Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HST Personal Defense vs. Law Enforcement Ammunition

HST Personal Defense vs. Law Enforcement Ammunition

Bought some of the 20 round PD HST (180gr .40) and then stumbled upon a couple boxes of LE variety in the 50 round boxes. Noticed the more expensive 20 round PD rounds were all shiny and new looking while the 50 round LE were pretty rough looking; a few dents on the case, brass showing through the nickle plating, black crud here and there. Is this typical of PD vs. LE production? Factory seconds maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Bought some of the 20 round PD HST (180gr .40) and then stumbled upon a couple boxes of LE variety in the 50 round boxes. Noticed the more expensive 20 round PD rounds were all shiny and new looking while the 50 round LE were pretty rough looking; a few dents on the case, brass showing through the nickle plating, black crud here and there. Is this typical of PD vs. LE production? Factory seconds maybe?
    Could the LE have been LE trade-in ammo? Maybe the dept. unloads its carry mags instead of shooting them, when they trade ammo in?
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-08-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Is this typical of PD vs. LE production?
    Not in my experience at all.

I have fired cases of 9mm HST and currently own a few cases and I have not seen any as described by the Op. As stated earlier the 50 round boxes may be LEA trades.

The brass showing is not from scratches, but thin nickle plating FWIW. The rounds look new except for they are not bright and shiny and have the dings and gunk mentioned. It was cheaper than the pretty civilian packaged stuff. When LE trades in ammo, what does that mean? Old stock?
    Last edited by Tabasco; 10-08-2016 at 08:38 PM.

All the 50 round boxes of HST 9mm I've bought have been extremely clean shiny ammo. No tarnish, scratches or gunk.

I agree with Unobtanium that it sounds like you bought ammo that had been carried in magazines for a while but never fired then returned to a box and sold.

I just looked at my (very small) sample of Federal P9HST2. All cases are nice shiny nickel plated, well finished with no gunk or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Could the LE have been LE trade-in ammo? Maybe the dept. unloads its carry mags instead of shooting them, when they trade ammo in?
    Really? I've never heard of a department that traded in ammo. One SWAT team did trade it's rifle brass at a local shop, but I think that was an off the books deal to stretch their training dollars.

Where did this dingy HST come from?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

All my P9HST2 has been shiney and obviously new. It does come with varying amounts of some sort of dry film on it that discolors shooter hands or the insides of cargo pockets if you pour a couple boxes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Really? I've never heard of a department that traded in ammo.
    More common than you might think.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-09-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    More common than you might think.
    That's not confidence inspiring, in more ways than one.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List