Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2016

Hurricane Season 2016

Well, another Hurricane Season is on us in Florida.

We're at the Cottage in Clearwater for the winter, but keeping an eye on the tropics.

The latest storm is Matthew, currently sitting over Haiti and headed north, possibly skirting Florida on it's way up the Eastern Seaboard.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl

So far we have no plans to evacuate, just the usual stuff we do a day or so ahead (fill truck with fuel, make sure we know where the important papers are, locate the dog food. )

Both Mrs. J and I have been through a few of these over the years, and we know there is no need to stay home in the event of. If they say go, you go. The problem we usually see is that folks see the cone and don't realize Hurricane or Tropical Storm force winds can extend many miles from the eye.

We are ready to drive over to attach the RV and move out, but don't see a need, at the moment.

But seriously, if any are in the path of this storm, our prayers are with you. The Storm Surge on these big monster (Matthew is currently a Cat 4, which is a 145 mph storm) systems is very significant.

Hope all on the path are ok.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  93.8 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 10-04-2016 at 05:32 PM.

This hurricane looks to do some serious damage to the eastern coast of the USA. I really hope it shifts eastward and spares that highly populated area of the country the worst.

Cleawater? Dude, I'm in that pink warning zone on the east coast. Unless a meteorological miracle occurs we will get hit, it's just a matter of how hard. I'm really, really hoping that the hurricane force winds stay just offshore.

Until Thursday, people are in that wonderful pre-hurricane FREAK-THE-FUCK-OUT mode here. Poor dumb bastards don't realize that surviving the storm is the easy part. It's not having electricity until November that's going to suck.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

We're just west of Orlando, hoping for the best. At the least it's gonna be a wet sumbitch.

I work for Alabama power and there is a lot of buzz about this storm. I was told today I might have to go to GA tomorrow and drive some trucks back to ATL to get away from the coast. Hoping she turns out to sea.
    i used to wannabe

am I the only one that thinks Matthew going all roid rage on Manhattan would be a good thing?

also, I can't find any details. how big is Matthew. Size is a big factor, as Sandy proved (powerful? she wasn't. The size of 10 fat chicks in a trailer park, she was.)
    Last edited by hufnagel; 10-04-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I live north of Atlanta now but Savannah was home and my elderly dad still lives there. Wife headed to Savannah tomorrow to get him and bring him north for a few days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post

also, I can't find any details. how big is Matthew. Size is a big factor, as Sandy proved (powerful? she wasn't. The size of 10 fat chicks in a trailer park, she was.)
    145 mph storm can cover the State of Florida, with quite a bit left over on either side.

One I recall was Gilbert, in the 90s. I was on a Cruise ship, 100s of miles away and we got tossed around like a leaf.

I'll try and go locate some sat photos.

based on that image, I estimate 500 miles diameter.
    (image is hyperlinked to article.)
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

^^^ Pretty much what I found.

Even if the eye does not make landfall, the storm surge as well as Tropical Storm force winds extend over huge swaths.

User Tag List