Thread: CZ P09/P07 safety at half cock.

CZ P09/P07 safety at half cock.

Greeting, gurus!

This is my first post on this esteem forum. I do hope to avoid any controversy or unnecessary heated discussion. My question is pure technical in its nature and has nothing to do with the philosophy of the firearm condition readiness.

So…. CZ P09/P07 have two setup options: decocker and safety. With safety installed, the hammer can be lowered to a half-cock notch. At this point, the safety lever can be engaged. Is there anything mechanically unreliable with the handgun in such condition? Can any internal components be damaged with pulling the tiger from half-cock and safety engaged?

Thanks!

Not a guru

I have P09 in decocker config. Tried manual safety (was used to this from other CZs), but decocker works better for me.
    What happens in the condition you describe: manual safety will allow you to pull the trigger a small bit, but you`ll be nowhere near able to fire the pistol. Can internal components break while pulling on the trigger with safety on? We are speaking hardened aluminum and steel - unlikely.

@Honza!

Thanks! That what I thought.

Site Supporter
    Mechanically, it won't hurt anything but safety wise, the gun may or may not fire if the trigger is pulled and the hammer falls from the half cock notch.

A better question is why would you want to do this ? The half cock notch exists as a safety measure to "catch" the hammer in case the standard full cock notch breaks, it is not intended as a carry mode. Having to thumb back the hammer fully after removing the safety to fire the gun is an inherently unsafe practice.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Mechanically, it won't hurt anything but safety wise, the gun may or may not fire if the trigger is pulled and the hammer falls from the half cock notch.

A better question is why would you want to do this ? The half cock notch exists as a safety measure to "catch" the hammer in case the standard full cock notch breaks, it is not intended as a carry mode. Having to thumb back the hammer fully after removing the safety to fire the gun is an inherently unsafe practice.
    The decocker on CZ's drops the hammer to 1/2 cock. It is reliable from there ... They seem to have engineered the decock mechanism around their non-firing-pin-safety/block firearms (Don't want the hammer resting on the back of the firing pin).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    The decocker on CZ's drops the hammer to 1/2 cock. It is reliable from there ... They seem to have engineered the decock mechanism around their non-firing-pin-safety/block firearms (Don't want the hammer resting on the back of the firing pin).
    I know some of the CZ's do not, but the P07 has a firing pin safety.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Having to thumb back the hammer fully after removing the safety to fire the gun is an inherently unsafe practice.

CZ P09/07 are SA/DA. With the hammer at half-cock, after disengaging safety, the trigger will work in DA mode.

User Tag List