Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I guess I'm too paranoid about a squib or double charge. I can do about 100 rounds per hour with a Lyman turret press. I'm going way to slow. How can I speed it up? I currently do the following in batches: clean, resize/deprime, prime with lee handprimer, expand, put powder in cases, seat bullet and then crimp.

I'm not making good use of the turret press.
    A turret isn't as fast as a progressive. You can use it a couple of ways: batch work, like what you are doing, or you can go for efficiency. That means, handle the case fewer times. If you have an expansion die that you can put the powder charge through, you only have to directly handle the case when you put it in the shell holder and when you take it out as a complete round.

I'm not completely convinced that is always faster, though.

<- reloads on a Redding T7.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Where are some good places to order powder, primers, etc.?

Thanks.
    Like mentioned above, powder valley inc.

Also, cabelas will sometimes have reduced shipping on certain items like primers, or powder if you order a certain amount.

Wideners for powder and primers as well.

Bullets - a lot of places. I like and casting and their coated bullets, but if you're ok with lead bullets summers enterprises has the best prices on bullets I've seen. I shot one box of their 180 ft in 40 and they were fine.

Jacketed bullets- roze dist, American reloading, Montana gold, etc. for bullets, there are tons of good Bullet sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    How many months, rounds & calibers of reloading experience do you have again?
    About three months, 10k rds, and three but it took hours of SLG's and JV's time to get this idiot that far
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    How many months, rounds & calibers of reloading experience do you have again?
    34 years, .380, 9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357, .44, .223, 5.56, .243, 30-06, 22-250, .22 Remington Jet, 12ga, .410. Perhaps 200k rounds, many of those hand cast. Good times were had by all. And I'm still learning.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

The only regrets I have ever had with my reloading presses was not going bigger earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    In response to an earlier question from you- the budget range is around $1,200. This is everything out the door- but I could go a bit higher if I needed to. I was thinking - 550 or 650 as I want to only buy once. However- I cannot disagree with your comment about learning on a single stage press. If you were to recommend one or two for me to compare- I would be grateful. The Dillon website makes it pretty easy.
    If you're going to get a Dillon anyway, get the 650, since you'll want to upgrade to it eventually. Bear in mind that most of the production times people have quoted include actual handle-pulling time but not the time it takes to fill primer tubes, etc. Once you add in those times, production figures can drop sharply.

As for the single-stage press, most gun shops worthy of the name will have a used RCBS Rock Chucker gathering dust for under $50. You'll need a shell holder and maybe a priming arm. I'd also get a powder measure, since you won't have one built in like the Dillon has. A measure with a micrometer adjustment is nice, but the RCBS Little Dandy will do just fine if you get a couple of extra rotors. You should be around $100 for all of this stuff if you can find some of it used.

Also, bear in mind that your first press is a gateway tool. Once you realize the versatility that you can get out of a firearm by handloading, you'll be looking at all kinds of new gear because you can reload for it.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 10-06-2016 at 10:16 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'll second the used single stage press idea. My first real press was used (RCBS Rockchucker Jr?), and I'm still using it 35 or so years later. I bought a spare to leave at relatives house that I visit, and I tend to buy spare RCBS die sets in calibers I can use, or that I'll need the extra dies when used on the Dillon. I don't have much in any of them. Ive also bought several Lyman powder measures for $35-$40 each, and wouldnt pass up a spare RCBS measure if priced right. Also ended up with 2 scales, so I can leave one with the spare setup at the relatives. I'm also a Lyman 310 addict and bullet mold addict. Even with a Dillon, I use the single stage press a fair amount. Its not always about highest volume, though I don't tend to run the 550 at top speed, preferring to be extra sure of every charge and step along the way. 300/hr is about my par with the 550 when its all set up.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-06-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I'll second the used single stage press idea. My first real press was used (RCBS Rockchucker Jr?), and I'm still using it 35 or so years later. I bought a spare to leave at relatives house that I visit, and I tend to buy spare RCBS die sets in calibers I can use, or that I'll need the extra dies when used on the Dillon. I don't have much in any of them. Ive also bought several Lyman powder measures for $35-$40 each, and wouldnt pass up a spare RCBS measure if priced right. Also ended up with 2 scales, so I can leave one with the spare setup at the relatives. I'm also a Lyman 310 addict and bullet mold addict. Even with a Dillon, I use the single stage press a fair amount. Its not always about highest volume, though I don't tend to run the 550 at top speed, preferring to be extra sure of every charge and step along the way. 300/hr is about my par with the 550 when its all set up.
    I got pretty deeply into casting back when I was in my 5-shot 45 Colt phase. I had some really nice LBT moulds and killed some deer with bullets from them, but casting took up as much time as reloading and I had to prioritize, so it got dropped. Some of the most accurate ammo I've ever loaded used those bullets...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I started casting before the bullets I liked and used were easily available commercially, and to save money. I don't cast much any more, though have accumulated a number of molds I want to try. As much as anything, I like the feeling of having a pile of molds and a few 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights around for backup.

My casting was mostly on a coleman campstove with Lyman lead pot. I'm going to get a good bottom pour furnace to speed things up when I get back to casting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I started casting before the bullets I liked and used were easily available commercially, and to save money. I don't cast much any more, though have accumulated a number of molds I want to try. As much as anything, I like the feeling of having a pile of molds and a few 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights around for backup.

My casting was mostly on a coleman campstove with Lyman lead pot. I'm going to get a good bottom pour furnace to speed things up when I get back to casting again.
    Don't get me started....

Okie John

User Tag List