Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2016

Well. 11pm update is tracking a little west.

Parts of S Florida and Okeechobee are under Warning for Hurricane force winds.

Concern for son/daughter in Coral Gables and their five kids. Talked to them today but not sure they have a plan.

Need to contact brother in Melbourne and check in.

Still think we will miss most of high winds but going to be very windy Thursday.

Y'all in the path of this storm, be safe.

I have a bad feeling about this one.

My folks should be alright- they're smack dab in the middle of the middle.
    Dad's not going to be happy about missing a few golf days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Well. 11pm update is tracking a little west.

Parts of S Florida and Okeechobee are under Warning for Hurricane force winds.

Concern for son/daughter in Coral Gables and their five kids. Talked to them today but not sure they have a plan.

Need to contact brother in Melbourne and check in.

Still think we will miss most of high winds but going to be very windy Thursday.

Y'all in the path of this storm, be safe.

I have a bad feeling about this one.
    It looks like Coral Gables will be OK. Melbourne, maybe. In between it's going to rip us a new ass. The current track brings the center of the storm within 10 miles of the coast here. If you're in the path, take it seriously.

PS-On a somewhat lighter note, the timing on this storm couldn't be worse. My beloved Cleveland Indians are in the playoffs for the first time since '07 and we'll be lucky to have power back before the World Series is over.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

It's just some wind and rain, what's the worse that could happen?

Yes, I was in Florida in 2004.

Storm surge will be an issue with the tides. It will all depend on when it wants to come on shore or not.
    My concerns are power outages due to downed power lines. There's a lot of overgrowth in my area that will likely put me out for a week if we get a full hit or hurricane force winds for an extended period of time.

Tides for Cape Canaveral starting with October 6, 2016.

Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
    Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Th 6 Low 5:17 AM 1.1 7:18 AM Rise 11:59 AM 19
    6 High 11:41 AM 4.2 7:02 PM Set 11:00 PM
    6 Low 5:44 PM 1.6
    6 High 11:48 PM 4.0

F 7 Low 6:00 AM 1.3 7:19 AM Rise 12:50 PM 27
    7 High 12:28 PM 4.2 7:01 PM Set 11:47 PM
    7 Low 6:32 PM 1.7

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    It's just some wind and rain, what's the worse that could happen?

Yes, I was in Florida in 2004.
    Yeah, that was not a fun year. We got Charley through Orlando (Winter Springs). I had a five figure damage to my pool enclosure (covered by insurance) as well as roof damage (also covered.) Charley was what, a $15B storm?

We lost power for a good week as I recall. I had bought a Honda 2 kW generator earlier in the year that saved our bacon. We ran it to the fridge as well as one room AC in one of the back bedrooms so we could sleep at least.

Man that sucked.

Still. It was nice to see good in folks come out. Most traffic signals were out, and it was amazing to see how well they worked, even with heavy traffic. People just took turns. Most of the busier intersections had cops directing. It was great to see people slowly pass through the intersection, roll down the window, and pass the hard-working LEO a cold Gatorade. I know I had couple six packs I gave out.

Checking the 8AM update on Matthew, the path is not changed much. The storm will pick up rotational speed over the warm Bahamas. Looks like Melbourne or Titusville are most in danger of a direct hit.

I was over in Lutz, after Francis we were without power for like 2 weeks. I was a poor college student, so I didn't have money for a generator...only beer & ice. I remember in December '04 flying to DC for a job interview; I departed TPA but came back through MCO. The amount of blue tarps covering the roofs on all the houses in the Orlando area was shocking.

I work in Orlando at the airport, many of the guys I work with who live on the coast are taking the next 2 days off to get everything buttoned down at home. "Officially" my company won't make a decision to cease operations until noon tomorrow. I'm surprised none of the schools have made a decision to close, as they're normally turned into shelters.

Thoughts and prayers to all those who are going to be affected by this. Y'all stay safe. I'd bet we've all been in this situation before. I'm in SC (family near-ish to the coast - I'm in the middle of our state) so I'm kinda in it with you.

The full-on freak out hasn't hit here yet, but I'd bet big bucks that'll happen tomorrow. Local news is essentially saying "get your prep-work done now". State Governor is doing mandatory evacuation of our coastal cities. Schools inland are closed Wednesday through Friday so they can be used as shelters. Gas prices spiked overnight....bastards.

This isn't my first rodeo and I'm far enough inland that we'll likely only get winds, rain and (maybe) some power outages. I'm as ready as I can be for whatever.

Slainte!

I'm in inland Collier County, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to install the hurricane shutters or not this evening. I have friends in Broward, and they are hunkering down.
    I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

Site Supporter
    Wife made it to Savannah today from north GA and picked up my dad and is in route back north. Bonus is stopping at my son and DIL house in middle GA so my dad can see his great-granddaughter. I noticed today there is more traffic and increased business at hotels and restaurants along highways in Atlanta with those avoiding the storm.

I'm currently on vacation with the wife, father-in-law and his girlfriend on Sanibel Island. Supposed to stay here until Sunday. Will make the decision tomorrow if we stay or go. This evening we went for a walk on the beach during which I met at least 20 people who just arrived on Sanibel Island as a place to escape the hurricane from the east.

My son is currently a recruit at Paris Island. Found out today that the Commanding General of MCRD Paris Island ordered an evacuation. Moving 6,000 recruits to a Logistics base in Albany Georgia.

I read on the news that the Marine Corps is evacuation Camp Lejeune and the Ana y is doing the same for Norfolk.

User Tag List