Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At last! I can mount MOAR bayonets!

To be fair, they know they're armed with SA 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Come to find out, we had had a couple Scots Regiments (Black Watch, IIRC) come through.

Apparently the guys got bored on their exercises and started to chew on the browpads.

I swear I am not making this up.
    Which was probably considered an improvement on typical British cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Which was probably considered an improvement on typical British cooking.
    Thought it was haggis.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I've tasted haggis. My sweatband from my old Kevlar helmet tasted better.

But why did you taste the sweatband of your helmet? Unless of course it was to get the taste of haggis out of your mouth...

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    But why did you taste the sweatband of your helmet? Unless of course it was to get the taste of MRE Ham/Turkey Loaf out of your mouth...

FIFY.

I can't speak to the other services, but in the USMC, we still receive bayonet training at boot. It is also integrated throughout our MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) training. Some of the guys I talked to said they had bayonets mounted in Fallujah, and a couple of the other MOUT operations, but from what they said, didn't ever use them (people were either too far, or got inside the bayonets range and they had to transition to a regular knife.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Army reportedly dropped bayonet drill form basic back in 2010 or so. I deplored the move in a blog post at the time, which is part of why me and rifle-mounted pig-stickers have become a small running joke.

The news items I linked at the time have disappeared, but Time magazine does cite the Marine Corps' conduct of bayonet training in boot, in response to Obama bloviating about stuff he knows nothing about during one of the 2012 debates. (So, Does the Military Still Use Bayonets? | TIME.com)
    The WaPo version of that story does say the Army stopped bayonet drill in 2010. (Do troops still use bayonets? - The Washington Post)

Bayonet drill is an excellent tool for instilling esprit, and an aggressive fighting spirit without the troops actually going hands-on with each other, which can be an issue. (How many recruits do you want limping around, unable to do half of their training? Especially these days, when many of them use a treadmill to walk the dog?)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    The Army reportedly dropped bayonet drill form basic back in 2010 or so.
    That does sound like a stupid decision.

(Hm. Unlike my AK, my AR didn't come with a bayonet. I don't even know if one will fit. (16" Colt with Magpul MOE SL handguard.) All this talk of bayonets makes me want to get one and try. Because reasons. ) )

IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List