Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

Do you like to work with your hands? My vote is reloader but you have to be prepared for a learning process. Personally, I quite enjoy my reloading journey so far and am grateful for the opportunity. Nothing better than firing up some Archer or UFC and making some ammo.
    #RESIST

Reloading gear. Being able to make ammo is a big deal to me. I also buy odd bullet molds when I find them at gunshows, even if I don't have an immediate need or desire to cast. Have found some interesting and actually useful molds that way.

Reloading is interesting and fun to me. In the past, it was a big part of enjoying shooting. Even if its sitting gathering dust for the time being, I like having whats required to make ammo.

I know I'm being negative but if I was looking at getting into reloading in October 2016, the first things I would buy would be primers and powder in order to be panic proof in case of bad news in November. as a panic will destroy reloading supplies stocks but reloading equipment per se will still be around during a panic. I'm practicing what I preach, too.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I know I'm being negative but if I was looking at getting into reloading in October 2016, the first things I would buy would be primers and powder in order to be panic proof in case of bad news in November. as a panic will destroy reloading supplies stocks but reloading equipment per se will still be around during a panic. I'm practicing what I preach, too.
    Very good point.

Very much this. Folks tend to snap up components first. $30 here, $50 there is a smaller commitment than several hundred for a press. Grab the low hanging fruit while it's plentiful.

ETA: Even if all you end up with is components, you probably know someone with the means of production.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 10-04-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I would buy would be primers and powder in order to be panic proof
    Which is what starts the panic.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Which is what starts the panic.
    Well, if purchasing four 8lb kegs and a few thousand primers starts a panic, then it was a good idea to beat everyone else to the punch
    #RESIST

Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

I sold a prelock s&w 357 to fund my Dillon.

That's about the only gun I have no sellers remorse about.

Also, if funds won't allow a Dillon, a Lee classic turret is a great machine, that's extremely affordable and versatile.

My Dillon is set up for 9mm, and I have turret heads for 357 and 41 for the Lee. If you switch calibers often, and don't shoot a whole lot for one particular caliber, the Lee might be the better choice. With practice, you can load 200 rds per hour on the Lee (though I usually hit around 150)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richiecotite; 10-04-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Well, if purchasing four 8lb kegs and a few thousand primers starts a panic, then it was a good idea to beat everyone else to the punch
    Seems well within reason to me. I've got a full and a partial 4-pounder of N320 sitting on my bench, along with a nearly full pound of CFE-Pistol and a half or third of a pound of Unique. N320 is the primary, and I figure when I have to open the full one, it'll be time to start looking to buy another 8 pounds. Worst case, if availability becomes a problem, 4 pounds of N320 lasts me a pretty good amount of time, and I've got the CFE-P and Unique as a backup if I need them. You're better stocked, but I'd hardly call you a hoarder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I *like* reloading. I find it relaxing. I use an old turret press, nothing high-speed, and just sit and crank out rounds. If you find you enjoy the process, the savings and ability to shoot more is just a bonus. If you don't enjoy it, and you find it a chore, then perhaps instead of a new pistol or reloading press, a few cases of ammo would be the best option. Depending on how much you shoot and how much "chore time" you're willing to put up with.
    I am another who enjoys the process of reloading. If you shoot a lot of revolver, the savings of reload v. factory can be substantial. My component cost for .38 special is about $5.50 per fifty. The same fifty factory rounds locally cost about $18-$20.

User Tag List