Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP II - Just came out!

Site Supporter
    If this was a typical single action, I would completely agree with concerns about pocket carry. However, from the video, it looks like the trigger travels farther than I would expect for a single action, looking more like what I would expect from a partially preset double action like the original LCP. However, there is a clear difference in the trigger weight for the first 3/4 of the trigger pull and the last 1/4 of the pull. If the weight for the first 3/4 is adequate (5-6 lb.), the remaining pull is not much more than that, and the hammer or firing pin block mechanism is sound, I would not have a problem with this as a single action.

As with any pocket carried gun, a good pocket holster (which Ruger is smart to supply) and nothing else in the pocket are always wise.

Another maker of pocket pistols, whose products I own and generally like, insists on heavy DA trigger pulls for "safety." As evidence for the need for this, they once cited an instance of an idiot who managed to have an accidental discharge by carrying a Kel-Tec P-32 in his pocket, without a pocket holster, and forgot that his knife, on a keychain, was in the same pocket. The knife or keychain worked its way into the trigger area as he moved around. Reaching into the pocket and pushing down on the gun discharged the gun, fortunately causing nothing more than a hole in his pants and some embarrassment. I don't know if the heavier trigger would have prevented this from happening given that the user's entire arm was pushing down on the gun, but proper carry certainly would have prevented it. The heavier trigger definitely makes their guns harder to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was so thrilled, I went on Gunbroker and bought a used LCP Custom this morning, once I realized Ruger had discontinued that model.
    I'm right behind you.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    The P30 did a Walk of Shame.
    The P30 hit slump buster YO!

Vending Machine Operator
    Eh, my standard early-model LCP (serial number just after the initial drop-recall batch) is exactly what I expect the LCP to be. It's ugly, cheap, sightless, and weak. I carry it as a panic option for when it's absolutely impossible to carry my PPS. I don't need the trigger to be shorter, I don't need a cool mega-grip, and I don't particularly need a last round holdopen since if I manage to get in a gunfight with a freaking LCP to the point I'm reloading, I should be RUNNING.

I like that they're trying to improve the product line, and I'll keep an open mind, maybe it ends up being awesome.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 10-07-2016 at 03:05 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    ... maybe it ends up being awesome.
    Nah... its just another KelTec with lipstick and better clothes. The caliber is bad enough (for a "defensive" pistol); the ergos, etc., truly suck, IMO. I've had to shoot dozens of the things in the lab, and eventually began to pass them on to the fresh meat analysts because I was tired of handling the nasty little critters. Of course, you may be right... this "second edition" may indeed be better in the ergo regard.

But to me, its still a POS KelTec...

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Nah... its just another KelTec with lipstick and better clothes. The caliber is bad enough (for a "defensive" pistol); the ergos, etc., truly suck, IMO. I've had to shoot dozens of the things in the lab, and eventually began to pass them on to the fresh meat analysts because I was tired of handling the nasty little critters. Of course, you may be right... this "second edition" may indeed be better in the ergo regard.

But to me, its still a POS KelTec...

I felt like I had to include that "it might be awesome" bit so nobody got on me for being a negative Nelly

The LCP II is an ounce HEAVIER than the LCP and is .01" WIDER than an LC9s. I would prefer my micro guns stay...you know...MICRO.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I don't particularly need a last round holdopen since if I manage to get in a gunfight with a freaking LCP to the point I'm reloading, I should be RUNNING.
    Definitely increases the potential for malfunction - shooter induced or otherwise.

Remember the troubles the early Glock 42 pistols had with premature slide lock when using hotter loads like Buffalo Bore ammo.

As large as my hands are, I would probably ride the slide stop thereby rendering it mostly useless anyway.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 10-07-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    The P30 did a Walk of Shame.
    Hope the P30 got a VD shot.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Hope the P30 got a VD shot.
    "I'm sorry Mr. 30. You have Grip Zones."

User Tag List