Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting read regarding training with timers.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is hard to take seriously a person who says they never use a timer in their practice.

As long as we are piling on, this struck me as odd:

My name is Grant Cunningham, and I’m a renowned author and teacher in the areas of self defense, personal safety, home and family defense, and instructor development.

I didn't know "renowned" was a description bestowed on you, by you.
    Relating to the timer thing, I'll just leave this here, from his bio page:
    "I’m a certified instructor for Combat Focus Shooting, Combat Focus Carbine and Home Defense Handgun through I.C.E. Training."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    I've heard Tom Givens, Claude Werner, and Dave Harrington say something along the lines of; how much time do you have in a fight? The rest of your life.
    I don't know who said it (Ayoob or Cirillo, maybe? One of the old school guys) but
    "A competition isn't a gunfight, but a gunfight is damn sure a competition" seems to sum it up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Relating to the timer thing, I'll just leave this here, from his bio page:
    "I’m a certified instructor for Combat Focus Shooting, Combat Focus Carbine and Home Defense Handgun through I.C.E. Training."
    Yeah, his sensei doesn't like timers so of course neither does he. I wonder if he also doesn't like dryfire and prefers to carry his mags bullets backwards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Yeah, his sensei doesn't like timers so of course neither does he. I wonder if he also doesn't like dryfire and prefers to carry his mags bullets backwards.
    Ah... explains a few things

Weird thing is I'm pretty sure he was a renowned (or at least very well respected) revolver 'smith, but seems to have retired from that and hung his training shingle out on a fairy thin resumé.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I got into a interesting discussion with the Sage Dynamics guy on Instagram about this same thing. I kept getting back to how do we measure our gains and success without a timer? As a civilian who doesn't have money for sims or a job that creates the situation where I may draw on someone daily/more then my life time, a timer seems like a good thing. I can track my performance across many drills and test. His argument kept coming back to no timers in a gun fight. This literally makes me want to rage quit the "industry". It makes me want to copy and paste my DD214 for all to see so I can say, "no fucking shit asshole, I have been in a fucking gun fight". I think if I would of said that or posted my dd214 he would of blocked me and not continued our discussion. I second Luke, this guy probably isn't the best shooter and has a million reasons why we shouldn't use timers or drills.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-30-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    His argument kept coming back to no timers in a gun fight.
    There's often a par time, though. Not making it gets you or someone else shot.

Shit, I thought I'd heard good things about Mr. Cunningham from some in-the-know folks. I guess he's a stupid piece of fuck because he thinks a tenth of a second difference or whatever in reload speed won't get you killed in the streets. The idea that there might be more important things to consider in a deadly force type situation than blazing fast splits? Absolutely ludicrous.

Though in the spirit of piling on, he has silly hair.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

This bothered me, regarding reloads and how rare they are in a gun fight:

.....The logical conclusion is that reloading the gun isn’t a skill that’s terribly important in the scheme of things. It doesn’t merit a lot of instructional time or practice effort, and in fact the video itself wasted more time and energy than the topic was worth.
    Hard for me to take him seriously after reading that.
    Last edited by Lon; 10-01-2016 at 01:24 AM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Interesting read regarding training with timers.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ...I kept getting back to how do we measure our gains and success without a timer? As a civilian who doesn't have money for sims or a job that creates the situation where I may draw on someone daily/more then my life time, a timer seems like a good thing. I can track my performance across many drills and test. His argument kept coming back to no timers in a gun fight...
    This. Without measurable data how do we know if our training regimen is effective? There are really only two things we can track; time and/or accuracy. If we're making improvements in those areas we're training effectively. If not, we need to examine our practice sessions and make adjustments.

The no timers in a gunfight is the gun guy version of the 1990s combatives guys "no ref in the street" idiocy. What's the next mind blowing gem waiting to drop? Water is wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 10-01-2016 at 06:39 AM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List