Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to max perform Mr_White's school test

How to max perform Mr_White's school test

I am very excited Gabe has filled another class, and am hopeful he will be taking his show on the road regularly. Several folks have asked me about some of the fine points of Gabe's school test, so I thought I would put my thoughts down here, before they fly out of my head forever.

A small subset of Gabe's overall class is the testing, consisting of four tests, each run twice. If you want a turbo/beast pin, you need to shoot at least four out of the eight runs of the test at the turbo level. It doesn't have to be at least one of each test, just four or more out of all eight runs. While each of the tests is slightly different, they all break down to three subcomponents -- a 1.0 draw from open carry, .20 splits to the body at seven yards, and .50 splits to a four inch circle on the head box at seven yards. If you shoot the test from concealment (or a real duty holster), you get an extra .25 second deducted from your raw time. A "C" costs you .25 second, a "D" costs you 1.0 second and a "miss" costs you 2.0 seconds. I will address this later, but you will likely have to shoot all, or substantially all, A hits to make the turbo standard.

The very first thing you need to figure out is whether you should shoot the test from concealment or not. If you have a fast appendix draw from concealment, the .25 bonus for concealment may help you. If you shoot IWB concealed, it will be the rare person that is able to cleanly draw from concealed IWB in .25 more than their open draw. Open front concealed OWB is probably a wash to slightly positive if you have a good open front OWB draw, and are willing to accept the greater disaster factor that goes with a concealment draw. Since there are no reloads on the clock, closed vs open front is not a consideration, like it is with the FAST, for example.

Here are the tests:

Test 1 -- Bill Drill

Draw and shoot six A hits in 2.0 seconds or less (or in 2.25 from concealment). If you calculated a USPSA hit factor for this test, it would be 30 points/2 seconds = 15 HF. Shooting major, in USPSA, a C would cost you .066 seconds, and in minor, a C would cost you .133 seconds. So Gabe's penalty for less than perfect accuracy is 2-4 times more punitive than in USPSA. Nobody in our class, including Gabe, shot the Bill drill at the turbo level, and I think it is the single hardest of the four tests. Gabe's best run was 2.04, but he had a C, giving him a final, adjusted score of 2.04. My buddy, Skootz, who is a very talented shooter, had a 2.08 and 2.12 in raw time, but got sunk by just one C on each run.

To consider the strict accuracy requirement, consider that if shooting the Bill from open carry, you would need a Bill drill time faster than 1.75, to meet turbo standard, if you shot 5 A and 1 C hits.

Test 2 -- 2+1

Draw and shoot two A hits to the body, and one to the four inch circle in the head box in 1.7 seconds open carry or 1.95 concealed. Shooting the USP Expert, there is no way I could make the .20 body split, so I needed to make up time on the draw and transition to the head. As an example, my successful run was 1.82 raw, 3 A hits, adjusted to 1.57. If I had 1 B or C, it would have put me at an adjusted time of 1.82, ,or .12 slower than turbo standard. Skootz, who with his Sig, shoots much faster splits than me with the HK, rocked this hard with times of 1.56 and 1.57 before adjustments. Assuming a 1.0 second draw, that worked out to a .20 body split and .36 or .37 transition to the head.

Test 3 -- 2 CNS

Draw to two A hits to the four inch circle in the head box in 2.0 seconds from open carry or 2.25 from concealment. I found this to be the most doable of all four tests, no doubt because of the many FAST tests I have shot in previous years. This is one test, where some strategy may come in. Shooting from concealment, you can actually shoot just two B hits to the head, as long as you do that in 1.75 seconds or less. If you shoot one A, one B, you need to do that in 2.0 seconds or less. I tried to go fast on run one, and it almost bit me. On run two, I actually flubbed my draw, but stuck it and managed to shoot two A hits in an adjusted 1.85. YVK nailed this drill with two turbo level runs.

Test 4 -- 4/2

This is draw, four A hits to the body, then two A hits to the head in 2.6 seconds open carry or 2.85 concealed. I found this to be a hard test, because it essentially combines a four shot Bill drill with the two to the CNS, and obviously each additional shot and/or transition creates risk. Flub the draw, the body splits or the head transition, and you are done. I knew the .20 splits to the body put me into a deficit that I had to make up with the draw and head hits. My successful run was 2.67 raw, all A hits, adjusted to 2.42.

To best prepare for the four tests, you will need just a timer and one USPSA target at seven yards. Put each element of the test on the timer. Figure out whether you go open or concealed, and whether your draw is going to make up time for you or cost you time. Measure your splits to the body, and see how they shake out compared to the .20 standard. Then measure your splits to the four inch circle in the head compared to the .50 allowed. If you are superhuman and can rock all three elements on demand in front of an entire class, your job is easy. If one or more of the three elements is less developed, train that or those elements, or figure out what you can do better than standard to save time to apply to where you are not as strong.

I am in no way trying to reduce Gabe's class to the testing, because it is so much more than that. Much of that was covered in the various class reviews submitted. This is intended as a supplement for those interested in the testing part.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Here is the written description that Gabe distributes at the class:

Here is the turbo pin:

Thanks for posting. I actually think I could do 2 and 3.....after a warmup with no stress from a class watching ��

I want a damned turbo pin. Gotta work on my skillz first, can't reliably do 2 second bill drills on demand just yet.

ETA: I also want an electronic one that makes the Sex Panther roar every time I blaze a stage down.

Last edited by Peally; 10-17-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

So these are parts of the class and called Tests. They of course are also drills. I remember that Todd was somewhat adamant that the FAST not be run ad nauseam but infrequently as a measure of skill. Looking at what Mr. White is using here, I don't see that as being the case. Is that correct? I mean these are drills that someone can do extensively to increase their skills, not just as a way to get a pin. Am I making sense?

I think you're overthinking it. I've done a billion el pres drills, and I've yet to become complacent on them. Just gotta vary it up and not train the exact same thing all the time to be well rounded.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Even if you train just for this test if you get turbo you've still got good gun handling skills.

I've shot this once and it's a pretty beastly test. It's all about the draw in my mind.
    i used to wannabe

Gabe is committed to excellence in technical shooting, both as a shooting philosophy to motivate his practice and as a way to prepare for surviving a lethal encounter. As he said in class, whether you encounter the stress of competition or a crisis in the food court, would you like to start with low, medium or high technical shooting skills, given your actual performance will likely be degraded by stress.

Forgetting about his four tests, think of the elements of his tests -- a fast reliable draw, shooting fast, accurate shots to an upper chest sized target, and shooting reasonably fast, accurate shots to an upper CNS sized target. All those tasks would seem to be important regardless of whether you ever take his course.

In that all four tests, repeated twice only take 34 rounds, I think they are an excellent way to benchmark your current skill level, your progress in increasing your skill, and even as a way to evaluate your relative performance with different hardware, whether that be type pistol, caliber or method of concealment. Recently, I repeated the test with a Glock 26 and HK45C. I was able to make standard 4/8 tests with the 26, but just couldn't meet the times on tests 1,2 and 4 with the 45C. That was an eye opener for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Even if you train just for this test if you get turbo you've still got good gun handling skills.

I've shot this once and it's a pretty beastly test. It's all about the draw in my mind.
    No doubt Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    So these are parts of the class and called Tests. They of course are also drills. I remember that Todd was somewhat adamant that the FAST not be run ad nauseam but infrequently as a measure of skill. Looking at what Mr. White is using here, I don't see that as being the case. Is that correct? I mean these are drills that someone can do extensively to increase their skills, not just as a way to get a pin. Am I making sense?
    Even if you train just for this test if you get turbo you've still got good gun handling skills
    Yep, you got it. It's totally fine if people practice these engagement sequences/drills extensively. I specifically chose them because they work both as basic draw-and-shoot technical drills to drive improvement in shooting, and also resemble credible potential engagement sequences for self-defense. One important thing to note on that point is that the two head shots are not representative of a plan to actually shoot someone twice in the head - they are not going to be there after the first hit. But things can go wrong on that first one, so the second shot in the drill/test is just a training device to very strongly emphasize follow-through after the first shot.

So anyway, if you get really good at drawing and shooting these sequences of shots, I think you are going to have some really mentally-and-physically slicked up core defensive responses with a pistol - get it out rapidly and immediately start making accurate hits at the outer edge of 'likely' self-defense distances, about as fast as you can make the gun shoot. If the tests motivate anyone to develop that capability, then awesome.

In class, we run one of these drills a bunch of times, pushing and trying to improve our skills and learn from the mistakes we make in doing so. Then we shoot it several more times to reassert simply shooting the sights and shooting on-demand. Then I come by and time and score each person individually on two runs of that drill. Those are the actual tests. I go first. That happens four times spread throughout the two days of class, once for each of the four drills. I attempt to put people in a position to succeed on it, even though the fact that it is the actual test is probably a strong counterweight. I was definitely stressed by it.

It's all about the draw in my mind.
    Like everyone, I of course designed a test to emphasize the things that I personally am good at.

In all seriousness, I think that's inevitable even as I joke about it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List