Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    So, if I can get a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs with gel cup inserts for $189 shipped, very lightly used, should I jump on this?

If you want to save $136 then yes.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    If you want to save $136 then yes.
    I like saving $136.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So, if I can get a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs with gel cup inserts for $189 shipped, very lightly used, should I jump on this?
    Might check the warranty fine print.

I've heard there is a gray market version offered that is not covered by the Sordin USA folks.

But that might just be spin...from the Sordin USA folks.

Something else to consider is your glasses. Make sure your ear pro can seal around the temple. Depending on glasses and the shape of your head, not all are conducive to a good seal.
    Gel seals well, another great (but expensive) option are yhe soft seal kits/parts sold by oregon aero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Might check the warranty fine print.

I've heard there is a gray market version offered that is not covered by the Sordin USA folks.

But that might just be spin...from the Sordin USA folks.
    A gray market version?

The pair in question are olive drab with the woodland camo head band, come with the gel inserts.

I have a several year-old set of the Supreme Pro-X with the gel cups. Definitely agree with others on going with the gel cups, regardless of which model you get. I also double up with foam plugs, at least at indoor ranges, and at outdoor ranges if shooting positions are closely spaced.

Mine stay hung on the outside of my shoulder-carried range bag, and get pretty well banged up, as I go through doors, set the bag on the ground, toss it in the car, etc. No issues.

Electronic version is almost a necessity, as Rich said, if you're attending a class. Otherwise, I rarely turn them on.

Which reminds me. Customer service is great too. I decided on one range trip to plug in my phone and listen to some tunes. Couldn't get the audio to come through headset. After I got home and played with it some more, I gave up and called the company. Nice guy answered the phone, was very sympathetic, and said to send them in and they'd get right on fixing things. He then paused . . . I waited . . . and he said in a quiet voice, "You did turn them on, didn't you?" I said "Sure, but hold on a second." Checked them out . . . uh . . . pushed the button, and out came music. So I said "That's funny . . . everything is working now . . .". Then I 'fessed up.

Site Supporter
    For me, electronic muffs are just for keeping near my defensive firearms at home or when attending a class. If the class is indoors I double up.

For general range practice I use passive muffs, with plugs underneath if shooting indoors or under an awning.

I have both a passive set and an electronic set of ProEars and they have an excellent NRR. They aren't exactly inexpensive, but not overly pricey either.

I plan to buy a set of Sordins soon, with the gel cups.

When ever people talk hearing protection I recommend they look at this https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/tag/sordin/

All I wear is the Surefire plugs outside, is that no bueno / causing damage down the road?
    <Matthew 10:28>

User Tag List