Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 185: The Two Second Standards Part 1

Week 185: The Two Second Standards Part 1

Week 185: The Two Second Standards Part 1

Results may be posted until November 7th, 2016.

Designed by: Hardwired Tactical Shooting
    Range: 3 and 5 yards
    Target: B8 bull (black only) - download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Holstered or ready
    Rounds Fired: Varies
    Par Time: 2 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs
    In a close range deadly force confrontation, time will be the most critical commodity. The armed citizen/officer responding to the threat will have very little time to make effective shots on the adversary (ies) posing the threat. While every fight is different, my proposal is that we must achieve effective hits (and as many as possible) within no more than a two second window at the beginning of hostilities.
    This week we're going to focus on the most core aspects of the two second standards: presentation of the handgun from the holster and from ready, and shooting the B8 bull at 3 and 5 yards, with 100% hits under the time limit. We'll repeat this drill at some point in the future and widen the scope to a greater variety of tasks and distances.

String 1: Place the target at 3 yards and start in ready position of your choice. At the start signal, shoot as many rounds to the black B8 bull as possible. Record the number of hits you got within the par time. If you have any misses (shots outside the black bull), or any overtime shots, your score is zero.

String 2: Repeat string 1, but starting from the holster.

String 3: Place the target at 5 yards and start in ready position of your choice. At the start signal, shoot as many rounds to the black B8 bull as possible. Record the number of hits you got within the par time. If you have any misses (shots outside the black bull), or any overtime shots, your score is zero.

String 4: Repeat string 3, but starting from the holster.

If you completed all four strings with no misses or overtime shots, you Pass. If you have any misses or overtime shots, you Fail.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Score on String 1
    Score on String 2
    Score on String 3
    Score on String 4
    Grand Total Score
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

If you aren't able to shoot from the holster, would it be beneficial to shoot those strings from the position in the drawstroke where your hands normally join?

Site Supporter
    I'm not parsing part of this. "As many rounds as possible" before par time ends does not seem to jive with "any overtime shots" making the score zero, because, at least in *my* head, I start shooting as soon as I can, as fast as I can make hits, until the second beep stops me, but that almost certainly means I'll have a shot or two after the second beep before my reaction time can stop my trigger finger.

Probably doesn't matter much for me, since I'll probably get two shots off from ready, and be lucky to get one from the holster.

Fair question Duelist. I've asked the originators of the drill to clarify which way they think is most appropriate and I'll pass it along here.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    If you aren't able to shoot from the holster, would it be beneficial to shoot those strings from the position in the drawstroke where your hands normally join?
    Sure, I think that's fair enough and a good option to enable your participation in the drill.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I'm not parsing part of this. "As many rounds as possible" before par time ends does not seem to jive with "any overtime shots" making the score zero, because, at least in *my* head, I start shooting as soon as I can, as fast as I can make hits, until the second beep stops me, but that almost certainly means I'll have a shot or two after the second beep before my reaction time can stop my trigger finger.

Probably doesn't matter much for me, since I'll probably get two shots off from ready, and be lucky to get one from the holster.
    Verified with Wayne - no grace period. Any shot out of the black or any overtime shot = score of 0.
    Lord of the Food Court

The drill is kind of about knowing when to stop.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The drill is kind of about knowing when to stop.
    It is 2016, now when you shoot someone you have to do it "humanely". When I run this drill I will apologize to the target before I start my search and assess.

Been doin pretty good on the DOTW's Gabe!
    i used to wannabe

Something must not be translating properly, or the #1 thing you are testing is knowing what two seconds is? Perhaps it was designed for targets that turn, presenting themselves only for the fixed amount of time. Hopefully Wayne or Darryl can clarify.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Something must not be translating properly, or the #1 thing you are testing is knowing what two seconds is? Perhaps it was designed for targets that turn, presenting themselves only for the fixed amount of time. Hopefully Wayne or Darryl can clarify.
    Set a 1.7s par time on the timer and give yourself a .3s overtime to stay in 2s.

User Tag List