Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input for a New Corrections Officer"

Retired 9 years ago .. 25 years in Correction's.
    City Jail .. Medium Security .. Max Security and Super Max.
    JMO... Tell her to be the same from day one.
    Inmates and Convicts hate Officers who flip flop .. one day a hard ass the next day easy going.
    Don't tell inmates any personal info .. Don't date staff members.
    Don't act like a bad ass if you cannot back it up .. Learn the rules and regulations.
    Be fair .. you are not there to punish inmates .. you are there to baby sit them.

If she needs any help send me a private message .. I talk better than I write if you want to call me.

Good luck !
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 10-03-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My wife is a nurse practitioner in a medium security state corrections facility. She tells the inmates she will call their mama if they don't behave. And she's done it.
    Yes indeed. With about half our jail deputies being female and predominantly AA, hearing them verbally scold inmates and get nearly complete compliance is still fascinating for me to hear when I go into the jail to serve legal papers. The male deputies usually cannot talk to them that way without things going physical. A lady I worked with on the felon floor back in the early '80s would unload on any inmate walking out of their day room for chow with their hand(s) inside their jumpsuit caressing their junk. After the toungue lashing, they would sheepishly go back in, wash their hands, and go to the chow hall.

1) Inmates are not and never will be your friends.

2) Be polite (sir, ma'am, please, thank you).

3) Treat all inmates equally.

4) Be a hardass when necessary

5) Her first name is "Officer". Her last name is on her uniform. Inmates get no other personal information.

6) She will not have weapons if she gets into a fight in the facility. Martial arts training and practice, combined with physical fitness, should be something she does until she walks out of the place for good.

If it's wet, and it's not yours, don't touch it.

User Tag List