Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on my reloading journey so far

Good read.

I reloaded for almost a year on a rcbs singe stage. Mostly figured out what to do, and how to mostly avoid screwing it up. Was not in a living arrangement that made it possible to reload for the last 2 years, but now in my own home can get set up to do so again.

I have completely decided if I get back into it, I'm going as automated as I can - thinking dillion 1050. I only care about loading 9mm for bulk shooting. Reading your post makes that even more evident for me.

Although, I really could just budget in buying ammo for the rest of my life and be completely content as well. More time for family, running a business and just shooting.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I quit using acro bins awhile ago. I replaced them with the Teerco Easy Sorter - http://www.harborfreight.com/easy-so...ray-37081.html

These Dillon brand smaller lock rings are amazing. So much freaking easier to deal with when fine tuning dies! Of course, you need the Dillon tool set w/ holder for the low profile wrench but trust me, this stuff will make your life easier.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-16-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    I quit using acro bins awhile ago. I replaced them with the Teerco Easy Sorter - http://www.harborfreight.com/easy-so...ray-37081.html
    What do you like about these? The picture in the link does not tell me much.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    These Dillon brand smaller lock rings are amazing. So much freaking easier to deal with when fine tuning dies! Of course, you need the Dillon tool set w/ holder for the low profile wrench but trust me, this stuff will make your life easier.
    Do those adjust the same way as the RCBS lock rings, with a hex set screw digging into the die's threads? If so, then they get a big "meh" from me. I wish every die I own had Hornady lock rings; IMO they're roughly 6.2 million times nicer; instead of a solid piece all the way around, they have a gap which is bridged by a hex bolt. Tightening the bolt tensions the lock ring, holding it securely in place without damaging the die's threads.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Do those adjust the same way as the RCBS lock rings, with a hex set screw digging into the die's threads? If so, then they get a big "meh" from me. I wish every die I own had Hornady lock rings; IMO they're roughly 6.2 million times nicer; instead of a solid piece all the way around, they have a gap which is bridged by a hex bolt. Tightening the bolt tensions the lock ring, holding it securely in place without damaging the die's threads.
    No hex set screw on the Dillons. I have never used the Hornadys.
    #RESIST

Some of the RCBS lock rings used the split with allen screw clamp deal, they worked pretty well, but aren't the low profile like the Dillons.

Ive brought it up before, but one trick that saves frustration and time for me has been shallow baskets to hold brass and bullets when handling them. Easy to reach into and to toss done shells into, and if the basket is shaken sideways a little, the brass turns mouth up and is easy to pick up. When using the single stage and sizing or expanding I pick up 3-5 or 6 cases at a time. I find them handy with the Dillon for ingoing shells and for bullets, and dumping the acro bins into for boxing ammo or just looking it over. Thrift stores usually have them really cheap.

I only have one hornady lock ring but that part you need to stick the allen wrench into always ends up in a place I cant get to it. I'm probably doing it wrong.

I like the Dillon lock rings but I have had it loosen on me a couple times with the Lee decap die. I'm probably doing it wrong.
    Last edited by FPS; 10-16-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    You young whipper snappers probably don't remember when Lyman and RCBS came with lock rings that were just as nice as Hornady.

Actually, I don't either, but looking at older dies on Ebay makes this clear.

With the crappy lock rings, a good trick is to put a few beads of lead shot between the brass allen bolt and the thread bodies.
    Last edited by Greg; 10-16-2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Cuz I'm dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You young whipper snappers probably don't remember when Lyman and RCBS came with lock rings that were just as nice as Hornady.
    Indeed I don't. I've only been at this for ~5-6 years, and bought my RCBS 9mm and .380 dies then. It was only later, when I bought a Hornady Powder Cop to go with my then new LnL AP press, and it came with the nicer lock ring, that I learned the difference.

With the crappy lock rings, a good trick is to put a few beads of lead shot between the brass allen bolt and the thread bodies.
    That does sound like it would work well; in the event that I need to adjust mine at some point, I'll keep that in mind after I get done fighting the rings past the marred up portions of the threads. All future calibers for me will be Hornady dies just for the nicer rings unless there's a compelling reason to go a different route.

User Tag List