Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

I heard a really good podcast on triangle tactical about sorting brass by headstamp. He did some testing and while there was a difference it was small and he determined it wasn't worth the time for small increases in accuracy.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I suppose if you were really worried about making Power Factor at a match, sorting could reduce differences in velocity. I prefer to shoot a hot enough load that I'm safely above min PF no matter what.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I heard a really good podcast on triangle tactical about sorting brass by headstamp. He did some testing and while there was a difference it was small and he determined it wasn't worth the time for small increases in accuracy.
    I sort for full-power loads but not for lighter practice loads.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Did you sort by headstamp?
    My process is a little obnoxious, but it is what works best for my specific goals, (excessive) equipment and match ammo requirements. I hate stoppages when loading and go to trouble to avoid this. My goal is major match, competition quality ammo from crappy but free mixed range brass, and I want to get it done as quickly as possible. Vastly simpler, cheaper (and slower) processes are viable.

I sort by caliber and run a magnet across it. This particular batch of 9mm was chock full of coated steel cases that were visually indistinguishable from brass cases.

Then I clean / dry as seen before.

Next step is to pour into a 100 round 40 MTM case and visually remove all 380, 38 super & super comp, dinged case mouths, obstructed cases, Berdan primed cases, etc. Basically things that cause the Mark 7 automated 1050 reloading process to have problems. Once I have all 9mm brass, I'll pour the cases between my hands listening for the tinny ring of split cases.

Then I run them through an automated pre-processing step - size/decap/swage. I'm current using a Lee U-Die to minimize case gauge failures. I just got operational at 2400 RPH (Rounds Per Hour).

Then loading. I'm routinely checking for OAL, crimp, primers, etc. 20 throw powder averages before and usually after a session for confirmation of no charge drift - if I remember. A Dillon RF 100 small primer filler will be here soon. Yea!

Then visual QC of loaded cases looking for splits, curled case mouths, anything not right. Then case gauging 100 at a time using a Hundo case gauge. I verify primers are seated properly by eye and by feel. Cases that fall freely from the inverted case gauge I consider to be match quality. Failures go into the practice ammo bin.

The resulting ammo is extremely reliable and consistent - even with mixed range brass from matches (e.g. 9 major brass) and open ranges.

I like to blow in to my shop, load 1000 rounds of competition quality ammo soup-to-nutz @ 1800 RPH and blow out to do something else more productive like dry fire.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 10-07-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks again to all for the advice. My Dillon 650 arrives on Thursday!!!

User Tag List