Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago police officer says she feared using gun while being beaten

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Hard to parse??? Are you a cop? Or ever been one?

If not, then you are clueless and should not make such remarks regarding shit you do not understand.

If so, then you have obviously never worked for an agency that does NOT back its people for ANY righteous shoot, regardless of what the left thinks.

Yes, there are incidents where cops have frozen because they are in a job they cannot handle/deal with; you are right about that. But I wasn't at this incident, and neither were you. To hint around that this girl may have turned yellow, without knowing for sure, is just plain chickenshit.

While by the standards of today's technology and rampant political agenda the climate I worked in from the very early 80's for the next 20 some odd years pales in comparison, the thought had occurred to me very early on that my own agencies and the U.S. Attorney's office were our friends and drinking partners when and while we all sat at the same table in a courtroom. Otherwise, one could take scant comfort from lip service and bravado.
    If someone had to be fed to the sharks...well...

This became more and more obvious with each passing year. And despite laying the predicate for today's brave new world, it still overwhelms my mind when I realize how entrenched it's become like a cancer slowly spreading within an unsuspecting host.
    Last edited by blues; 10-07-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    LSP972 Hard to parse meant that we don't know exactly what happened. Is that so hard to understand? If that offends you, tough. Because someone says something, is it always God's truth just because you decided they are telling the truth. Not being intellectually honest and analytic is stupid. One reason to have a discussion medium is just for that, rather than some lockstep blather.

If you want to think that a freeze means someone is chickenshit and we shouldn't discuss it, is also stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    LSP972 Hard to parse meant that we don't know exactly what happened. Is that so hard to understand? If that offends you, tough. Because someone says something, is it always God's truth just because you decided they are telling the truth. Not being intellectually honest and analytic is stupid. One reason to have a discussion medium is just for that, rather than some lockstep blather.

If you want to think that a freeze means someone is chickenshit and we shouldn't discuss it, is also stupid.
    My understanding is the woman in question had 17 years in when the assault happened. That's 17 years of police work in a place that's closer to Sodom then Jerusalem in nature. I'd err on the side of saying this wasn't the first time someone tried to assault her, and the fact she knew she could shoot the dude in her statement is another data point.

While people freezing in response to danger happens , it appears this wasn't the case here. Rather this 17 year veteran, close to retirement after nearly two decades of police work and familiar with Chicago politics, rationally knew what her city management would do if she defended herself and thus kept her gun holstered. Clearly her partner agreed- as HE didn't shoot the attacker either.

What mad world we live in, where the life of an offender is worth more then one of a LEO in the eyes of the government they're employed by.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Perhaps wise beyond her years.

As I suspected. You didn't answer my question... which means you did. And I meant that YOU were chickenshit; not the officer. You're more clueless than I thought.

But by all means, discuss away.

Site Supporter
    Think what you want. Everyone who thinks they can analyze a situation from initial reports is welcome to it. Of course, every claim of police bias is correct because someone said so. I don't need to say - oh, dear - I didn't mean she was yellow. I was talking about a well known effect that can even strike the well trained. There are reports of the best freezing at times. Go read. If you want to think analysis is pejorative, that's in your mind.

If the question is whether I'm a cop, you know I'm not. So what. The analyses of fear, fight, freeze, flight responses didn't come out of the blue.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 10-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.

If the question is whether I'm a cop, you know I'm not. So what. The analyses of fear, fight, freeze, flight responses didn't come out of the blue.
    Actually, I did NOT know. There are some LE types here, at the federal level and below, who have elected not to advertise that. If I was still active (as opposed to retired, though still working on the sidelines) I'd probably do the same thing. Hence the question.

And I still don't understand what makes you think _I_ decided anything... Other than your statement seemed to me to be very abrasive and accusatory toward that CPD officer. And NONE of us here know what really happened... Yet.

Other than that, I don't have any issues with your other statements/comments regarding the fact that some cops do indeed suffer vapor lock when TSHTF. I know that better than you ever will.

Whatever. Have a large day.

Site Supporter
    I don't know what you guys are arguing about but this is really pretty simple. They respond to a crash, dude who is high on PCP takes exception and attacks them. The fight is on and he is Tazed. Three times. No effect. He is pepper sprayed. No effect. The male officer breaks his thumb and tears a quad. He's out of commision. Dude attacks the female and begins pounding her head into the pavement. While she realizes that this is a dire situation, she decides rightly or wrongly, not to shoot. He is subsequently arrested and taken into custody. Everyone of us knows that the city will throw us to the wolves in a heartbeat. That's why we are lying low and trying to avoid anything. As a matter of fact the City is re-writing the G.O. on the use of deadly force. It will almost prohibit us from pulling out our weapons anytime except in the most extreme cases. So f... em. Everyone of us knew this was going to happen. And everyone of us knows it will happen again somewhere. And everyone one of us knows one of us is going to die because of it. Police work is done. Over. Kaput. Except maybe at the federal level. IMHO, the only smart thing to do is train,train,train and do whatever it takes to get your twenty in and make sure you go home each night. Everything else is just chatter. BTW, we are well paid here in Chicago. And it is not the thug we fear, it is the politicians and the Command Staff. THEY sold us out. Eddie Johnson who I know personally has this woman's blood on his hands as much as the offender does because he helped the politicians create this atmosphere. I loved my job and the Chicago Police Department. Have for years. But now I'm slowly beginning to hate them both. Not the rank and file but the Command Staff. They destroyed my beloved Department.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 10-08-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

As previously noted, it's nothing but a cancer; the inevitable byproduct of political correctness carried to the extreme, and it's spreading to even the smallest of departments in most areas of the country with left leaning politics.

More than ever, where you live in future days will have a direct effect on the quality of life you experience, regardless of your walk in life.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I get really tired of hearing people say that people who haven't been representatives/agents/employees of government/public services shouldn't talk about how government/public services could/should or do work.

First, nearly everything related to public service is public information, and much that is not, probably should be, so that citizens can make informed decisions regarding said services.

Secondly, I feel like, if anything, people who are not a part of government/public service should have the most say about how it should work, and those that are representatives of those services should have the least say, because the interests of those working only serve to support themselves, rather than the public good.

Obviously there is some balance. If the rights and safety of those agents/employees are not protected, then the service will eventually fail to exist. But, at the end of the day, our system was set up to make "public servants" where the agent/employee/representative answers to the public. To me, that means that with the input and viewpoints of the public servant being taken into account, the public, rather than the servant is reserved the rights to make statements and decisions about the good of the public.

So, yeah, I get really tired of the whole, "if you haven't worked in it, you aren't qualified to talk about it" attitude. If anything, the governmental actor should give qualified feedback, and the non-governmental actor should be discussing and making decisions about how things should work.

*I say this as a person who has worked both in and out of public service roles.

User Tag List