Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The Peltor "non-military" models are cheap and don't last; I've been through a half-dozen of them. All have failed in less than a year. And all of the other less-than-$100 offerings I have tried are not any better; they are all Chinese crap, IMO.

Finally, I coughed up $300 for a set of Sordins... and found Nirvana. There is simply no comparison.

Fair enough. I literally just got my Peltors about a month or so ago. I'll run them until they die and then find something else/better. Hopefully I have a better experience with them than you have in the past.

I always double up.

Regardless of in or out doors.

The Sordin's are fantastic, but they aren't the be all end all.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm new to guns since 2013, but I have a technical background in acoustics, so I've always been interested in ear pro. Based on buying and using a number of different options, my current thinking is that you have to divide up the aspects of ear pro, weigh what is most important to you, and then make a choice.
    RJ, have you seen this article or the others like it? LINK

My interpretation is that NRR is an important aspect, but not the end of the story.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Aray; 09-30-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    RJ, have you seen this article or the others like it? LINK

My interpretation is that NRR is an important aspect, but not the end of the story.

What are your thoughts?
    Well, uh, I am more familiar with um, oceanographic sounds and all, and I'm not a gunshot expert, and while the article seems reasonable on the surface, it just does not jive with my (limited) personal experience.

The Sordin gel cups seal well, but I'd never wear them on an indoor range. I'd put them on par with the Howard Leight Impact Sports. They do not cut as much noise as my HL Impact Pros.

Both Sordin and Sports have low profile plastic outer shells with a surrounding cup, and a fabric inner.

The pros have a much bigger, more padded ear 'can'. For me, the Pros seal out much more energy.

I still like the Sordins because they are so darn comfortable. But I would not buy them thinking, oh, wow, these protect like a 30 NRR headset, because they don't. I just wish they weren't $300.

Just my $0.02...
    Last edited by RJ; 09-30-2016 at 11:02 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I ended up pulling the trigger on the Sordins w/ Gel cups for $189 shipped. I mostly prefer having some sort of electronic ear pro so I can be aware of what is around me at all times - I mostly practice solo in an action pistol bay at the large outdoor range I belong to, and like to know if there are others around me, mostly for my general safety as well as theirs.... and, of course, USPSA/IDPA/etc

My favorite is the mil surplus Nacre QuietPro, but these are hard to find and the ear inserts are expensive. The new Silynx may be even better. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, but a bunch of people on my USPSA team are very happy with it.
    https://www.silynxcom.com/products/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So, if I can get a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs with gel cup inserts for $189 shipped, very lightly used, should I jump on this?
    Here they are for that much new.

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/781/hunt...headband-green

Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

FWIW, and I'm not a shill for these guys, but just to re-quote some additional info from my contact from the Group Buy last year, www.srstactical.com:

"...Firstly a bit of information for you regarding the differences between the MSA Sordin Supreme models. The one you mentioned in your thread is a Pro (not Pro-X) ... This model is not totally waterproof and has only one year’s warranty. My advice to you and the group is to go for the Pro-X models which are fully waterproof and have 5 years warranty. Warranty covers the electronics and we handle all warranty issues from our base in Crystal River, Florida. All Supreme models with the exception of the Basic (not recommended) operate the same."

These guys offer their warranty service from the USA, 5 years, for the Pro-X models; one of the key reasons I went for the Pro-X, myself.

Just another purchase option on the Sordins.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-30-2016 at 03:51 PM.

I really like the Sordins. I appreciate the neckband build, as my favorite shooting hat has a button top.

I've also recently tried the Peltor model George showed earlier. I think I would be just as happy with those as far as performance.

Gel cups are a game changer for me.

If I bought new Sordins, it would be from SRS as Rich did. I don't think you are taking much of a gamble buying a gently used set at half cost, though.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

The Sordin's are fantastic, but they aren't the be all end all.
    So... What is?

User Tag List