Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

Ok- I am in a rare situation where there is money burning a hole in my pocket!

I had been thinking about picking up a new pistol, but already own four- two of which I swap for ccw depending on the season.

You can only shoot one at a time- so this got me to thinking.........

One of the main stumbling blocks to shooting more is the cost of the ammunition.

Looking for the communities thoughts- new pistol or a Dillon 550 reloader.........???
    After the initial set up- if I save my spent brass is the reloading equipment really a money saver? I don't mind spending the time if there is a savings.

Thanks!

How much do you shoot? If I only shot a couple hundred a month I might not fool with it. I sometimes shoot 2k a month so I basically have to reload. If I was rich I'd never reload.

Another thing to consider is a possible ammo drought, if you buy a press and 8 pounds of powder and the consumables to go with that then you could be set for a while.

Don't forget about the things that go with a press; a way to wash brass, scale, set of calipers.. ect.

I don't know the exact amount, mostly because I don't care, but I'm around $5 per 50. Definitely cheaper.
    Last edited by Luke; 10-04-2016 at 07:08 AM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    After the initial set up- if I save my spent brass is the reloading equipment really a money saver? I don't mind spending the time if there is a savings.
    No, but you can tell your wife that if you want.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In theory there is savings. In reality I get to shoot more.

Go for the reloading set up. You have guns that are useless without ammo. As previously stated, you don't save money, you shoot more. Buy the 550 and balance the purchase of powder and primers. Meaning one doesn't work without the other. For example my current load uses 4.9 gr of Unique. There are 7000 gr per pound. So a good starting point is 3 lbs and 4K primers, if you want a balanced supply. As a side note my component cost is about $6 for 50 rds of 9mm. When I can buy factory for $13 or so, I do. I only consume my stock when times are lean. I believe we are approaching very lean times.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 10-04-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Cheapest junk 9mm you can buy is usually around $10/50 rounds. I reload for around $13/100 rounds. As others have said, cost savings are not the only factor; it's a lot easier to weather shortages if you reload, plus you get to tailor your load to your gun(s). One piece of advice, though: when you buy components, do it in bulk - the pricing is WAY better that way. Buy powder in 4 or 8 pound jugs, buy bullets by the 3000+ round case, etc. When you buy powder online, buy primers at the same time, and buy as much as you can afford, so you spread the hazmat shipping fee around. The individual purchases seem big (a case of coated bullets will run you ~$250, for example), but it's a lot better than buying 500 rounds at a time.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I *like* reloading. I find it relaxing. I use an old turret press, nothing high-speed, and just sit and crank out rounds. If you find you enjoy the process, the savings and ability to shoot more is just a bonus. If you don't enjoy it, and you find it a chore, then perhaps instead of a new pistol or reloading press, a few cases of ammo would be the best option. Depending on how much you shoot and how much "chore time" you're willing to put up with.

Reloading equipment definitely. It will sort of save money in the long run but it will take a lot of 9mm to make up for the cost. 9mm is not a huge money saver. Now, get into the more expensive calibers and it becomes a no-brainer.

The logic is pretty straightforward: if all your guns are worn out, you shoot enough, and need a new pistol. If all your guns are not worn out, you aren't shooting enough, and need more ammo.

How much money are we talking?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List