Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to begin with a new shooter?

Site Supporter

How to begin with a new shooter?

It is quite possible that within the next few days I will have the privilege of introducing a young lady to shooting. She comes from a European country, and she has, as far as I know, absolutely no experience with firearms whatsoever. I would like to know what you all think I should include in what will likely be a one or two hour range session. Here are my initial thoughts:

> Safety rules

> Basic marksmanship with semiautomatic, lightweight, red dot sighted, adjustable LOP .22 rifle (grip, stance, cheek weld, trigger control, breathing)

> Basic marksmanship with ruger mark 2 (black on black notch and post sights, very light trigger)

After this, we could move up to a Glock 17, if she wants to.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

I started my children out with an air rifle.
    They shot my Ruger 10/22 fairly soon after that but it was single loaded for a while.
    Might be something to consider.

I started on an air rifle as well. A single shot action helps you focus on the fundamentals, instead of just pulling the trigger again when you screw up.

Start her off with prone or benchrest, that will eliminate some variables and help her focus on the fundamentals.

Also, iron sights are good to start with. They help correct cheek weld problems and focus.

I'm assuming you're using a 22 AR given the adjustable LOP.

Keep her goals in mind. The above advice is based on the assumption that she actually wants to learn to shoot. If she just wants to have fun, the fundamentals are still important. It's not much fun if you can't hit anything.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys.

An air rifle is a good idea, but I don't have a suitable one.

The rifle is a heavily modified (for light weight and compactness) Ruger 10/22, and it has no iron sights. I'm thinking that a rifle would be easier to start with than a pistol, but I also agree that starting with irons is a good idea. I also have a single shot .22 rifle with irons, though, so maybe I'll have her use that at first.

Starting off on the bench is another idea I hadn't thought of (principally because I hardly ever shoot that way), but it does make sense. The added steadiness will help her see accurate results on paper early, and boost confidence. Then she can move on to standing.

I'm thinking of starting off with paper targets, and then switching to clay pigeons as her accuracy gets better.

Practice as many things as possible before you get to the range where so much will be new to her. It is harder to hear and there are many distractions. Much easier to teach while the student can hear and focus.

I agree, take as much "classroom" time as you need to get the safety rules and basic gun manipulation down. It also helps to explain the policies, rules, procedures, range commands of the range that you are going to. And, this more important for an indoor range, foam plugs under muffs (electronic muffs are ideal) you might just me shooting a .22 but the guy two stalls over with a snubby .357 or .50bmg can really disturb a new shooter.

We are diminished
    Not to sound snide, but step one should be "get instructor credentials." While the NRA programs have become so big and profitable that lots of people walk away with no real qualifications except the paper NRA gives them, the instructor courses themselves really are worthwhile for folks who want to learn and take the lessons to heart.

Beyond that, some things I would definitely keep in mind:

• Watch the shooter carefully for safety issues. This is the #1 job of the instructor with a first time shooter. Muzzle in a safe direction always. Finger never on the trigger when talking or thinking or anything other than pulling the trigger. Etc.
    • Correct big things and get them right before worrying about little things. Someone leaning way back and closing her eyes before she pulls the trigger each time doesn't need a dissertation on how much finger should be through the trigger guard or whether her feet are in the perfect place.
    • Load the gun with only one round at a time until she is clearly comfortable with it. Repeat this for each new gun. That way, if she gets excited or scared, if the spins around or drops the gun, it's empty.
    • New shooters enjoy fun more than anything. If your range allows it, bring some balloons or falling steel targets. Shoot-n-See (or whatever they're called) targets are a decent second choice. Don't create tension or challenges that are beyond her ability to achieve on her first day with minimal instruction. You can't make her a marksman in a few hours so instead try to instill a desire to become one.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Beyond that, some things I would definitely keep in mind:

• Watch the shooter carefully for safety issues. This is the #1 job of the instructor with a first time shooter. Muzzle in a safe direction always. Finger never on the trigger when talking or thinking or anything other than pulling the trigger. Etc.
    • Correct big things and get them right before worrying about little things. Someone leaning way back and closing her eyes before she pulls the trigger each time doesn't need a dissertation on how much finger should be through the trigger guard or whether her feet are in the perfect place.
    • Load the gun with only one round at a time until she is clearly comfortable with it. Repeat this for each new gun. That way, if she gets excited or scared, if the spins around or drops the gun, it's empty.
    • New shooters enjoy fun more than anything. If your range allows it, bring some balloons or falling steel targets. Shoot-n-See (or whatever they're called) targets are a decent second choice. Don't create tension or challenges that are beyond her ability to achieve on her first day with minimal instruction. You can't make her a marksman in a few hours so instead try to instill a desire to become one.
    The ONE SHELL per shot is a very good idea in a brand new shooter who may become excited when first starting out. This will better assure that nobody gets hurt. As soon as you are comfortable with their safety, then progress to multiple rounds.

When I teach newbies, I generally start them out on a BLUE GUN (or an empty air pistol) prior to getting to the range. I show them the basics of holding the pistol and moving the pistol from point A to point B.

When the shooting commences, I stand directly behind them within arms reach so that I can stop any dangerous moves prior to the danger. I inform them that I will be back there and that I may touch them on the shoulder to give them advice. I focus FIRST and FOREMOST on the safety aspect. I put the pistol target at 10 feet to start and progress outward from there. I like using the SHOOT-N-SEE targets so that the 0.22 rounds show nice and bright. It helps their confidence.

I have taught a lot of women new to the art and they tend to get excited, yet are also very cautious with the weapon because it tends to frighten them a bit.

I would consider doing less in the way of marksmanship. If it's the only time she's ever going to shoot a gun, then I wouldn't want to make it a lesson that takes all the fun out of it with her feeling she needs to be making a standard or working on something. There's nothing wrong with going over safety, supervising her, and letting her blast away with a minimum on how the proper way to shoot accurately. I'd want to make sure it's (1) Safe and then (2) fun. Don't make it unfun with making it a lesson. Are you there to show her some fun, or to build a rifleman? What does SHE want to do?

Also, check out The Cornered Cat section on teaching others to shoot.

IME, I've helped 2 ladies on the range. One is an competitive ultra-marathoner friend that wanted to get good...so when we shot together I was always showing her something new every couple mags to make small, incremental, and realistic improvements over a 2 hour session. This was fun to her, because she has her own gun and is coming out to shoot and get better again and again. Shoots aluminum framed 4" 1911's, Beretta PX4's, .357's, everything and anything.

The second girl was a girlfriend. She just wanted to go shoot and see what it's like. I started her off with my S&W 19 with light .38 loads. At home, I showed her the gun and how to unload/load it, and also what the sights are and how they work. I went over safety with her, as well. At the range I showed her how a range works, went over safety again, rehashed how to hold the gun without hurting herself, and did the 1 shell at a time thing at the advice of the Cornered Cat. Then, I let her load it up and blast away while I supervised. She didn't need to know anything beyond what a sight picture looks like and how to safely shoot. She didn't need to know anything about stances, weaver vs isosceles, ect. She just wanted to see what a gun felt like when it goes bang and check out what this whole shooting thing is about. There's no reason to make incremental improvements and turn it into a lesson on how it should be done.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-19-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

I like these points. Emphasis added by me.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List