Thread: Removal of the SRT? (Sig classic P-Series)

Removal of the SRT? (Sig classic P-Series)

I have a fairly significant investment in the Sig classic P-series double stack 9mm series of pistols (P224, P226, P228/9R) and I have all my pistols setup nearly the same; SRT, Hogue G10 checkered grips, standard/fat trigger, Sig X-Ray sights, WOLFF 17lb mainspring and E2 hammer strut/seat.

Has anyone gone from having the SRT installed on their classic Sigs, to putting the legacy parts(standard reset) back in?

Why?

I think the biggest argument for doing so is the crispness/cleanness of the single action break. As you might have noticed, the SRT sear can have the tendency to add a wee bit of creep to the equation. Some find that less than desirable. For me personally, I deal with the bit of creep (or have action work done to reduce it) in exchange for the shorter reset.

Or have it worked professionally. I helped test a replacement for one of Sig's problematic extractors. The first time I just sent in the slide. The second time, due to a lot if extractor tension, I sent the whole pistol in. When I got it back, I function checked it and had to do a double take. The single was remarkably and noticeably crisper. I detail stripped the piece and saw that the sear and hammer had been very lightly polished. Knowing this gunsmith, I'm sure he felt the single action and was offended. The polishing was remarkably minor but made a huge difference.

IIRC, Sig increased the amount of sear engagement to address concerns with doubling or tripling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Actually, I have considered it. I have a P229 that came with the standard fat trigger and no SRT sear. I installed the SRT kit and a Grayguns P-SAIT trigger. With the Grayguns trigger and the SRT the reset is so short as to be nearly nonexistent. I have not noticed any creep but maybe I am insufficiently sensitive to that sort of thing.

With the SRT and P-SAIT trigger I have now twice had premature discharges when practicing double action/single action double taps. I won't call them doubles because I was intending to shoot, but with virtually no take-up on the SA trigger, I dropped the hammer before I had the sight picture I wanted. No big deal, I still hit the target, but a bit high.

I am pretty sure that this can be resolved with a bit more training, but I am considering carrying this pistol in cooler weather, and I wonder if it would be a safer carry piece without the SRT sear.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm not the trigger gasket that many here are, but I only notice the SRT's SA creep in dry fire. It's noticeably more than an SAO P226. I haven't worked with a non-SRT TDA outside an LGS. In live fire, especially more interesting scenarios than slow fire at the square range, it doesn't bug me at all. Probably because I'm thinking more about other things than a small amount of creep on the SA shots. I've thought about buying some non-SRT parts to try, but it's a low priority and I haven't taken any action on it.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I think the biggest argument for doing so is the crispness/cleanness of the single action break. As you might have noticed, the SRT sear can have the tendency to add a wee bit of creep to the equation. Some find that less than desirable. For me personally, I deal with the bit of creep (or have action work done to reduce it) in exchange for the shorter reset.
    By trigger creep, do you mean the little bit of 'mushyness' before the break?

For me, I like the short reset, but sometimes I feel like the reset itself isn't very pronounced.

This is all coming from: I just bought another Mk25 and haven't installed the SRT. I guess I'd forgotten how positive of a reset these pistols have and I'm flirting with the idea of going SRT-less. Also, the SRT-less reset reminds me more of a Glock's trigger travel and I've been shooting a G19 more and more lately as my wife doesn't like DA trigger pull guns and likes the G19.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    By trigger creep, do you mean the little bit of 'mushyness' before the break?
    In single action, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I have a fairly significant investment in the Sig classic P-series double stack 9mm series of pistols (P224, P226, P228/9R) and I have all my pistols setup nearly the same; SRT, Hogue G10 checkered grips, standard/fat trigger, Sig X-Ray sights, WOLFF 17lb mainspring and E2 hammer strut/seat.

Has anyone gone from having the SRT installed on their classic Sigs, to putting the legacy parts(standard reset) back in?

Why?
    I haven't gone as far as to take it out of my one SRT-equipped P229, but I'm definitely not putting SRTs in my other SIGs. Since I let the trigger go past the reset when shooting, the benefits are lost, and for me there's no difference in shooting an SRT SIG vs. a non-SRT SIG at speed.

User Tag List