Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Like guns, it's all dependent on your application.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.... I thought the only acceptable solution was a Glock 19...

I would't mind adding a 5" full suspension bike...

That's the direction I went for a utility, do everything trail bike. A 5" 29er. I wound up buying an Ibis Ripley LS. Super fast and stable descender, yet still really nimble. Manuals like a champ and it's probably the best technical climbing bike I've ever owned; Mr. Weagle, turns out, knows his shit. I've been riding a VPP rear end for about 10 years and this is my first DW link bike. Super impressed.

I've heard great things about the SB95 but haven't gotten a chance to demo one; same general class and the Ripley.

And pics, b/c...well, pics...

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    That's the direction I went for a utility, do everything trail bike. A 5" 29er. I wound up buying an Ibis Ripley LS. Super fast and stable descender, yet still really nimble. </Snip>

And pics, b/c...well, pics...
    Man that thing looks awesome. I would love to get into hobby cyclocross-mountain bicycling. But "downhill" in Illinois is strictly a metaphor for the direction of the state's economy...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Going to start bike commuting because the metro sucks and what would be a 25 min commute is now at least an hour with the latest metro disaster in our nation's fair capital.

Picking up an e bike later this month, anyone else bike commuting or just love to ride?

Haven't done much riding in the last 5 years so looking to get back into it and hopefully find some fun off road trails nearby.
    Where I commuted the roads were not the best, so I used a road bike frame with wider than normal tires. I also put a set of fenders and a rack on it. If you're commuting in the dark or near dark, light it up like a Christmas tree. Always wear a helmet, and one with a visor is better in the rain.

If you haven't yet, check this out http://www.bikeforums.net/ they have subforum on commuting.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Grey's commute will be on a nice smooth dedicated multi-use trail. Quite a nice way to travel!

I'm also a bike commuter in northern VA. I ride pretty much year 'round and in all weather, and try to bike commute at least three times a week.

Here's a local forum where you can find some camaraderie and maybe some helpful advice:

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/forum.php
    Last edited by trailrunner; 10-10-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added link to Bike Arlington forum

As far as which bikes are good for commuting, I have three bikes I regularly use:

- An old (1992) mountain bike, fully rigid. I put a rack and slicks on this bike. I can carry panniers or a trunk on the rack. I also have a front basket.

- A touring bike. This is my newest bike. I also have racks and a front basket, and disc brakes. I can also tow a trailer for bike camping with this bike too. I've thought of taking it out to Dulles to see if I can tow a 737.

- An old (2000) road bike bike. I ride this bike when it's dry (no fenders) and I don't have much to carry (no racks), and just use a messenger bag to haul what I need for the day. After riding one of my other two bikes, it feels nice to fly on this bike.

A couple of quick tips:

- Fenders are great.

- Blinky lights are great - rear AND front. The modern USB chargeable ones are really convenient.

- Figure out what kind of system you want for hauling your stuff. I've used it all - backpacks, messenger bags, and panniers. All have pros and cons.

- Route planning is key, unless you are close to one of the paths.

- Fairfax county sucks for bike infrastructure. One good thing about the leftist enclaves of Arlington and Alexandria is that they have pretty good biking infrastructure. DC is a mixed bag.

- I've yet to find a breathable rain jacket.

- Keep your head on a swivel. Assume every car is going to kill you. Be polite, but always have a plan to evade. Contrary to popular opinion, pickups are not the worst - the worst are old Buicks and Oldsmobiles driven by silver haired old folks.

Site Supporter
    Northern VA? If so, can point you in the direction of plenty of trails.
    Lately have been riding with my older son at a weekly kids ride organized our local MTB club. Nothing better these days than riding with my wife and kids!
    D00d, I'm nearly certain we've been on some rides together if you ride with MORE. I don't do as many organized rides these days as I used to, but I still get out to a TNR at Wakefield here and there.

BTW, I'm traveling with a cow-orker who is also a MORE member. I told him about this thread and my suggestion. His facial expression mirrored that in the pic you posted in response.

In all seriousness, a PF group ride at Wakefield would be a good start for folks who want to get into mountain biking.

With regard to the OP, I'd get a gravel bike as a commuter rather than a mountain bike or pure road bike. A touring bike would also make a good commuter. I've owned a Surly Long Haul Trucker for 8 years and highly recommend it as a general purpose rig. A bit pokey for fast riding, but good for all-day self-paced wandering or as a commuter where rough streets and unpaved, but smooth trails are possibilities (srsly, I've ridden mine on foot paths and the C&O towpath).

Chris

I have a rigid 29" IF. While it's certainly more XC than dirt jumper, man I love how it it handles.

Like guns, it's all dependent on your application. I would't mind adding a 5" full suspension bike (Yeti SB95?) and a cyclocross bike, but I'm probably sticking with 700c wheels for the near term.
    Lets see some IF pics. An IF Deluxe 29er is my dreame bike I just can't freaking afford one! The Yeti SB5 is an awesome bike. Yeti is my local shops boutique mountain brand and the SB5 probably the biggest seller. They're a dream to ride. I'm more of an XC rider so I opted for an ASRc and love it. Even for a 29er the geometry is such that it feels like an Enduro bike but climbs fantastically. I currently have the ASR (4"F/R) and a Marin gravel bike and feel like I could cover most riding in my area.

Gravel grinding is the new thing here and with tons of forest service roads it's a great way to get miles in without riding in lots of traffic. Lots of the gravel bikes are really rebranded cyclocross bikes but with generous tire clearance and rack/fender mounts. If I was looking for a commuter that's where I'd start looking.
    Last edited by MD7305; 10-10-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Gravel grinding is the new thing here and with tons of forest service roads it's a great way to get miles in without riding in lots of traffic. Lots of the gravel bikes are really rebranded cyclocross bikes but with generous tire clearance and rack/fender mounts. If I was looking for a commuter that's where I'd start looking.
    Supposedly another feature of "gravel bikes" is a lower bottom bracket than your typical cross bike. I just ride my LHT with cross tires on gravel.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    - Keep your head on a swivel. Assume every car is going to kill you. Be polite, but always have a plan to evade. Contrary to popular opinion, pickups are not the worst - the worst are old Buicks and Oldsmobiles driven by silver haired old folks.
    Nah, the actual worst are jackasses on Harleys with straight pipes who intentionally time passing you to happen under an overpass and go full throttle right as they're next to you. Jerk nearly startled me right off my bike that day!

User Tag List