Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time in the fight.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Looking at Tom Givens' latest newsletter, his analysis of capacity struck me as useful. The idea is a good take on the caliber debate. He was talking about capacity and how long you could stay in the fight.

Assuming about 250 milliseconds between shots for the average person - a J frame keeps you in the fight for 1.25 seconds. An 8 shot 1911 for two seconds. A Glock 17 with 18 rounds (one chambered) is 4.5 seconds. That's a long time in a fight.

Given the lack of real differences in stopping power with modern rounds, that's telling.

If I misread it - sorry.
    I'll keep it brief and general, but that assumes you are pulling the trigger at your maximum cyclical rate. I do see this. People panic and fire as quick as they can until slide lock, sometimes after the first bullet did the job and sometimes for a lot of missing. I would counter with if the first quick hits didn't get the job done, it's time to slow down and start getting better hits. Easier said than done, of course, but it's where realistic training and stress inoculation come into play. Personality may come into it as well, the reason that two cops side by side on a stair well with equal views and equal circumstances may result in one guy firing 2 and one guy firing 9. There are folks out there who've ran through every mag they carry on more than one encounter, and guys who've gotten in done in three or less every time. That is NOT to say that one is without a doubt better than the other, different circumstances, distances, etc....however I tend to listen more to the guys who've gotten it done in fewer rounds.

There is certainly nothing wrong with more capacity, assuming you shoot it equally well...but bullets are bullets and time is time. Both need to be managed in their own way.

Everyone has their own view of these things but 9mm still has a valid claim on the sweet spot between effectiveness and capacity when used with proven ammo. (Not claiming to be a ballistics expert. Just expressing my own point of view.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Picture the situation of being out with young kids when the problem arises. You have one hand to control kids and one hand to run the gun. This makes capacity more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Very interesting, I agree it makes perfect sense to me. If I am forced to fight, and I can only hope that never hapens, I want the ability to stay in it and stop it on my terms. I am afraid the anti's, mag limit people don't see it that way, and neither do a large percentage of people that think that just because they have a gun, they are safe. I value their opinion about as much as they value mine.

If I carry a pistol with 15+ and end a fight using only three, there's no penalty for having ammo left over.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Picture the situation of being out with young kids when the problem arises. You have one hand to control kids and one hand to run the gun. This makes capacity more important.

...and how many people have trained this...?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I did, after walking through a sketchy parking garage at Harborview hospital with homeless drug addicts everywhere, holding a 3 year old's hand while carrying an infant and a diaper bag. I felt like an idiot at first, but I would hold one of my daughters large dolls and work on dry fire, mag changes etc. It was humbling.

Have used a small backpack with enough weight to simulate my child .A smaller bag of cat or dog food work as well.

Site Supporter
    Name:  baby - Copy.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  54.1 KB

At Givens. We've run baby, kid savior scenarios at matches every once in awhile. Note, throwing the baby quite a few feet to land behind cover was a penalty. Also, I have taken one handed, injured shooter classes.

The puff of hair out of my cap in the back, is a nice fashion touch.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 10-06-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Right here dude.

"There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List