Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 Match Champion sight options?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

GP100 Match Champion sight options?

I've been going around in circles like a dog getting ready to lie down for some time, trying to decide on a .38/.357 revolver to start with.

Mission: Basically, be The One Revolver To Do It All. Obviously, that's not really possible, but my plan is to have something that's capable of handling much of what a revolver is good for. Plinking and punching groups on paper with WCs, training for defensive use, carrying concealed or open (in back country), traveling in places where revolvers are less scary to locals, etc. It will share ammo supply with an 1894C, which was made many years before Remington fired all the people who knew how to use Marlin's worn-out old equipment to still make good guns.

Finally found a GP100 Match Champion locally, and it seems to be everything I'd hoped it would be. Like it a lot better than the 686 SSR, and it's $100 less. Wood grip fits my hands well, the balance is just right. None of the obvious quality issues I can't seem to avoid finding on new Smiths and standard-grade Rugers. I really like the revolver I handled this afternoon; it was nice enough in every way that I can easily see just shooting and cleaning it, without being tempted to send it out for action smoothing or having to chase grips that fit my hands better. So now I need to decide whether to get the fixed or adjustable rear sight.

Obviously, I have no direct experience, but I've read enough reports, some from eminently trustworthy sources, of Ruger factory adjustable sights not staying where they're left very well. For out of the box configuration, I like the Novak fixed sights better. I have them on some semis, so I do have experience there.

In the event that the end state of this revolver includes having reliable, rugged, adjustable sights, there appear to be two options.

One is to buy the fixed sight MC and, if warranted, upgrade to the Novak adjustable sight, which is available plain or with white dots or a green tritium bar.

https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.a...11282&CAT=9509

Apparently, their standard adjustable is too tall for the GP100 MC front sight, so they made this version that is adjustable only for elevation, and must be drifted for windage changes. It appears to be inherently rugged compared to blade-type adjustables.

The other option is to buy the adjustable sight version, shoot it, and if I start identifying problems with a wandering sight, upgrade to the Bowen Rough Country rear sight.

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/in...products_id=35
    (That link isn't the part listed for GP100s, but Bowen doesn't include photos on the pages for the GP100 versions.)

My understanding is that, although it is screw-adjustable for both windage and elevation, the Bowen sight is meant to be Loctited and not routinely adjusted, once the desired POA/POI is established.

My expectation is that most ammo fired will be in the 148-158 grain range, but I do expect to take advantage of the full spectrum of power factors at times, from 148-gr HBWCs to full-house .357s. In theory, as far as my understanding of the theory goes, any change in POI with loads should be in elevation, so once windage is dialed in, only elevation adjustments should be needed, if any at all. On that basis, the Novak's screw adjustment for elevation should theoretically be better than the Bowen's Loctited adjustments. But occasionally, it seems other stuff can happen.

Standard answers around here for someone asking about something new to them include lots of advice to focus on software, not hardware. There are a lot of other threads talking about software development for revolvers. I've found those threads, will find more, and am confident in figuring out where to go when I am ready to take those steps. I'm hoping to keep this thread specifically focused on hardware, in particular the GP100, especially the Match Champion, and experience with the different factory and aftermarket sights mentioned (and any others worth discussing if I've missed them), and different uses and loads.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

I have the MC that came with the fixed sight. I use it for IDPA and couldn't get it to zero with a .38 load, so I had the Novak adj. rear put on it and it's great now.
    I don't shoot a lot of .357 in it but MOST of them hit fairly close also. Never had any problem with it losing it's zero either.

Bowen also makes a click-adjustable rear sight, which would probably be my choice for a gun that will need frequent sight adjustments to accommodate different ammo.

Also, you really can't depend on POI only varying in elevation. The gun torques in recoil as well as coming up and back, and it's significant enough to cause windage shifts. In my GP100, the windage shift between mild .38 Special practice ammo and 200-grain hardcast .357 loads is about 3" at 15 yards.

Site Supporter
    Some years ago I had a GP100 with a Bowen Rough Country rear sight installed. IMO is it all around the best option for a GP100 adjustable rear sight. It's not too difficult to adjust, is very robust, and there are multiple blade options. It's a well-made part.

I have a stock GP100 that I shot for years in IDPA with 125 grain magnum ammo (I didn't win often, but I was always the loudest participant). I often carry it, and regularly shoot ammo ranging from 158 grain 38 special target ammo, 125 grain flame throwers, standard 158 grain factory magnum ammo, and 180 grain hard cast thumpers. I've never had a problem with the stock GP100 adjustable sights staying where I want them to, with the caveat that I did add Ruger's fiber-optic front sight, which I also like quite a bit.

To really take advantage of the versatility of the GP100, one should seriously consider adjustable sights. And just because I enjoy showing it off, a photo is attached:

Name:  gp10010.jpg
Views: 5157
Size:  70.8 KB
    Ordinary guy

I have never had a GP100 factory sight go out-of-adjustment, though one rear sight leaf did develop a crack, so I replaced the whole rear sight assembly. Police duty carry is rough on the equipment, so I do not know if that crack was a stress crack, caused over time, or caused by a single blow that went unnoticed at the time.

My biggest problem with handgun sights, at present, is simply seeing them, even with my prescription eyeglasses. About a week ago, I found I could not focus on the front sight, through the factory rear notch, with any of my revolvers. I am going to follow this thread, for ideas. (A few days ago, I went internettin', to see if Weigand's optic mounts were still available. I think I may be about to mount an Aimpoint Micro on a sixgun.)

Might as well update here.

Ended up buying the adjustable sight MC. It was $686 with freight insurance from Bud's, coincidentally enough.

The top lug of the barrel is offset toward the left side of the frame about 0.009 inch, which doesn't sound like much, but the difference side to side is twice that, so it's very noticeable if you look for it, and difficult to not look for once you know it's there. It appears to be a lateral offset, not a cant. The rear sight blade was cranked all the way over to flush with the left side of the sight body, so I had no idea what kind of mess things were. A couple of the notches appeared to have some peening (the gun was NIB, factory fired only). Couldn't apply enough force to press the trigger group release pin.

Called up Ruger. They sent a call tag. They received the unit Friday and I had tracking numbers for the return on Monday. Just got it from the FedEx guy, one week after I shipped it.

Rear sight is centered, cylinder is refinished with peened material removed, the trigger group is apparently refit to the frame, and some of the sharp edges on the hammer are smoothed. The paper work says it was test fired, and there's evidence of that.

I got polishing residue on my hands, and it feels grittier (polishing residue everywhere, I reckon), so it definitely needs to be stripped and cleaned before I even do a dry fire session, but I expect it's overall going to be acceptable. As long as it shoots straight, I expect I'll be OK with it. My expectations are definitely of a working-level gun at this point (in spite of the "Match Champion" special branding), not a "thing of beauty" in any way other than if it turns out to be beautifully functional. But that's typical of most Rugers.

Academy has brass-cased, non-magnetic .38SPL JHP for $15/box, so that will probably be the bulk of my early volume.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-02-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Might as well update here.

Ended up buying the adjustable sight MC. It was $686 with freight insurance from Bud's, coincidentally enough.

The top lug of the barrel is offset toward the left side of the frame about 0.009 inch, which doesn't sound like much, but the difference side to side is twice that, so it's very noticeable if you look for it, and difficult to not look for once you know it's there. It appears to be a lateral offset, not a cant. The rear sight blade was cranked all the way over to flush with the left side of the sight body, so I had no idea what kind of mess things were. A couple of the notches appeared to have some peening (the gun was NIB, factory fired only). Couldn't apply enough force to press the trigger group release pin.

Called up Ruger. They sent a call tag. They received the unit Friday and I had tracking numbers for the return on Monday. Just got it from the FedEx guy, one week after I shipped it.

Rear sight is centered, cylinder is refinished with peened material removed, the trigger group is apparently refit to the frame, and some of the sharp edges on the hammer are smoothed. The paper work says it was test fired, and there's evidence of that.
    It's a damn shame that Ruger revolvers might as well come with a return label these days. Just put in an envelope that says "if you actually intend to shoot this gun, open this" and then a letter inside explaining they build an 80% for most the folks who don't know any better, but will be happy to make yours right such you opened the envelope.

The same is as true of S&W, IME.

Small sample size, but I've been way happier with S&W than Ruger being good out of the box. Both have excellent customer service. In my opinion, a revolver is something you need to physically inspect and buy retail. Save Bud's for the HK and Glock purchases.

User Tag List