Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 or AK47 ?

AR15 or AK47 ?

For someone who has never owned either one of these rifles,which would be the better choice and why?

There is no right / wrong / better choice. It's a preference and intended use kinda thing.

Both, when properly built, are lightweight, accurate and reliable rifles.

Pretty much everything you hear on reliability and lethality between the two is hype and gunshop BS.

Domestically, you're going to see way more options and aftermarket support for the AR. It comes with being the most popular type of rifle sold in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I own a few AR15's and one AK47. My advice would be to buy a quality AR first, buy the AK later. The AR15 is America's rifle. The lack of aftermarket goodies for AK's compared to AR's doesn't really bother me, as a sling, red dot, and a light are the only things I put on long guns, and the options for AK's seem to suit my needs. I'm not sure I'd want to have to pick a favorite between the two.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 10-09-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    My advice would be to buy a quality AR first, buy the AK later. The AR15 is America's rifle.
    Completely agree. I'll also add that you're more likely to find quality training with the AR series. While there are certainly opportunities to learn how to run the AK, they are fewer and farther between.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Everytime I'm asked I answer the same way.

AR15s are like exotic cars. You are going to put a good deal of research into it and want to get the best bang for buck, but within your personal taste. I just like cars the rifles need to work the way they are needed on demand and without any issues.

The more high end you go the more expensive things will get but you will get a very specialized gun, or car.

You have to figure out what you want and invest into it as much as you believe required. But understand the fact that people who know the what's and whys buy certain types of AR15s for a reason, and you'd do well to follow their lead.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

They're both great rifle types and they both work very well.

The AR is more "ergonomic" right out of the box, however recent developments have brought the AK to relative parity (all aftermarket).

Quality AKs are now relatively expensive as compared to a few years ago.

You'll probably wind up with both.

What kind of a crazy choice is that? Do you like your right hand more than your left? :-)

As others have said, AR probably makes more sense for a first purchase. Just get a good basic one, nothing too fancy, nothing home built. A simple search will reveal tons of argument on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    What kind of a crazy choice is that? Do you like your right hand more than your left? :-)

As others have said, AR probably makes more sense for a first purchase. Just get a good basic one, nothing too fancy, nothing home built. A simple search will reveal tons of argument on this issue.
    Colt 6920

A good or decent AR is much cheaper and easier to work on than a comparable AK. Colt 6920, BCM OEM, S&W, or Aero Precision.
    #RESIST

I would say get the colt 6920, I picked a few up and got sold my Arsenal ak's. The Ar is more ergonmic, less recoil, flatter shooting, has more ammunition options, lots of parts available, if you plan on suppressing the Ar will be better due to a lot of Ak's with none concentric bores. Optic mounting is so much easier on the Ar... for a full kitted out Ar it will cost you a lot less then a nice Ak with everything you need, plus you'll come in 2-3 pounds less. Only negatives the Ar has over the Ak is, no folding stock... everything else about the Ar makes more sense. Especially with prices of 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 increasing, I much rather just shoot the 5.56 or 300blk or 6.8... or any of the other calibers that you can use in the Ar platform.

I say for all it's worth which is nothing. Buy the 6920, get 10 mags, 1000 rounds of 556, a aimpoint, .22lr upper, and 5000 rounds of .22lr and be set for any type of range time.

User Tag List