Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G19 Gen4 with factory np3 finish?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Guys, I was wrong, it isn't the same price. They are asking about $70 more for the np3.
    Dealer,Collector in Hopewell?

Dealer is on long Island

For certain applications NP3 is pretty bad ass.

The NP3 trigger parts I had done on some stock parts for my gen 3 G19 and 17, one each, gave me a very nice, smooth trigger press without dropping the weight of the trigger per se, and when they gunk up they clean as easily as wiping with a dry cloth.

When I was at Uncle Pat's carbine class in Boone County shooting #125 I ran over 1000 rounds through the gun with the BCG dry. The bolt/cam pin/carrier were NP3ed.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 10-11-2016 at 07:29 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

The NP3 trigger parts I had done on some stock parts for my gen 3 G19 and 17, one each, gave me a very nice, smooth trigger press without dropping the weight of the trigger per se, and when they gunk up they clean as easily as wiping with a dry cloth.

When I was at Uncle Pat's carbine class in Boone County shooting #125 I ran over 1000 rounds through the gun with the BCG dry. The bolt/cam pin/carrier were NP3ed.
    I recently picked up a minus Glock connector that is np3 plated and I was surprised at how smooth it was compared to stock parts.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Nickel-Teflon finished FCG parts are standard with GrayGuns trigger jobs, as well. At least it was when I sent my P2000 to them.

When I bought my MDE, the standard nickel-Teflon finish was a selling point. The idea was that it would be used as a pocket gun in hot, humid weather in a coastal area.

For a gun that comes standard with nitrocarburized steel, it's really just an aesthetic. I would keep in mind that NP3 is not a replacement for lube, and I've noticed that lube tends to need more frequent reapplication on nickel Teflon finishes.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

While I have never NP3ed a Glock, I have several SIGs. Back in the pre K-Cote days a SIG would rust in my summer special by the end of the day. The Norton Special (Slide and all internals but not frame) was extremely popular with LSP folks using early personal SIGs. I've had P226s, P220s and P225s done this way and they were all outstanding. Wish I still had them. The NP3 made a major difference in the smoothness of the trigger.

You are tempting me to send off some gen 4 Glock parts.....
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-11-2016 at 11:03 PM.

I have several handguns (everything from 1911 to Glock to SP-101 to Woodsman) with NP3 on all or part of the gun, and I really like the finish for what it is. I also understand the limitations of the finish. It excels in providing lubricity in sandy and dusty conditions, and it also provides corrosion resistance. For action parts, it is tough to find a better finish for consistent smooth trigger feel. I really like it on the Glock and Woodsman internals as it cleans up extremely easily (especially on the Woodsman) while providing a consistent trigger. The finish does not eliminate the requirement to properly lube the gun, but the gun can be fired more without lube re-application.

Because it contains PTFE (teflon), it can be slick, especially when your hands are wet or sweaty. It is a bit harder than the underlying slide steel, but it is not abrasion proof. It does adhere very well, and the plating thickness is much more uniform than hard chrome as the plating process not require an electrical charge. It is not as hard as hard chrome, but it is much more corrosion-resistant. It is not inexpensive and Robar is not quick in turning around guns. For $70 extra -- if it is NP3 and not Fail Zero (NiB) -- I would purchase that gun in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    You are tempting me to send off some gen 4 Glock parts.....
    Isn't that like putting lipstick on a pig?

(Typed by someone traveling, and wearing a G26)
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Isn't that like putting lipstick on a pig?

(Typed by someone traveling, and wearing a G26)
    Yep.....

It's funny how much time, energy and money I have spend chasing incremental changes in fit, feel and performance.

Thanks Glock!

I would recommend going with the stock finish. If you run into corrosion issues Glock will take care of you. My G19 Gen4 recently started rusting which caught me off guard as I've never had this issue with older Glock carry guns before.

I contacted Glock and they took good care of me for being an everyday guy. They sent me a label, refinished the slide, replaced all the small parts, test fired and had it back to me fast. I expected they would have the gun 4-5 weeks, but it was a total of 12 days from when I shipped it to when I got it back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

User Tag List