Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GP100 Match Champion sight options?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm liking this MC more and more.

As noted in my previous update, there was polishing residue in many places on the outside, and a (new) slight grittiness to the trigger press when it came back from Ruger. I did a detail strip to solvent-clean everything. Found several deposits of what appeared to be red garnet polishing/grinding compound in various places around the insides. I deburred rough edges and knocked down assorted nastiness throughout. Kept all the springs original. For a piece of hardware that is still within the parameters of original design intent, the result is quite pleasing.
    Isn't that a little disquieting that a gun that was sent back to the factory for repair was returned with polishing compound in its guts, rough edges and burrs?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I suspect the polishing compound may have always been there, maybe just got moved around a bit, and I know the rough edges and burrs were original equipment.

I've learned that one of Carroll Smith's lines about race cars is applicable to many things in life, including firearms. Paraphrasing, the only reason for the manufacturer to have assembled your new race car is that it's most economical to ship it that way, and it provides a reasonable check that all the parts are included. I've become one of those guys who isn't comfortable taking a new gun to the range until I've detail stripped, deburred, smoothed, recleaned and lubed everything. I'd much rather find and remove that burr on the corner of the slide before it scrapes all the anodizing off the frame...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Missed the original post on the brass insert. Wow. I have the same issue with my new .44spl GP. If you ever go into the "brass insert business" mark me down for one!!
    I'm an engineer, not a machinist. I can do stuff, but I'm slow. Which means you couldn't afford it, or I'd go broke in about a week. One of the two.
    Not another dime.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I suspect the polishing compound may have always been there, maybe just got moved around a bit, and I know the rough edges and burrs were original equipment.

I've learned that one of Carroll Smith's lines about race cars is applicable to many things in life, including firearms. Paraphrasing, the only reason for the manufacturer to have assembled your new race car is that it's most economical to ship it that way, and it provides a reasonable check that all the parts are included. I've become one of those guys who isn't comfortable taking a new gun to the range until I've detail stripped, deburred, smoothed, recleaned and lubed everything. I'd much rather find and remove that burr on the corner of the slide before it scrapes all the anodizing off the frame...
    That's fine, but you're probably in a very small minority of gun buyers. I suspect that the vast majority of buyers aren't going to detail strip anything, with the possible exception of a 1911. If the cost-cutting has gotten to the point that they can't remove crap like that, then Ruger may have a QC problem.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That's fine, but you're probably in a very small minority of gun buyers. I suspect that the vast majority of buyers aren't going to detail strip anything, with the possible exception of a 1911. If the cost-cutting has gotten to the point that they can't remove crap like that, then Ruger may have a QC problem.
    They for sure do. Canted barrels, barrel offset laterally relative to the sides of the frame, incorrectly machined sight dovetails, etc.

Brand new Smiths with crunchy triggers; crescent-moon crowns coming and going all the way back to early in the two-piece barrel era...

Buying revolvers isn't for beginners or people on a tight budget.
    Not another dime.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I'm an engineer, not a machinist. I can do stuff, but I'm slow. Which means you couldn't afford it, or I'd go broke in about a week. One of the two.
    So it would be expensive and worse than ordering a holster?

You have, however, encouraged me to go looking for brass rod stock...

Sorry to bump an old thread. I thought folks might want to know Novak has brass bead GP100 dovetail front sights in stock.

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9509

Even though I'm pretty happy with the tritium front sight, I ordered one for the parts box. They don't have the brass bead in stock often and the tritium will fade someday.

The one I made has a flatter surface than their photo sample for the web site. The circular grooves would bug me.
    Not another dime.

The one I made has a flatter surface than their photo sample for the web site. The circular grooves would bug me.
    Yours is simply awesome. I wonder if a brass rod option for fiber optic sights would have wider appeal.

I'll post a picture when it comes in.

Sight arrived today.
    Name:  IMG_1926 Adjusted_Small.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  23.3 KB

User Tag List