Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

No brainer - reloading, control your destiny.

Thank you to everyone who sent feedback today- needless to say- I checked my phone a few hundred times at work.

I agree that reloading in the long run makes the most sense. I have looked into the Dillon 550 and it seems to be highly recommended.

I will search other threads for input- but if someone can give the items I need on this thread it will save some work.

As an FYI- I only shoot 9mm and 5.56/.223- which means that is all I will reload. I want to learn for 6 months or so by doing the 9mm.

Any advice on what I need? Since I will only do the 2 calibers is the 550 best idea for me.

I had thought about starting on a single stage, but don't want to go out spend that money- then six months later buy another press. However- that may be my best route.

Thank all of you for your guidance.

I recommend spending extra for a Dillon 650 for 9mm, and not reloading 5.56.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I would have to agree with that. You might even consider a quality AR-9 for practice.. By the time you go through all of the expense of loading 223 you would been better off with the AR-9 and buying any 223 you need to.

My 9 mm reloading investments paid them selves off quickly but I am sir I am still in the hole on 223. Then again, I mostly shoot 9mm in practice.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 10-04-2016 at 06:07 PM.

I'm sure I will get flak for this but most of the double charges I hear about on the Interwebz are from loading with a Dillon 550. I am sure it is rare, but it was one of the reasons I grabbed a 650 so I can have space for a powdercheck and not obsess over it. YMMV.
    Last edited by FPS; 10-04-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Which is what starts the panic.
    That would be other people's panic.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I'm sure I will get flak for this but most of the double charges I hear about on the Interwebz are from loading with a Dillon 550. I am sure it is rare, but it was one of the reasons I grabbed a 650 so I can have space for a powdercheck and not obsess over it. YMMV.
    Agreed 100%. For 9mm with a bulky Powder such as Unique it is easy to visually check. In a longer case such as .38 special or 5.56 I would strongly advise against the 550. Since the 650 auto indexes, it makes it harder to double charge, not impossible though. Depending on one's mechanical aptitude a new reloader may want to start with a single stage or turret press just to learn the steps. If they don't take to reloading they are not out much. If they want to increase output, they can move onto a progressive.
    Taking a break from social media.

I started with a Lee Classic Turret and moved into the 650 after a year and a half and very glad I did that. I still use the Turret on lower volume calibers and for single stage tasks, works great for me.

Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

Good post. Double charges are pretty rare in 9mm, but will ruin your day for sure.

Zero charges are much more common. A RCBS lockout die will prevent both.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-04-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Agreed 100%. For 9mm with a bulky Powder such as Unique it is easy to visually check. In a longer case such as .38 special or 5.56 I would strongly advise against the 550. Since the 650 auto indexes, it makes it harder to double charge, not impossible though. Depending on one's mechanical aptitude a new reloader may want to start with a single stage or turret press just to learn the steps. If they don't take to reloading they are not out much. If they want to increase output, they can move onto a progressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good post. Double charges are pretty rare in 9mm, but will ruin your day for sure.

Zero charges are much more common. A RCBS lockout die will prevent both.
    Agreed with all of you. The only thing I'll add is that the Hornady LnL AP is another good 650-like option. It's also a 5-station autoindexing progressive press, and it's about the price of the Dillon 550. Regarding the RCBS lockout die, I personally went with the Hornady Powder Cop die, but either will do the job and provide a significant measure of peace of mind.

User Tag List