Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Marines opt for the 9 mil over 45s for special operators.

Quote Originally Posted by 172driver View Post
    I seem to recall DEA was one of the first federal law enforcement agencies to adopt the Glock.

I'm more surprised to learn that they're still buying AR barrels from Rock River Arms???
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Well, he's alluding to that because there are several cities around the US that have actually exhibited people needing to use an AR15 to defend themselves and their homes and/or businesses (Ferguson, NC, etc.). So while randomly stating that you might have to "assault a fool" might sound wacky without context, it's really not. Considering that if either of the two "front runners" in this year's election actually make it into office, stuff might very well start getting hairier. People also seem to forget that the Founding Fathers started a revolution over far less shenanigans than what we're currently seeing today. I think the American people have gotten complacent and are slowly accepting more and more of the shenanigans that we see as "the norm" and any deviations from not accepting that "norm" are met with gasping, shock, and awe. IMHO, Americans need to start pushing back, and pushing back harder.

If you're making low to mid-6 figures in your salary and you can afford to buy 3 Wilson 1911s and 2 HK M4geries and ammo and training to go with it, I think you'd be pretty well off. Again, I think you're missing the POINT of what he was trying to say. Roland doesn't care about the fact that he has a safe full of Glocks and ARs. He cares about what those Glocks and ARs do for him. He has a bunch of pistols and rifles that have common parts, maintenance, and manual of arms with which he can economically support easily and readily train others to use along side of him or independently of him should they be in a pinch and need it. Roland doesn't care about having a "collection", he cares about having a "tool set". If the ubiquitous pistols and rifles in this country were Walther PPXs and Steyr AUGs then I'd be willing to be that Roland would want PPXs and AUGs. But they aren't, so he doesn't. Glocks and ARs are essentially the safe "go-to" rifles and pistols in the US, so he does want those.
    And perhaps he is right. I think that Glocks are very good pistols that are fairly easy to learn on and are relatively easy to work on. I shoot them far more than anything else. But everything depends on the situation, and while Glocks and AR's would be tough to beat in Katrina type situation, they wouldn't work so well in a Hillary Clinton-America. There, S&W K and J frames, pump shotguns and 30/30's might be a much better choice.

And since we might be living in the United States of Clinton in less than four months it might be a good idea to own a number of defensive weapons that you'll be allowed to use in the out years in our new land of the unfree.

Napoleon said that it was a mistake to "paint a picture" of a battle before you fight it, and he was correct. Things never go as planned. The same is true on figuring out how to defend yourself. You don't know what is going to happen so it is best, in my opinion, to stay flexible, be prepared for different scenarios, and hope none of them ever happen.

Selling everything except Glocks and AR's and turning your gun safe into what looks like an arms room with lots of copies of the same weapon might be a very good idea, but it is also a huge bet on one scenario occurring and I doubt that anyone can predict the future that well. Certainly I can't so I like to preserve options.
    Last edited by Jeep; 10-10-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 172driver View Post
    Not sure this is accurate.

Here is the original link from Guns.com http://www.guns.com/2016/10/06/dea-s...-on-guns-ammo/

And the FBO link: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...tabmode=list&=

The FBO announcement seems to only be for ammo and does not support the guns.com story. Even if it is correct, I'm not sure why DEA would buy Glocks via a 3rd party vendor.

Like the FBI, the DEA has long issued Glock 22/23 gen 3 pistols as well as 17/19's for overseas use and for those agents who had issues with the .40 caliber versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    And perhaps he is right. I think that Glocks are very good pistols that are fairly easy to learn on and are relatively easy to work on. I shoot them far more than anything else. But everything depends on the situation, and while Glocks and AR's would be tough to beat in Katrina type situation, they wouldn't work so well in a Hillary Clinton-America. There, S&W K and J frames, pump shotguns and 30/30's might be a much better choice.

And since we might be living in the United States of Clinton in less than four months it might be a good idea to own a number of defensive weapons that you'll be allowed to use in the out years in our new land of the unfree.

Napoleon said that it was a mistake to "paint a picture" of a battle before you fight it, and he was correct. Things never go as planned. The same is true on figuring out how to defend yourself. You don't know what is going to happen so it is best, in my opinion, to stay flexible, be prepared for different scenarios, and hope none of them ever happen.

Selling everything except Glocks and AR's and turning your gun safe into what looks like an arms room with lots of copies of the same weapon might be a very good idea, but it is also a huge bet on one scenario occurring and I doubt that anyone can predict the future that well. Certainly I can't so I like to preserve options.
    Good points, Jeep. I keep the S&W 686+ and Remington 870 ready to rock & roll at a moment's notice, with plenty of ammo for each as well...though the Glocks and AR will be my go-to firearms absent a reason to choose otherwise.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I know "Roland"; he is one of the few people whose comments I pay very close attention to, as his experience level and knowledge base is exemplary....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post

Very true and this is something that I've been considering for a couple of months now. I'm also a Glock shooter in an unrestricted state and if legislation comes to pass which restricts my ability to use standard capacity mags, I'll need to switch pistol platforms. I don't have the funds to just go out and buy what I'd need when that legislation comes down the pipe, but I at least have an idea of what I would be looking at, and of course, selling off what I needed to in order to snag said pistol that I would need.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I know "Roland"; he is one of the few people whose comments I pay very close attention to, as his experience level and knowledge base is exemplary....
    Roland is, to quote one of my favorite movies, "...not an eloquent man, but he speaks the truth".

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not sure this is accurate.

Here is the original link from Guns.com http://www.guns.com/2016/10/06/dea-s...-on-guns-ammo/

And the FBO link: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...tabmode=list&=

The FBO announcement seems to only be for ammo and does not support the guns.com story. Even if it is correct, I'm not sure why DEA would buy Glocks via a 3rd party vendor.

Like the FBI, the DEA has long issued Glock 22/23 gen 3 pistols as well as 17/19's for overseas use and for those agents who had issues with the .40 caliber versions.
    Seemed like a bit of a strange story to me. FWIW, I had heard that current agents in the academy have been getting Glock 17's.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Having killed more people that the plague kind of drives up one's experience level a bit.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Oh, and while I'm here......

“…there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9 mm and the .45 ACP cartridges.”
    Vincent J. M. Di Maio, GUNSHOT WOUNDS: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques SECOND EDITION, Page 150.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List