Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP II - Just came out!

My BIL purchased the new LCP II the other day and was sending me side by side pics vs his regular LCP. He was really happy with it until he shot it. First range visit and it locked up solid after a few mags. I don't know specifics of what happened but it was locked up solid with a round halfway chambered. It will going back to Ruger this week. Hope this sample of one isn't indicative of another pre-mature release by Ruger. I would NEVER buy a first generation Ruger until it's had plenty of time to be properly vetted. They seem to have a history of recalls on early releases.

In the meantime I did go to my LGS and handle one just to see what the buzz was about. The LCP II felt pretty good in the hand. The ergonomics are pretty good, a marked improvement over the regular and Custom ergos. It's wider than the original LCP and the Custom but it's still a tiny pocket gun. The sights are better than the original LCP but not as good as the Custom. The trigger has a long, easy take-up followed by a hard, crisp break. I quite liked the trigger actually. It's night and day vs the original LCP but very different than the Custom (which I quite like). I can see me buying one once they get the kinks worked out but not any time soon AND I'll still keep my Custom. In fact, I'm watching GB now for anyone dumping Customs cheap. I might just get another one.

As far as folks saying they wouldn't carry this new LCP II in a pocket due to the trigger. It's my opinion that's poppycock. If you have a proper holster that covers the trigger guard then there should be no issues. In fact, I have more of an issue with the soft, floppy holsters things people use for pocket carry than the trigger on this gun. I pocket carry in a kydex holster. I don't feel those pillow type Desantis or Mika holsters are safe. They don't retain the gun, they just provide a place for it to sit. I use kydex as I want retention. I don't carry anything else in the same pocket but still prefer knowing the gun isn't loose in the holster. I push off the kydex with my thumb during the draw and rake the holster against the pocket on the way out of the pocket. Some will poo-poo the required thumb push-off but it's no different than using a ALS retention holster where you have to activate the lever with your thumb to draw. I personally like the extra security my method provides.

I held one of these the other day.

The trigger feels ALOT like an HK LEM trigger. I bet that it has a pre-cocked hammer like the LEM system. I've heard some say it's stiker fired and other say hammer.

WAY better than the old LCP triggers I've felt.

Quote Originally Posted by VP9C View Post
    I held one of these the other day.

The trigger feels ALOT like an HK LEM trigger. I bet that it has a pre-cocked hammer like the LEM system. I've heard some say it's stiker fired and other say hammer.

WAY better than the old LCP triggers I've felt.
    That's funny because I held one today and had the same thought about the trigger. It felt like a long, for its overall size, pull with no resistance that then ran into the wall and then a pretty clean break. I thought the sights weren't half bad either considering. I kinda liked it and I'm wondering if I could learn to live with a 380? I can already tell I'm going to be reading up some on 380 ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'm eagerly awaiting the 45 caliber version. I really need punishing , flinch-inducing, recoil, and a 3 round capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I'm eagerly awaiting the 45 caliber version. I really need punishing , flinch-inducing, recoil, and a 3 round capacity.
    Find a cracked wooden baseball bat. Wrap some duck tape around it so it won't break in half. Smash the bat against a tree a few times. Same effect. Cost a lot less.

Pine tar is optional.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    The LCP Custom is/was a great package.

The trigger on the LCP Custom is much nicer than any of the other LCPs I have tried and is much smoother and without the "grit" I've felt with other LCPs. It is similar to the Galloway Sweet Pea aftermarket trigger.

Attachment 11045

It had actual usable sights and with the improved trigger was a very shootable pocket auto.

And Ruger gets rid of it...
    We did an initial shoot with our two LCP Custom pistols this afternoon. Started on two inch dots at 5 yards, and worked out to steel and USPSA targets at 25 yards.

Overall, both LCP pistols were surprisingly pleasant to shoot. The first one, was lightly used, and came with what appeared to be a Ruger rubber sleeve on it. It added to girth but was nice to shoot. It hit POA/POI in elevation. Elevation varied by load. The second LCP hit left in windage for my wife and I, and a looked confirmed that the rear sight was slightly left in the dovetail. Will drift it tonight.

PMC and Privy ball hit POA/POI in elevation. The Lawman ball hit more drive the dot. Thought I read somewhere that the Speer Lawman was the approved LAPD .380 load. I tried the Federal HST 99 grain ammo in LCP #2 and experienced a stoppage. We pushed out to 25 yards with Lawman and Privy, and were getting 6-8 inch groups. Sometimes all A's in a USPSA target, sometimes wider.

I need to try the grip tape things referenced somewhere in the LCP thread. The holster recommended in the same post came, and doesn't fit -- obviously for another pistol. My wife thought the LCP to be small enough to be a viable BUG for her. Both of us commented on the trigger being appropriate for its method of carry and likely range envelope.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I also picked up a pair of the LCP Customs before they went away (and since CDNN is offering them for $239), and put my first 50 (flawless?) rounds through the first one. Recoil was noticeable, but not detrimental. I could see putting a couple hundred rounds through an LCP in a single session before it became unpleasant. I did not experience any trigger pinch, and the red aluminum trigger was quite comfortable.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with this little beastie. I think the trigger pull is very appropriate for a pocket pistol, and recoil was noticeable, but not detrimental. The pistol was quite shootable, and required less effort to be accurate than I expected given my prior experience with pocket guns (a S&W 642). I did notice that ejection was different when shooting one-handed, as cases went directly over my head as opposed to back and right with a 2-handed grip. I had one case go down the back of my shirt and nestle at the bottom of my tucked-in undershirt, but managed to avoid flailing around and muzzling the entire range long enough to set the gun down, step back, and deal with the problem. Karma points? In any case, ejection was strong, and the primer strikes on the spent cases were deep and centered.

I did pull a few rounds right, and at first the thin, short grip required a little more attention to keep from pulling shots, but once I got a feel for the gun failure drills were fast and easy. When focusing on accuracy, it wasn't hard to put a round in the exact spot that I wanted. The slide not locking back to the rear on an empty gun confused me a bit, and I tried to transition into a failure drill when caught by surprise, but as others have stated it's not a big deal given the intended purpose of this pistol.

The luminescent front sight does a pretty good job for what it is--I charged it with my Surefire G2 before running out to pick up dinner, and it still useable upon my return. I would prefer a tritium front sight, though, as the benefits of a sight that is charged by light are somewhat lost on a gun that lives in a pants pocket. I'm considering holding tryouts for my two guns, with the most reliable and/or best shooting version being designated as the "carry" gun and being sent to ToolTech for a tritium insert, while the other one is regulated to the "training" role.

Although it doesn't exactly disappear in dress pants, I think this pistol will be just about perfect for its intended role as the gun I carry when I can't carry a gun. I did carry it at work this week one day and caught my boss looking at my pocket at one point, but the pants I was wearing pretty much outlined the pistol. I think that once I get a proper holster to break up the outline, it will be apparent that something is in my pocket, but not obvious that it's a gun.

Bottom line: in my limited experience, and presuming that the reliability of my guns matches that of the earlier comments, the LCP Custom is a very well designed pocket pistol, and the high-visibility sights make it very shootable. It will serve the niche pocket BUG and/or deep concealment role well, and is hard to beat at the price.

Site Supporter
    When carrying in a pants pocket, proper selection of pants is as critical as it is for IWB. I always buy pleated pants regardless of whether pleats are currently in style. A couple of extra inches in the waistband and/or buying relaxed fit also help. Pants that are fitted like a tailor would be trained to fit them will not work.

My favorite pocket holster is a DeSantis Superfly, which includes an anti-print panel. Tuff Products also makes a good pocket holster with a place for a spare magazine. When I use the Tuff Products holster, I take about 4 sheets of copy paper, fold them up into a rectangle the approximate size of the gun and holster, and place the folded paper in front of the holster in my pocket. The result is that any printing looks like a rectangular shape, like a wallet or phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I just picked up an LCP II for pocket and ankle carry. It's actually a pretty decent shooter for what it is. I was pretty consistently keeping shots on an 8in plate at 25m. the sights are fixed and seemed a little off for where I was shooting, but I was hitting low left, so that may have been my trigger squeeze. The trigger is pretty good overall though. I shot 100 rounds of shit tula steel cased ammo through it yesterday. Recoil was a tad snappy, but not terrible. For me, it was pretty comparable to a glock 43, recoil wise. The first 50 rounds went fine, but I experienced 4 failure to extract malfunctions in the second 50 rounds, which I wasn't overly jazzed about. I'm going to give it another go with decent brass cased ammo, since that stuff is really shitty ammo, and if it still has problems, back to ruger it's going. Overall, malfunctions aside, I think I like it quite a bit.

thanks for the link, that is something that I really, really don't want.

User Tag List