Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need 338 WM Pet Load

Need 338 WM Pet Load

Anyone got anything for a 225- or 250-grain bullet?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My notes show 68 grs IMR 4831 with 250 gr Nosler Partition with a magnum rifle primer (didn't have the make in notes, probably CCI). I intentionally stayed a little under max to alleviate potential extraction issues. I never chrono'ed it, the notes say 2650? which would be about 50 fps under factory 250s show I believe. They shot well in my gun, though pretty much everything seemed to. I was getting 1 1/4" groups for 3 @ 100 yards sitting with a 4x Leupold in an older Ruger 77.

Had a nice grouse and small game load also. Used the Hornady flat point 33 Win bullets pushed about 1500 fps with the Dupont powder commonly used for reduced loads. Very accurate, small fingernail sized groups for 4 shots @ 50 yards.

Can you be more specific? What gun? Which bullet?

My 230gr Bergers are the most accurate 300WM's I have ever shot, but they are a max load and are safe in my gun, whose chamber was cut for them. Not sure about anyone else's gun. I have 8 loadings on my brass, which I'm told is unheard of in a WM. Chambers matter.:-)

It's a Browning Safari. Haven't decided on a bullet yet. Probably a Partition.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 10-08-2016 at 11:35 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It's a Browning Safari. Haven't decided on a bullet yet. Probably a Partition.

Okie John
    Used for what?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Used for what?
    Game is Roosevelt's elk on tree farms so I expect mostly short shots with some chance of needing to reach out to about 300 yards.

Sorry. Should have put that in my first post.

Okie John

My wife shoots Federal Premium .338 WM, using a 225 Barnes bullet, and has had good luck on game with that. In years past, I primarily shot a .338-06, using a 210 Nosler Partition, and piled up a bunch of moose and caribou with it. We now try to use copper bullets for harvesting things we eat.

Apparently my eyes stopped working yesterday at around 7:51 or so...

I'll go back to lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Apparently my eyes stopped working yesterday at around 7:51 or so...

I'll go back to lurking.
    I was just happy to see you, even if your 0's and 3's were confused.

Thanks. I still want to shoot your 338-06 sometime. Just because. I've never seen one in the wild.

User Tag List