Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It won't happen to me if I don't want it to

The reverse is also true, in that some people relish the idea that something "bad" is imminent so that they have a reason to run around, "prepare", buy new shit, etc. and then ridicule everyone that doesn't see the imminent threat the same way they do.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The reverse is also true, in that some people relish the idea that something "bad" is imminent so that they have a reason to run around, "prepare", buy new shit, etc. and then ridicule everyone that doesn't see the imminent threat the same way they do.
    That's the point of doing a risk assessment. One has to sort the more and less likely risk, and their potential impact.
    A 10 day blizzard could hit Florida, but it is very very unlikely, so not really worth planning for. A hurricane, on the other hand, is.
    There's also a balance there- refusing to prep for a hurricane until the last possible second is stupid and expensive. Keeping your shutters up year round just is case is also pretty stupid.

This reminds me of folks who advise getting an AR and a Glock "because you can pick up spares and ammo during the zombie apocalypse". If you don't have it before all hell breaks loose, you won't have it after.

Which reminds me- Winter is coming
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Don't know if this was true, but today I heard about a woman who was ranting on-camera because "no one told me a hurricane could blow my roof off!"
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    That's the point of doing a risk assessment. One has to sort the more and less likely risk, and their potential impact.
    A 10 day blizzard could hit Florida, but it is very very unlikely, so not really worth planning for. A hurricane, on the other hand, is.
    There's also a balance there- refusing to prep for a hurricane until the last possible second is stupid and expensive. Keeping your shutters up year round just is case is also pretty stupid.
    Exactly. In my very minimal risk management training we were taught that it's basically frequency and risk level. Evaluate and train/prepare accordingly.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    "You're a sheeple.
    I'm prepared.
    He's paranoid."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List