Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We All Have Our SCARs - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need to hang out with Sensei some time.
    Please do. I need more kidneys.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Could you elaborate on what those issues are? Thanks!
    All issues were outlined in initial testing and FN failed/refused to fix them.

Reciprocating charging handle? No thanks

The gun has slightly tighter tolerances than an AR and won't run everything you put in it, fore example I had a lot of issues with tula and some PMC bronze.

Piston design was proprietary in that it sucked ass to take apart and clean.

Buttstock is a joke and breaks easily doesn't stay folded/closed.

Slight difference in m4 to scar controls so there needed a relearning period.

OEM sights aren't great.

Short OEM front rail sucks.

Guide rods show excessive wear even under normal conditions.

Triggers were shit for both.

Heavies broke optics, mags had issues before aftermarket mags.

After my time with one I decided it had nothing to offer over an m4 for the price tag.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 10-06-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The rifle is equipped with a factory 10” barrel and sports an overall maximum length of 31.5” with the stock full extended. The minimum length is just 21” inches with the stock folded. This minimum length is THE reason why I like this rifle in this configuration; I’m simply not aware of another non-bullpup 5.56 mm platform that can get this small and stay ultra-reliable across a range of ammo shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed. Perhaps the CZ Bren and Sig MCX can give it a run for its money, but more time is needed to see if the MCX will meet the reliability criteria, IMHO.
    B&T APC556. SIG 553? H&K G36C! Robinson Arms XCR? AK74U? H&K HK53? Beretta ARX 100.

I heard awhile back that there would be a civilian release of the FNAC, who knows if it'll ever happen. For now, I'm just going to wait for the BREN 806/BREN 2, as the CZ is simply so much cheaper, and a foldable carbine is a tiny niche in my collection. I am surprised you haven't replaced those clunky 1913 rails for something slimmer, like the PMM M-LOK rail panels.

I really like my SCAR 17 but of course it is the more accurate version, the black one. Black SCARs matter.

double tap
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-06-2016 at 01:00 PM.

I have a Swiss 553 but it does not play nice with suppressors. I don't believe that the B&T APC 556 is available, and it is certainly nowhere near as vetted as the SCAR. The XCR is a piece of crap (I have one) and good luck getting manufacturer support. The Beretta ARX100's 10" barrels just came on line this year and are not vetted. The HK G36 platform has its own set of issues with heat aside from availability in the US.

As for the others, I'll have take you word that they are viable alternatives suppressed.

When it comes to aftermarket rails, patience young Grasshopper. Parts II and III are around the corner...

I have a Swiss 553 but it does not play nice with suppressors. I don't believe that the B&T APC 556 is available, and it is certainly nowhere near as vetted as the SCAR. The XCR is a piece of crap (I have one) and good luck getting manufacturer support. The Beretta ARX100's 10" barrels just came on line this year and are not vetted. The HK G36 platform has its own set of issues with heat aside from availability in the US.

As for the others, I'll have take you word that they are viable alternatives suppressed.
    I was just throwing out random rifles with folding stocks with at least some semblance of reliability (notice how I didn't put the ACR in the list?). I had thought that B&T had a can designed for the 553, though, so I'm surprised to hear it doesn't do well with your cans.

Which version of the XCR do you have? The new ones look interesting, emphasis on the look. I do find it fascinating how Robinson Arms has clung on to putting out that single-ish product, yet I've almost never heard it being mentioned anywhere.

And, ultimately, the SCAR platform will probably remain one of the most tested firearms in history, given its raison d'être.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I was just throwing out random rifles with folding stocks with at least some semblance of reliability (notice how I didn't put the ACR in the list?). I had thought that B&T had a can designed for the 553, though, so I'm surprised to hear it doesn't do well with your cans.

Which version of the XCR do you have? The new ones look interesting, emphasis on the look. I do find it fascinating how Robinson Arms has clung on to putting out that single-ish product, yet I've almost never heard it being mentioned anywhere.

And, ultimately, the SCAR platform will probably remain one of the most tested firearms in history, given its raison d'être.
    Part of the issue with the Sig 553 is barrel length. Many suppressor manufacturers warranty their cans down to 10 inches. I run Surefire, Knights, and SiCo Omega and they are all limited to 10" in 556 (actually Knights tests theirs down to 11.5" but stands behind their product if you are reasonable).

As for my XCR, I bought it in early 2008 as a gift to myself after a deployment to the sandbox. It did fine for 2,000 rounds or so, then I started having reliability issues with quality ammo. My firing pin went kaput at around 3,000 rounds. It took RA 6 months and a ton of calls to get a replacement. That lesson led to Sensei's Rule # 1: Don't buy firearms that have been out for less than 2 years. Better to let one's enemy be the beta tester...
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-06-2016 at 01:42 PM.

I've both 16 and 17 and haven't had any problems, other than crap getting caked on piston selector and it getting stuck for a bit. Did get an extended rail on 16, works OK. 16 proved reliable in conditions where AR failed under sub optimal maintenance. Nothing broke in the gun or on the gun so far. Really want 10 inch bbl for 16 to get a most compact non-bullpup setup but too lazy to deal with NFA.

I did have 1 breakage with a different SCAR 16S. My first SCAR that I purchased over 6 years ago arrived with broken stock latch. You might recall that this was an issue with how the early batches were shipped coupled with the plastic design of the latch. Apparently, the latch teeth would break during shipping if a sharp axial load was applied to the extended stock. At least, that is what FN told me when they replaced my first stock. I believe that Tango Down makes a metal latch that greatly reduces the likelihood of this problem.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-06-2016 at 10:18 PM.

User Tag List