Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WSJ-- a-19-year-old-just-built-the-first-fingerprint-reading-smart gun

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Unless this gun is going to be completely unique and proprietary, what is to stop the average criminal from pulling the circuit board out, cutting the locking mechanism, etc?

Sorry... I must be too stupid to understand what silicon valley and etc is smart enough to understand...
    Probably nothing. This whole "industry" of smart guns is just a stupid cash grab. If you went to DEFCON and told people you made a fingerprint sensitive gun safe where you could literally reset the memory by poking a little button with a pin, you would get laughed out in seconds. But of course adoring reporters eat this garbage up.

Time to equip the Secret Service with this groundbreaking new technology.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Time to equip the Secret Service with this groundbreaking new technology.
    Glock

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have been an utter fool. This clever inventor somehow knew I never wear shorts and sleep fully pantsed.

If my home is invaded, I shall simply say "STOP" to the intruder in a commanding tone. This will bring him to pause as I unlock my tri-layer biometric safe with 8-digit physical combination. Then, after retrieving my firearm (equipped with a sensible 10-round magazine - I'm not JOHN RAMBO, here!) I shall venture to my adjoining study, whereupon I shall pull from the top shelf the second tri-layer biometric safe where I store my ammo (you didn't think I'd be so beastly careless as to leave my ammunition WITH my firearm, did you?). After loading my Full Metal Jacket rounds (Officer LockedBreech, SWAT Commando? No, thank you, LockedBreech, Esquire!) into my reasonable-capacity magazine, I shall, using all the muscle in my dainty, educated hands, retract the slide of the firearm, loading it and preparing myself for battle with the misunderstood youth who has been disenfranchised by an uncaring society. I will, of course, only THEN scan my fingerprint, activating my Tool of Death for its regrettable purpose.

Presently, I shall aim the firearm near the intruder (not AT him, I fear my trembling finger might trigger this Weapon of War inadvertently). I shall provide the intruder with no fewer than ten verbal warnings to exit my domicile. If he refuses and advances at me with a deadly weapon AND I am unable to retreat AND he strikes at me at least one time, I shall regrettably fire one round into his body, at which point I will stop, assess his injuries, and begin rendering first aid.

Ah. The Second Amendment. As those wise men intended it, so long ago.
    Time for me to roll back to the ole' cap-n-ball pistol. I could have observed 'safe' capacity standards and still shot you twice.

Cap-n-ball pistol loophole FTW!

Neva bin dun befo
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I am sure it works great when wearing gloves.

Also, the pistol in the link looked like a Glock pistol, but it was being fed with what appeared to be a single stack 1911 style magazine...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Cap-n-ball pistol loophole FTW!
    Only in some places. That "loophole" is closed right here in the great state o'Illinois. Land of Lincoln, home of the free (oppressed), the brave (cowards), and the strong (weaklings...well except Paul Sharp and Les Pepperoni, obviously those two are also not cowards).

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I am sure it works great when wearing gloves.
    What are you suggesting Doc? That someone might wear gloves for any non-nefarious purpose? We've all seen CSI. We know the truth, only three kinds of people wear gloves. 1) Criminals. 2) CSI Techs. 3) Doctors. And CSI techs only wear them, when someone else is watching...otherwise they just take the glove out of their pocket and use it to pick something up, without actually wearing it. And doctors wear them, because "Do No Harm" and therefore, no doctor would carry a gun to do harm with.

Therefore carrying a gun + gloves = Criminal.

Hmmm--obviously gloves are worn when involved in healthcare environments, but I also generally wore leather or Nomex gloves when in the field in both law enforcement and military lawful, non-criminal roles...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 10-08-2016 at 02:29 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

No way it could be disabled with a jamming type device by either criminals or the government I'm sure...no one with any understanding of the subject would fall for this. A sharp stick would be better.

Site Supporter
    Bread and circuses; the smart gun theory is another rainbow unicorn- lets just wish it can happen idea that needs to die a quick painful death. We need practical ideas. Like give people a tax credit when they buy a gun safe; not requiring padlocks being sold with handguns. (Anybody want a padlock? I got a few I will never use)

User Tag List