Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HST Personal Defense vs. Law Enforcement Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by LSW View Post
    That is strange. When I used to get issued HST by a DHS agency, it came brass cased without the nickel plating and labled as "40 S&W 180 GRAIN HST(tm) JHP XM40HC". The brass was definitely a little less clean than the commercially sold, P40HST1 with nickel plating, and it had some light black residue/specks, but nothing to the extent you're describing. If I recall correctly, it chronographed the same as the commercially sold ammo out of my pistols.
    Normal, seen also in rifle ammo (GDSP 24447). They spec'ed brass instead of nickel for some loads. Some was also available commercially.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-11-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

The brass-cased HST that I've got is in immaculate condition.

Best, Jon

Could I ask, what is the purpose of nickel plating cartridges?

Is that generally for corrosion resistance?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Could I ask, what is the purpose of nickel plating cartridges?

Is that generally for corrosion resistance?
    Yes. Brass ammo develops green verdigris fairly quickly when carried in traditional leather duty gear.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    the 50 round LE were pretty rough looking; a few dents on the case, brass showing through the nickle plating, black crud here and there.
    I shoot rather a lot of Federal HST in various calibers in the 50-rd boxes, and have never once encountered that.

AFAIK the greater per-round price on the commercial market stuff is just a combination of a greater markup and those goofy jewelry boxes that show off the pretty hollowpoint so Cletus will know what his BBs will look like without having to tear a box flap.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Looks like the suspect ammo has been pulled from their site while they check it out.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Have shot a few hundred 147gr 9mm and 180gr .40 HSTs in the last few months. All rounds were in impeccable condition. Your ammo just sounds old/oxidized. Good to practice with but I would probalby not carry it as a first, second, or third resort...

I'll just echo some of the commentary already expressed based on my own personal experience;

- I've never heard of "Seconds" being offered by any of the major domestic players and the reasons for that should be pretty obvious.

- Trade-in ammo is a pretty common practice when LE agencies make changes. This stuff is usually re-sold at steeply discounted prices and while it may show signs of handling and storage, that should be extent of the wear and tear. Broken cases are accepted in trade-in situations so anomalies in the condition described by the OP may certainly exist, but I don't think it's the norm.

- In some cases, LE packaging can be plain-Jane compared to the same loading bound for the commercial market, but the product itself is the same.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-13-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List