Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

My .02 w/ Sords & TCI DEHPs

Saw the email earlier today on LF but thx. to Pat (RIP brother) in 2008, I bought OTH Sordin Pro-Xs from a LF brother (Triad Tact), upgraded in 2013 when TCI had a 40% off Mem. Day sale w/ BTH DEHPs (TY again Pat) & nary an issue w/ either one since my initial purchases.

Since I posted it here i'll post it again, just got an email from safariland...

VIPs GET UP TO 25% OFF
    It’s true, good things come to VIPs! We wanted to say thanks for being one of our most valued customers. This week enjoy an exclusive offer of 25% off duty gear, Hatch® products, and firearm accessories, and 20% off all purchasable products site-wide May 15-19, 2017.*
    Enter promo code 052017 at checkout.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I experienced a little high frequency hearing loss while waterfowling one day (watch cap interfered with seal on electronic ear muffs. Lesson learned). I may be more sensitive to muzzle blast than most people, so this subject is important to me. I have several electronic hearing muffs within reach of different firearms at the homestead. I've been quite satisfied with the performance of ProEars Gold models. I might check out Sordins just out of curiosity someday -

http://proears.com/pro-tac-mag-gold-series

P.S. - the Sordins have a stated rating of NRR 18, the Pro Ears above have a rating of NRR 30. So why are the Sordins so popular ?
    Last edited by SamAdams; 05-17-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Behind the head DEHP's came in. Haven't had a chance to test them on the range but a little house testing seems to indicate audio compression, removing loud noise while allowing more moderate sound to come through.

I actually wish they amplified a bit more, double muffing with my 37? DB custom plugs makes it hard to hear normal conversation.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post

P.S. - the Sordins have a stated rating of NRR 18, the Pro Ears above have a rating of NRR 30. So why are the Sordins so popular ?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/trevoro...db-rating/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post

If I recall correctly, NRR is based off of the dampening of passive/constant noise. It is not a complete measurement of PPEs ability to mitigate or attenuate acute noise, like gunfire reports.

I know that I have had no issues with my Sordins at classes and doing 1-2 person long gun shooting. I would double up at a rifle class or indoor range, but I'd honestly do that with any other PPE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    As I said the last time this was posted:

What jumps out at me is that write up only shows the performance of the MSA Sordin product over various frequencies, NOT that they out perform other products over the various frequencies.

I'll add, that the Sordins were designed for use by military and LE tactical teams, with a low profile so they can be worn with helmets, and additional electronics for comms. These are things most of us don't need for range use, and don't need to pay to get. While a slimmer profile can help some people with keeping a seal when shooting long guns, most of us don't need to sacrifice additional protection to get the very low profile needed to fit under a helmet.

You must sacrifice noise reduction performance to get a smaller size. The folks at MSA Sordin could get even greater performance if they would build larger sets, but that's not what they're building, and marketing for, with their headsets. They are making headsets for tactical teams using helmets and comms.

For use where the helmets aren't needed, larger headsets can be used to get a greater noise reduction.
    Last edited by DMF13; 05-18-2017 at 01:07 AM.

For me the sordins work better than other stuff because they seal better. I wear a hat and sunglasses when I shoot and the gel really helps seal the gaps. I don't however use them like most. I don't turn them on and I double plug. I don't like to hear anything when I shoot. I'm easily distracted lol

They are also very comfortable and when I do turn them on the audio is very clear and crips. They also help me bond with the Timmy types at matches.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    For me the sordins work better than other stuff because they seal better. I wear a hat and sunglasses when I shoot and the gel really helps seal the gaps. I don't however use them like most. I don't turn them on and I double plug. I don't like to hear anything when I shoot. I'm easily distracted lol

They are also very comfortable and when I do turn them on the audio is very clear and crips. They also help me bond with the Timmy types at matches.
    I thought the double plugging was to block out the noise from that blasty-arse, teeth rattling open gun contraption you prefer to shoot.

Double-plugging and bonding... Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 05-18-2017 at 05:55 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List