Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It won't happen to me if I don't want it to

It won't happen to me if I don't want it to

I thought I'd post this here because it is about mindset. I posted in the hurricane thread that we will get hit hard tonight. There really hasn't been any doubt of that since Monday night, so Tuesday I started getting the house closed up. Yesterday my neighbor in back still had a ton of shit in her yard, and I offered to help her get it put away. Her response was (about very lightweight stuff in the yard) "that shouldn't blow around." I wanted to say, "Lady, this storm is a Cat 4 motherfucker and your patio furniture will fly." Then she says she's not covering part of her windows. In her words, "I'm just ignoring them." Alrighty, then.

It was a great reminder that most people are mentally in a world where it can't happen if they don't want it to. Storms, robbery, whatever.

Tom Givens teaches students to skip the "why is this happening" part and just start dealing with the fact that it is. I suppose my point is work on mindset in all aspects of life, not just crime.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Because preparing for the hardship is hard. It is difficult work and most people will rather "wing it" than take the time to develop protocols and procedures in order to meet and overcome any problems that may arise from a specific incident, especially one which is very likely to occur.

For those of us who understand that hardships are what help us develop into responsible and capable people we should also know that sometimes we must disregard those who will not help themselves, especially after being advised of possible outcomes.

Ignorance is in fact bliss, but we are all held responsible for our ignorance.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Protect your house and family and batten down the hatches. If someone else doesn't care about a hurricane (or fire, or alien invasion for that matter) coming for their house fuck 'em
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It was a great reminder that most people are mentally in a world where it can't happen if they don't want it to. Storms, robbery, whatever.

Tom Givens teaches students to skip the "why is this happening" part and just start dealing with the fact that it is. I suppose my point is work on mindset in all aspects of life, not just crime.
    Bingo.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The "it won't happen here" is something I heard quite frequently right up until a Turkish shitbag shot and killed 5 people in our mall a couple weeks ago. They had forgotten all about Isaac Zamora who went on a mobile shooting and killing rampage in 2008 just a few miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I thought I'd post this here because it is about mindset. I posted in the hurricane thread that we will get hit hard tonight. There really hasn't been any doubt of that since Monday night, so Tuesday I started getting the house closed up. Yesterday my neighbor in back still had a ton of shit in her yard, and I offered to help her get it put away. Her response was (about very lightweight stuff in the yard) "that shouldn't blow around." I wanted to say, "Lady, this storm is a Cat 4 motherfucker and your patio furniture will fly." Then she says she's not covering part of her windows. In her words, "I'm just ignoring them." Alrighty, then.
    I think that the concept of sustained 100+ mph wind and the capacity for making things fly is beyond most people's ability to imagine unless they've seen it. The problem with this mindset, particularly in this situation, is that her stuff could fly into someone else's home. Just cuz it's your stuff don't mean it's all about you.
    Last edited by mc1911; 10-06-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Bingo.
    Sometimes life picks you up and dumps you on a path where the only options at the fork in the road are "bad" and "worse" (or multiple outcomes somewhere in that spectrum. The only thing left to do is accept that the outcome will be a less than optimal, and evaluate which one will be less painful than the others.

Talking

Until there are Earthquakes in Oklahoma- it can't happen to.......

Wait .......

Crap!
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 10-07-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Far too many people think that if you think about a problem, or plan for it, you will somehow make it happen.
    During a crisis management training a few weeks ago, someone mentioned that some people he knew were not actually able to do a risk assessment without freaking out.
    I understand the thought, but don't really grok it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Far too many people think that if you think about a problem, or plan for it, you will somehow make it happen.
    I totally get that. I'm going to immediately start applying this technique to my problem of not being able to get a 20 something supermodel to fall in live with me.

User Tag List