Thread: New SBR Hotness.

New SBR Hotness.

Yeah, the name's a bit tongue in cheek, but this rifle is all business. About a year ago I had to make some financial cutbacks and that included selling my only non-NFA AR. Earlier this year, I decided having a MK18 SBR as my only AR wasn't a situation I wanted to stay in, and with the DD MK18 rail shortage, they started bringing stupid money, so I sold my upper and financed a non-NFA Colt OEM-based build (you can find it in this forum) centered around a Colt SOCOM barrel. Since then, I've really enjoyed shooting that rifle and found the SOCOM barrel to be excellent. Of course, having a registered SBR lower (Factory DD no less) just sitting in the safe began to create an itch. Right before 41F went into effect, I decided to sell my NFA Benelli M1 and used the proceeds to build another SBR upper. Initially I wanted to go with the reportedly excellent Sionics 11.5 and I was very interested in their Robar BCG. However, as time went on I decided to go 10.3 again to make a more handy suppressed package.

I chose to base the build around a Colt SOCOM barrel again for a few reasons:
    1. I had good success with the one on my non-NFA build.
    2. I could control the gas port by starting with the .063 on the Colt barrel and having it opened to .070.
    3. The heavier profile should be better with the suppressor.

So I began to acquire parts. Here's the list:
    Colt M4 upper receiver (6920 takeoff)
    Colt BCG (6920 takeoff)
    Colt charging handle (6920 takeoff)
    Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel, cut to 10.3" and gas port opened to .070 by ADCO
    FSB chop and grind
    Geissele MK4 9.5 in rail, mod 1, Sand color

Other accessories:
    AAC M4-2000
    AAC 51-T Flashhider mount
    DD fixed front sight
    MBUS Pro rear sight
    Tan Surefire X300U
    Aimpoint T1, 2MOA in Larue LT660, KAC battery cover/storage, Kickstarter OG IO cover.

Compared to my MK18, the Geissele rail is lighter and has integral sling QD's for more weight savings.

Future plans include changing the stock to a Magpul CTR, grip to a Bravo, enhanced trigger guard, and a Geissele SD-E trigger. Got to save up some more money, though.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I would be curious to hear how the Adco cut worked out...

I SBRed a 6920, and while the stamp is in, I have not purchased a new upper. Would love to just use the colt barrel cut down to 11.5" like a home made 6933.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Meaning does it run? It does. Not 100% thrilled with the length. I requested 10.3" and it's more like 10.45". At the end of the day though, .15" is not a huge deal. Threads are nice amd clean.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List