.

FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

User Tag List