Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home defense shotgun | Pump vs Semi-Auto ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I pretty much agree with everything in this thread, but as usual, it is the man, not the gun. I like them all, I use them all, I still grab a 5.56 above all.
    I know, right? We're issued 14" SBS's at work, but I still prefer an M4 for just about anything where I'd need or want a long gun.

I fully admit that shotguns are a weak area of shooting for me. But just from a very basic fundamental perspective, I seem to shoot a pump better. Against 5 standing targets, for some reason I feel like my timing on targets is better with the pump. Could easily be a technique issue on my part.

I like shotguns, and though I have always run pumps the 1301 thread is threatening my kid's college fund, because I like learning new things. I like ARs, too. But for home defense, I have decided to invest most of my focus and time into the gun I carry around all day every day, which good lord willing will be the thing closest to hand if I need to defend my life in or out of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I just checked it out and boy it sure doesn't come with the economy of a glock.

What else should one look at? Or is the M2 a "cry once, buy once" type of deal?

I will not argue that dropping the coin on a Benelli autoloader is worth every penny no doubt....

For a more budget friendly, meat-and-taters good autoloader, take a look at a Beretta A300. Of course, one has to consider aftermarket parts availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

What else should one look at? Or is the M2 a "cry once, buy once" type of deal?
    Yes. I've had my rifle sighted M1 since 1988. Worth every penny.

Re: potential inertia gun issues. The Benelli M4, while pricey, is an excellent gun as well.

Hmm, a Glock semi auto shotgun, that could be interesting ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Hmm, a Glock semi auto shotgun, that could be interesting ;-)
    12 gauge hulls beaning me in the forehead doesn't sound very pleasant [/mild snark].

Site Supporter
    lawnguy:

I have a couple of thoughts for you, especially in regards to your rifle and shotgun threads, and your recent acquisition of a pistol.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but IIRC, your finances are like mine - limited. My wife and I are school teachers with a kid in college and another who is a senior and applying to colleges. Wants are usually overshadowed by needs. Bills usually get paid on time, but there's not a lot left of our paychecks after, and sometimes there's some scrambling to cover everything.

If that sounds like you, then I have some practical advice for you that you might find useful.

You've asked a lot of questions, on a variety of topics and guns and calibers, and that's good. How else are you supposed to learn? Guns are fun, and new interests are exciting. But. I think that, being that you are in the financial situation you seem to be in, there are some more ... Critical things to think about.

Do you have a holster? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Does it work for your carry method and clothing? How many magazines do you have? Without magazines, it's a single shot, so you need to collect at least a couple of spares, and having a good way to carry one on your person is another thing to think about.

What about ammo? Do you have any? How much? Are you just going with ball, since it's a .380, or are you diving down the rabbit hole after a hollow point that actually works in that caliber? Once you have selected a practice and carry load, accumulate! Spend your money here - skill comes from time at the range and bullets, not more guns.

IMHO, the next gun you get should be a mid or full size 9mm, from one of the major manufacturers. Generic recommendation would be a Glock, but as long as it works, it really doesn't matter. (Cue pic: What if I told you it doesn't matter what gun you use?). And get mags, ammo, and a functional holster or two.

Long guns, for a non-hunter with limited funds, are probably superfluous. I do hunt, and so made it a priority to acquire tools for that hobby. I have been fortunate to have previously worked at a job that paid very well, so I was able to slowly accumulate a few things. I have some rifles, and a shotgun. But at this point, anything I get pretty much means something else I have is getting sold to pay for it, or I'm saving a few bucks per paycheck in my sock drawer until I can pay for it.

If I didn't hunt, I might still have an AR. But i didn't pay for my 5.56 AR in the first place - it was a college graduation gift. My 6.8 has become superfluous, and is probably getting liquidated. The only rifle I would have if I didn't hunt and had paid for it myself is the used 10/22 I got for $100 when I was in college.

All I am buying now is ammo, reloading components, and magazines. Those are consumables. More guns won't make my family safer or help me shoot better, but more ammo might help both of those areas.

Bottom line: focus on the gun you have. Buy and shoot as much ammo as you can afford. Get spare mags, a functional holster, your permit and carry your gun. Save up and get a bigger 9mm someday, and repeat what you did with your pocket gun. Leave long guns alone until your finances are better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    lawnguy:

I have a couple of thoughts for you, especially in regards to your rifle and shotgun threads, and your recent acquisition of a pistol.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but IIRC, your finances are like mine - limited. My wife and I are school teachers with a kid in college and another who is a senior and applying to colleges. Wants are usually overshadowed by needs. Bills usually get paid on time, but there's not a lot left of our paychecks after, and sometimes there's some scrambling to cover everything.

If that sounds like you, then I have some practical advice for you that you might find useful.

You've asked a lot of questions, on a variety of topics and guns and calibers, and that's good. How else are you supposed to learn? Guns are fun, and new interests are exciting. But. I think that, being that you are in the financial situation you seem to be in, there are some more ... Critical things to think about.

Do you have a holster? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Does it work for your carry method and clothing? How many magazines do you have? Without magazines, it's a single shot, so you need to collect at least a couple of spares, and having a good way to carry one on your person is another thing to think about.

What about ammo? Do you have any? How much? Are you just going with ball, since it's a .380, or are you diving down the rabbit hole after a hollow point that actually works in that caliber? Once you have selected a practice and carry load, accumulate! Spend your money here - skill comes from time at the range and bullets, not more guns.

IMHO, the next gun you get should be a mid or full size 9mm, from one of the major manufacturers. Generic recommendation would be a Glock, but as long as it works, it really doesn't matter. (Cue pic: What if I told you it doesn't matter what gun you use?). And get mags, ammo, and a functional holster or two.

Long guns, for a non-hunter with limited funds, are probably superfluous. I do hunt, and so made it a priority to acquire tools for that hobby. I have been fortunate to have previously worked at a job that paid very well, so I was able to slowly accumulate a few things. I have some rifles, and a shotgun. But at this point, anything I get pretty much means something else I have is getting sold to pay for it, or I'm saving a few bucks per paycheck in my sock drawer until I can pay for it.

If I didn't hunt, I might still have an AR. But i didn't pay for my 5.56 AR in the first place - it was a college graduation gift. My 6.8 has become superfluous, and is probably getting liquidated. The only rifle I would have if I didn't hunt and had paid for it myself is the used 10/22 I got for $100 when I was in college.

All I am buying now is ammo, reloading components, and magazines. Those are consumables. More guns won't make my family safer or help me shoot better, but more ammo might help both of those areas.

Bottom line: focus on the gun you have. Buy and shoot as much ammo as you can afford. Get spare mags, a functional holster, your permit and carry your gun. Save up and get a bigger 9mm someday, and repeat what you did with your pocket gun. Leave long guns alone until your finances are better.
    Very good points above.

I will add that every time in my life when I thought I might need a gun, the one within reach was either a handgun or none at all. In almost all cases it was the handgun on my person. Making sure that I have a good way to have one on my person, and can draw and shoot it well, seems far more critical to me than anything having to do with long guns.

Years ago on another forum, "SouthNarc" posted his idea of 3 guns that would meet most defensive needs. One was a basic concealed carry gun, in his case a J-frame. One was a mousegun, in his case a Seecamp .32. One was a full size gun, or something close to it with at least a 4 inch barrel and 3-finger grip, which in his case was a Kimber 1911.

You already have the mousegun in the form of the LCP. Add a Glock 26, and you have the basic concealed carry gun covered. You will find the 26 to be easy enough to shoot so that you can put off the purchase of a full size for quite some time, until the purchase is comfortable. I would therefore suggest replacing the full size with a .22. A .22 will pay for itself in ammo savings with surprising quickness, allowing very inexpensive practice.

A SIRT laser training pistol is also a very wise investment, as it allows you to practice, with feedback, in places where you could not shoot. Get the version with a metal slide so that it duplicates the weight of a real gun. You don't need a green laser unless you plan to use it outdoors.

Good quality holsters which keep the gun concealed, secure, quiet, and quickly accessible, including magazine pouches, belts, etc. also have a cost, and you will end up buying several until you find out what you like. Good ones are money well spent since they will ensure that the gun will be there. I would place this in importance above a new gun.

Last edited by BillSWPA; 10-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List