Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range report after moving my scope to a 12.5" upper

Range report after moving my scope to a 12.5" upper

A few days ago I moved a Bushnell LRHS from my 16" Centurion "Recce" build to a Centurion Arms 12.5" equipped upper and was pleasantly surprised on how well it shot. The 16" Douglas barrel definitely shoots better but I'm pretty much limited to a 100 yard range most of the year so a 1/2" isn't a huge difference unless it's for bragging rights. After this past range trip I'm not sure what I can do with the 16" that can't be done with the SBR.

First 5 shots at 100 yards was with Wolf Gold. I was expecting 2"-3" groups since I was magnified vs irons. I then switched to Fiocchi 50gr V-MAX and it's very accurate/precise for less than $0.50/rd. There was a big shift in group #4 (5-6") when I added a TBAC 30P-1. I don't recall it being this dramatic with the 16" barrel.

I finished up with some Federal 62gr since the reason for putting the scope on here was seeing how it would fare for upcoming deer season. I only shot 3 rounds just to get a rough feel on group size. I'll be out again soon sending some more V-MAX down range so there was no need to zero it for the Fusion just yet. Time to chase sub MOA groups at 100 yds with a factory trigger.

I finally got a Wheeler FAT Wrench a few days ago and correctly torqued down all the loose scope ring bolts to 25 in/lb. The POI from the last trip might've shifted as a result but I'll know for sure when I go again next weekend before swapping to Barnes 70gr TSX for deer.

First group was shot cold and this CL barrel seems to like this load if I do my part and take my time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    After this past range trip I'm not sure what I can do with the 16" that can't be done with the SBR.

I've come to pretty much the same conclusion. My favorite carbine right now is my 12" SBR. I've shot it out to 400 yards using federal fusion, and it's a great setup.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Yeah, I have a 12.5 and the only reason I don't shoot it for everything is that I have a couple of rifles - a BCM Recce 16 and a Colt Canada 15.7 - that get most of my attention just because I usually have them set up to do anything I want, whenever, from 5-250m.

But I also have a half-built Colt Canada/Diemaco 10.5 because short guns are fun and they do 95% of what I want, while being more fun for most of that time.

My 12.5 never misses a beat, though. Plus it's serial number 666.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

This was the last range trip with factory Barnes TSX 70gr. Who says you need a fancy $200 trigger to shoot well?

How is your TBAC attaching to that flashhider?

Hit a chronograph yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    How is your TBAC attaching to that flashhider?
    It's a direct thread on with a TROS adapter from Brownells. I originally got the 30P-1 to put on a .308 bolt and/or 300 BLK upper but decided to stick with 5.56 for lower ammo cost.

The FH is a Smith Enterprises Vortex that doesn't need to be timed so it's just hand tighted which makes it easy to swap back and forth if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Hit a chronograph yet?
    I don't own one but here's what ASYM says about their 70gr TSX load out of an SBR. A few reports I've read said that ASYM is pretty mild and the VOR-TX load is marked 5.56 FWIW.

https://asymammo.com/shop-ammo/rifle...gr-barnes-tsx/

This load performs particularly well in shorter barreled carbines, because it is designed to expand, not fragment. The expansion threshold for this bullet is approximately 1800 fps. Even fired from very short 10.5″ barreled carbines, this expansion velocity threshold is maintained out past 200 yds.
    Last edited by johnson; 11-25-2016 at 09:08 PM.

I have not yet used a thread adaptor myself, but my understanding is that it should be locked down on the barrel, so that you don't have a middle man moving, so to speak. Are you doing that and I'm misunderstanding your FH setup, or are you doing something else? What did TROS say about it?

I tightened the adapter to the suppressor with a wrench and don't remember it ever coming loose. The whole connection feels solid when I tighten the combo to the barrel and stays together when I remove it for transport, etc.

I've never considered contacting TROS since it's always worked for me.

Here's some pictures of the adapter when I first got it and how it looks.

Last edited by johnson; 11-25-2016 at 10:26 PM.

User Tag List