Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines opt for the 9 mil over 45s for special operators.

Marines opt for the 9 mil over 45s for special operators.

Good that they are seeing the light when it comes to using 9mm. However, is it just me or does the article seem idiotic?

Unfortunately for the General Corp, and the Army for that matter, they will continue to use 124 FMJ.

SOCOM, MARSOC, etc. will continue to be mission dependant. Also it will depend on the command authorization as well.

Now being limited to ONLY FMJ, what would you choose. By default the 45 230 FMJ would be a better option comparing FMJ bullets by themselves.

The regular military and "white SOF" will get stuck with FMJ. "Black Bag" types will have other options.

This is also old news. This was put out 6+ months ago. Even NSW is switching to Gen 3 G19s.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 10-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Unfortunately for the General Corp, and the Army for that matter, they will continue to use 124 FMJ.

SOCOM, MARSOC, etc. will continue to be mission dependant. Also it will depend on the command authorization as well.

Now being limited to ONLY FMJ, what would you choose. By default the 45 230 FMJ would be a better option comparing FMJ bullets by themselves.

The regular military and "white SOF" will get stuck with FMJ. "Black Bag" types will have other options.

This is also old news. This was put out 6+ months ago. Even NSW is switching to Gen 3 G19s.
    If we want to be arbitrary... 16 rounds of 9mm means you have 5.68 inches of bullet diameter. Now, we look at the .45 with 8 rounds (as I believe they selected 7 round magazines) and you only have 3.616" of bullet diameter. The 9mm wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the USMC then have three handguns fielded?:
    -G19gen3 (the linked article shows a photo of a G19Gen4, and I wouldn't know if the USMC could be using both Gen3 and Gen4 models or only one version)
    -Beretta M9A1 (I suspect there are still M9 models without rails out there, too)
    -Colt M45A1 (the railed 1911), but still could be using older built-for-MEUSOC 1911 models).

Can anyone confirm or correct my understandings?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Does the USMC then have three handguns fielded?:
    -G19gen3 (the linked article shows a photo of a G19Gen4, and I wouldn't know if the USMC could be using both Gen3 and Gen4 models or only one version)
    -Beretta M9A1 (I suspect there are still M9 models without rails out there, too)
    -Colt M45A1 (the railed 1911), but still could be using older built-for-MEUSOC 1911 models).

Can anyone confirm or correct my understandings?
    Yes.

Technically the Marine Corps is fielding two, the Beretta's and 1911's. Only MARSOC is is using G19s. The G19s MARSOC is using were purchased and supplied by SOCOM.

MARSOC is part of the Marine Corps but they are also part of SOCOM and they receive part of their funding and equipment from SOCOM, who standardized on the G19 Gen 3.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-02-2016 at 12:08 AM.

90 percent of MARSOC's Colt M45A1's went to DRMO/ storage in the last year, most of the CSO's were not too terribly fond of that pistol due to the issues they were having with them, not to mention the fact that they were not conducive to all of the missions they were finding themselves on. The base SWAT teams (MP's) and the Recon community are still using them, GPF Marine Corps is still marching on with the M9 though some M9A1's have made their way out into the fleet. CID/NCIS is still rocking some M11's as well. At this point there should not still be any PWS built MEUSOC's still out but you never know with the way our armories are.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 10-02-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    If we want to be arbitrary... 16 rounds of 9mm means you have 5.68 inches of bullet diameter. Now, we look at the .45 with 8 rounds (as I believe they selected 7 round magazines) and you only have 3.616" of bullet diameter. The 9mm wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't trying to be arbitrary. I was just pointing out that a lot of people think the 9mm is the best round for a handgun. It is if you are using modern hollow points, especially those on DOCs list, in the ammo section. But the majority of Spec Ops is still stuck with the FMJ, if you are stuck with a FMJ bullet there are better handgun caliber options to shoot a target with. As a secondary weapon any way, the G19 is a great option. But the selected bullet design stinks.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 10-02-2016 at 04:47 AM.

Just noting that we have a 17 page thread on MARSOC use of the G19.

USMC-Approves-Glock-19-for-MARSOC

ETA: Not a great article. MARSOC use of the G19 (type designated as the Combat Assault Pistol by SOCOM in 2009) has been widely reported since early 2015, and actual use significantly predates that announcement. Plus as mentioned, the article shows pictures of the GEN4, whereas SOCOM issues the GEN3.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-02-2016 at 07:54 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

But the majority of Spec Ops is still stuck with the FMJ, if you are stuck with a FMJ bullet there are better handgun caliber options to shoot a target with.
    Not sure it matters much. I popped a couple of critters with .45 FMJ and was severely unimpressed with the wounds. Years ago Frank James mentioned using a BHP with an aftermarket barrel with some strange long twist (IIRC) rate that proved effective for varmit control on his farm (meow). Perhaps a 1in36 twist rate might jack up the FMJ bullets by allowing them to yaw and pitch in a critter.....

User Tag List