Thread: Should I put a laser on my new Ruger LCP?

Please remove this thread - Should I put a laser on my new Ruger LCP?

Should I put a laser on my new Ruger LCP?

Mod. Please remove this post. Thanks.
    Last edited by lawnguy; 10-06-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Howdy Fellas! I have a Ruger LCP Custom. I have no experience with lasers. Is it true that a green dot laser shows up outside during the day,and a red dot doesn't? What is the very best laser for my LCP Custom?

Quote Originally Posted by lawnguy View Post
    Should I put a laser on my new Ruger LCP?

Mod. Please remove this post. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnguy View Post
    Howdy Fellas! I have a Ruger LCP Custom. I have no experience with lasers. Is it true that a green dot laser shows up outside during the day,and a red dot doesn't? What is the very best laser for my LCP Custom?
    Green is more visible during the day. I have so far stayed away from green because I understand that the beam can be seen at night, not just the dot where it hits. In my opinion that may give a bad guy too much information in some situations. Now that I see how easily the activation button on the Crimson Trace units can be controlled, I may change my mind.

I do not believe Crimson Trace makes green for this gun yet, but I could be wrong. Others might make green but I can only comment on Crimson Trace from personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Thank you Sir! I will look into the Crimson Trace.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Green is more visible during the day. I have so far stayed away from green because I understand that the beam can be seen at night, not just the dot where it hits. In my opinion that may give a bad guy too much information in some situations. Now that I see how easily the activation button on the Crimson Trace units can be controlled, I may change my mind.

I do not believe Crimson Trace makes green for this gun yet, but I could be wrong. Others might make green but I can only comment on Crimson Trace from personal experience.

The green laser is worthwhile for home defense; duty use will depend on the laser technology, as the older green laser diodes were fairly temperature sensitive and power hungry. I do not consider the fact that the laser can be traced back to you to be an issue, as ideally you'd be running momentary anyway, or have a flash light that's on to begin with, etc.

I'll also note that IME, a laser isn't really all that helpful in helping you to hit what you're aiming at if you have poor trigger control or a strong anticipation. On a square range doing slow fire, my non-shooting friends will quite often end up trying to chase the dot as it bounces around, and try to squeeze off a round at the exact right time, which of course leads to them flinching and throwing the round way off; using a red dot yielded better results, while irons were on par with the laser.

I've had a Crimson trace, Laser Grip on my carry gun for a number of years. One thing that surprised me was that I was quicker without the laser. Run this for yourself. Set up a target at whatever range, draw and engage the target on a timer. It was repeatable for me. When I looked to see where the dot is, I hesitated to break the shot. When I saw what I needed to see to hit the same target with my sights, I shot faster on the clock. It's also one of the reasons that I haven't taken off my red dot Crimson Trace. I find it helpful in low light, so no need for green during the day, since I am faster with open sights than the dot when I can see my sights. By the way, I do run Trijicon HD night sights, but the dot is still a good thing in the night in low light for me.

I'll get a chance to really shake this out in the coming weeks. I have a class coming up at the beginning of Nov. Basically 10 hours in the dark. Mostly running hand held lights, but I will also run a Surefire X300 weapon mounted light and then run it with a handheld light and laser. Should be a blast. Three guns for the class G34 with handheld light (just because I don't want to buy another weapon mounted holster for the G34), a G19 with a Crimson Trace and a different G19 with the Surefire X300U.

If you want a laser, get one, but be knowledgeable that it actually might slow you down.

Site Supporter
    When I use a laser, I draw exactly as I would with iron sights, bringing the gun up the same way, and use whichever sight system I see first.

I find the laser to be a tremendous aid to accuracy with a gun like the LCP and would expect similar results with a small frame .38 revolver. With a Glock 26 or anything bigger, the accuracy improvement becomes minimal, in large part due to the highly visible irons and decent sight radius.

The possibility of not having time to grab my glasses if I need my home defense pistol, or the possibility of having glasses knocked off in a fight, are huge reasons for my interest in lasers.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List