Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We All Have Our SCARs - Part 1

We All Have Our SCARs - Part 1

I’ve long been a fan of the SCAR platform and feel that the SCAR 17S is on of the better .308 battle rifle platforms out there. When it comes to the SCAR 16S, I’ve often found myself feeling that the juice was not worth the squeeze over a much less expensive, high quality AR - unless we are talking SBRs. So, without further ado, here is my concept SCAR 16S CQC that I’ve built out over the past year:

Name:  SCAR 16S #4.jpg
Views: 7595
Size:  62.3 KB

The rifle is equipped with a factory 10” barrel and sports an overall maximum length of 31.5” with the stock full extended. The minimum length is just 21” inches with the stock folded. This minimum length is THE reason why I like this rifle in this configuration; I’m simply not aware of another non-bullpup 5.56 mm platform that can get this small and stay ultra-reliable across a range of ammo shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed. Perhaps the CZ Bren and Sig MCX can give it a run for its money, but more time is needed to see if the MCX will meet the reliability criteria, IMHO.

Now for the details:

Name:  SCAR 16S #9.jpg
Views: 3556
Size:  73.2 KB

One of the major SCAR deficiencies is the lack of factory quick release sling mounts. This was solved with the Kinetic Development Group (KDG) rear QD point and a GEAR Sector QD mount placed on the side rail just forward of the SF pressure switch. KDG does make an ambi front SCAR QD mount, but this does not leave much room if you plan on using an ATPAIL-C laser aiming module.

Lighting: I’m using a Surefire Mini Scout M300 controlled by a Surefire dual pressure switch that is also linked to the ATPAIL-C. For those of you looking for a similar FDE Scout light, forget it. Surefire stopped making them last year and I found the last one ever made - and paid out my ass for it. The light is mounted on a side rail using a Gear Sector Mini Mount which is another nice piece of kit.

IR Illumination: This is my only ATPAIL-C. I like it for its very low profile on the top rail and it is robust construction. However, it gives up a lot to the DBAL-A3 in terms of IR illumination brightness and the lack of a green visible laser option (my dog’s favorite toy).

Optics are the Aimpoint Micro with Tango Down cover and Larue mount. I have other mounts from Bobro and ADM that I prefer just a bit, but Larue is what I had on hand for this build and it does just fine.

The muzzle device is a SF Warcomp. As mentioned in the Knights thread, I’ve had zero accuracy issues on my SBRs, and it seems to do a very good job keeping muzzle rise to a minimum.

A word about mags. I’m normally a PMAG guy, but I’ve been running FDE Lancers in this almost exclusively. By now, most people know that Gen2 PMAGs need the “SCAR Modification” in order to keep from damaging the weapon’s bolt carrier. I simply don’t have the time or inclination to go back a modify a hundred or so PMAGs, so I figured that I’d give the Lancers a try. They require no modification and run great.

In terms of performance, I’ve put about 1,000 rounds though this gun. I recall 1 failure to feed while playing with the gas settings between normal and adverse. Outside of that 1 failure, it has run fine with my usual M193, M855, RA556B, and TAP SBR. That includes about 100 rounds fired with a SF 300 SPS suppressor and 200 rounds with a SOCOM 556 RC-2.

As for the downside, this is another costly rifle. SCAR 16S prices seem to fluctuate between $2200 and 2500 and I think we are in an upswing as FN tends to send them out in big batches followed by long dry spells. In addition, the 10” factory barrel will set you back $1K (I sold a kidney). There is the option of sending your barrel off to a Smith for a cut, and I’ll discuss that option in another SCAR threat in a few days.

Anyway, this is my build. I like it and it seems to work.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-05-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Hmmm... you said you sold "A" kidney, but not neccisatily YOUR kidney ;-)

Seriously - very nice. I love my 17S.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Hmmm... you said you sold "A" kidney, but not neccisatily YOUR kidney ;-)

He has a special set of skills.

I understood that the SCAR 17 was pretty tough on optics, except for robust ones. Is the 16S more forgiving? I run Aimpoint Micro's for the most part, but was contemplating something like your build with a low-power variable.

Interesting thread.

I put a good amount of ammo and effort into a SCAR 16, auto, 14", occasionally suppressed. It was as accurate as I can be, and reliable with any ammo or mags I used. I have no complaints, other than it never seemed to "fit" me quite right. Some of that is surely familiarity that would develop. Still, I think it's an odd, big-feeling gun. And a work in progress.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I'd love me a SCAR 17... I need to plant another money tree in the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'd love me a SCAR 17... I need to plant another money tree in the backyard.
    Actually you'd probably need two money trees. One to buy it and one to keep it fed.

Kidding aside, I would love to have one myself.

I need to hang out with Sensei some time.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Nice rifle Sensei!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Used a scar 16s extensively for a few years..
    Something like 40k rounds or so through it before I got rid of it and went back to an AR platform.

Just too many issues that need fixing .
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    He has a special set of skills.

I understood that the SCAR 17 was pretty tough on optics, except for robust ones. Is the 16S more forgiving? I run Aimpoint Micro's for the most part, but was contemplating something like your build with a low-power variable.

Interesting thread.
    I too generally run T1/2 micros. However, my next review will include a VCOG on a SCAR 16S. It has 3,800ish rounds in that configuration with no issues. I've also seen 16s run with ACOGs, Elcans, and Nightforce 1-4NXS and no rumors of optics failures. My guess is that sticking to a 1-4X from Nightforce, Trijicon, or a comparable company will serve you well.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-06-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List