Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: First 1,000 rounds with the Wilson Combat Protector Elite 1911 .45

Great thread-glad to see you're actually running the WC 1911. The two-tone finish is handsome, but finish is way down on my use/practicality criteria, relatively speaking. I will admit to jonesing a bit on some of Alchemy Arms' offerings-their blueing is superb, but would probably end up opting for the hard chrome option for superior wear/weather protection.

I'm currently using and carrying my updated 2006-vintage SIG GSR XO and Colt stainless Seres 70 Repro. More than I expected, due to some ongoing short- and long-term T&E projects....https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-Improvements

I'm a huge fan of VCD grips, and G10 grips (in my case, Hogue in a classic {well, as classic as you can get with G10...} double-diamond configuration.

Also sticking with conventional wire springs for both recoil spring and magazine springs.

Best, Jon

Last edited by JonInWA; 01-21-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Feedback I am getting is that the flat wire shines in 3.5-4 inch guns, where the conventional is ideal in five inch guns.
    I'm embarrassed to post this in a thread full of gorgeous Wilsons but wanted to follow up on the Wilson flat wire recoil spring, which completely transformed this pre-Series II Pro Carry into something I'd almost consider carrying. It's gone from hard-kicking and barfing a couple times each trip (mostly because I would flinch shooting one-handed) to extremely flat shooting and reliable through the whopping 200 rounds I've put through it since. For a shorter 1911, it's a must IMO.

Name:  IMG-0759.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  68.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Can't believe I haven't updated this thread in years...

Though I've largely converted to the red dot over the past year, I've recently been carrying my 1911 again. Some of this is my desire to reduce my 9mm consumption, as I have a decent amount of .45 ammunition, and I tend to shoot less .45 during a range session anyway.

For whatever reason, I found that with the wood double diamond grips the gun moved around a bit more in my hands under recoil than I had remembered. In particular my support hand seemed to slip off more than I liked. So I swapped on a pair of black cherry G10 grips from Wilson Combat - and this immediately solved the problem. The gun is firmly locked in now. I'm not too crazy about the aesthetics though - I miss the classic double diamond appearance and the cherry coloring. I may try a pair of double diamond G10s.

My last drill today was 'The Test' - conducted from concealment (using a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB holster under a sweater). I was pretty pleased considering that I'm just not shooting as much.
    Attachment 66458
    Woof. Still very aroused by that gun.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Pretty pleased with these black cherry double diamond G10 grips from VZ. I'd like to add the Wilson Combat medallions at some point to recapture the original appearance, but this combines the classic look I was seeking with the extra grip provided by the G10.
    Name:  IMG_0312.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  100.8 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Feedback I am getting is that the flat wire shines in 3.5-4 inch guns, where the conventional is ideal in five inch guns.
    How come?

And what's the final word on shok buffs?

Name:  IMG_0318.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  101.0 KB
    Burnt by Light added these silver Wilson Medallions to the VZ G10 double diamonds. I'm very pleased with the outcome. I think I've recaptured the traditional look I desired, but with the added benefit of the G10 traction.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List