Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Case Blazer 38 sp. WC 148 grain

Site Supporter
    I've never had good accuracy with anything by Blazer...add aluminum case to the mix and you've got as close to a perfect mix of total crap ammo as you can get produced stateside...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I've never had good accuracy with anything by Blazer...add aluminum case to the mix and you've got as close to a perfect mix of total crap ammo as you can get produced stateside...
    You obviously have not seen/tried to shoot some of the more popular reloads... aka "remanufactured" ammunition.

I have been shooting Blazer aluminum, on and off, ever since it came out; LOTS of it. In fact, for several years I purchased hundreds of thousands of rounds of 9mm for training ammunition for my agency, where I had over a thousand people to train/qualify. The only bad experience I've had with any of it (both rimmed and rimless cartridges), was during those few years when they simply would not run through our MP5s. The reason was, of course, that the aluminum cases do not obturate as much as brass does... and this is bad juju in the HK fluted chamber. I had the same problem shooting the stuff through a couple of my HK P7 pistols.

That said... there have been a few somewhat recent instances where the aluminum cases have POSSIBLY trashed a pistol's chamber, via the case developing a pin hole during ignition and allowing a "jet" of gas to etch the chamber wall pretty badly. No, I do not have a link, but there was a big thread about it on HKPro some time back; earlier this year, or maybe last year. I don't recall what the final judgement was, but the photo's looked pretty conclusive to me.

Bottom line, of course, is that nothing is always perfect, and problems arise. But to make a statement that all Blazer aluminum is "total crap ammunition produced stateside"... ah, no.

Last edited by LSP972; 10-10-2016 at 10:11 AM.

My academy used Blazer in the late 1980s. About half or more of the class had revolvers and we each went through well over a thousand rounds without an issue. When my agency had 5906 pistols I bought Blazer for training ammunition. The only problem we had was that one of our MP5s wouldn't run it so I bought reman from Black Hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A case from delta precision (per LSP972's recommendation) for practice and half a case of Federal for carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    If the price is the same, I'd opt for the brass cases....
    Last edited by UNK; 10-10-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Unless these are loaded to be smoking hot--which I doubt with Blazer--it is hard to see how they would come uncrimped and lock up a cylinder. I've only seen that happen with extremely hot loads, and it is difficult to imagine it happening with normally loaded wadcutters.

I'd try them. Indeed, where are you finding them so I can try some?
    It was on Ammo Seek.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    You obviously have not seen/tried to shoot some of the more popular reloads... aka "remanufactured" ammunition.

I have been shooting Blazer aluminum, on and off, ever since it came out; LOTS of it. In fact, for several years I purchased hundreds of thousands of rounds of 9mm for training ammunition for my agency, where I had over a thousand people to train/qualify. The only bad experience I've had with any of it (both rimmed and rimless cartridges), was during those few years when they simply would not run through our MP5s. The reason was, of course, that the aluminum cases do not obturate as much as brass does... and this is bad juju in the HK fluted chamber. I had the same problem shooting the stuff through a couple of my HK P7 pistols.

That said... there have been a few somewhat recent instances where the aluminum cases have POSSIBLY trashed a pistol's chamber, via the case developing a pin hole during ignition and allowing a "jet" of gas to etch the chamber wall pretty badly. No, I do not have a link, but there was a big thread about it on HKPro some time back; earlier this year, or maybe last year. I don't recall what the final judgement was, but the photo's looked pretty conclusive to me.

Bottom line, of course, is that nothing is always perfect, and problems arise. But to make a statement that all Blazer aluminum is "total crap ammunition produced stateside"... ah, no.

Well yeah...I'm not talking about reman ammo...Freedom Munitions ammo always left a bad taste in my mouth so anymore I stick with factory stuff.

I've never had good luck with aluminum cased ammo. Granted I shoot mostly 1911's and they never fed fired or extracted aluminum cases worth a damn so the choice is made for me. Also I reload for .45 so the brass case is worth the extra cash...I can find aluminum .45 ACP at around 12 or 13 bucks a box vs 14-15 bucks for brass cased if I score a decent deal, which only takes a little digging.

I don't reload for 9mm so maybe I'll pick up a box or two of russkie stuff for the Berettas. But like I said, I've never had good accuracy from Blazer. Not sure why, but I've had better luck with federal. It's probably not enough to even matter, given my own accuracy probably isn't that great....but it's good enough to realize the difference, and better is better. I'm sure it's fine for qualification/USPSA/etc etc...but hey, it's my money and I can afford to be picky.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well yeah...I'm not talking about reman ammo...Freedom Munitions ammo always left a bad taste in my mouth so anymore I stick with factory stuff.
    Agreed. I've seen defective product on the shelves of their retail store here in Houston, and the staff there tried to tell me it was correct. I won't buy their stuff.

I don't reload for 9mm so maybe I'll pick up a box or two of russkie stuff for the Berettas. But like I said, I've never had good accuracy from Blazer. Not sure why, but I've had better luck with federal. It's probably not enough to even matter, given my own accuracy probably isn't that great....but it's good enough to realize the difference, and better is better. I'm sure it's fine for qualification/USPSA/etc etc...but hey, it's my money and I can afford to be picky.
    It often depends whether a particular gun (or maybe model of gun) "likes" a particular ammo. I've seen Federal AE in .45 give horrible accuracy in multiple pistols, but have done OK with their 9mm. Lawman 165gr .40 is another that seems to go one way or the other: many excellent reviews, with a significant number saying it won't group nearly as well as other ammo in the same gun. I've seen it do relatively poorly from multiple pistols. I am pretty happy overall with Blazer Brass.

Site Supporter
    For whatever it is worth, I have shot thousands of rounds of Blazer aluminum cased 9mm through a Glock with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Is there any difference between the Blazer aluminum cased ammo and the aluminum cased Federal sold at Wal-Mart? I have shot a few hundred of the Wally World stuff through two gen2 Glocks and a SIG P228 with no issues and acceptable accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Is there any difference between the Blazer aluminum cased ammo and the aluminum cased Federal sold at Wal-Mart? I have shot a few hundred of the Wally World stuff through two gen2 Glocks and a SIG P228 with no issues and acceptable accuracy.
    I assume it comes off the same line since ATK owns both CCI and Federal

User Tag List